Nacho Novo: Waving goodbye to Rangers will be my worst day ever

Nacho Novo today admitted heââ?¬â?¢s preparing for the worst day of his life ââ?¬â?? and an emotional farewell to the Rangers fans.

The Spanish striker will play against Motherwell on Sunday after fears he suffered a broken wrist in this week�s Old Firm game proved to be unfounded. Fans� favourite Novo, who has spent six seasons at Ibrox, winning three league titles, three League Cups and two Scottish Cups, is out of contract in a few weeks time.

And, while negotiations over a new deal have resumed in the past 24 hours between the club and his agent, Jorge Leira, unless there is a dramatic improvement in the wages being offered and the length of term, then Novo will leave.

Gordon Strachan�s Middlesbrough are leading the chase after the Championship side tabled a lucrative deal that is significantly above what cash-strapped Rangers have offered.

Three Spanish sides are also pursuing his signature.

Leaving is a decision that will break Novo�s heart, but he knows the SPL trophy presentation party this weekend could come at the end of his last appearance in a blue jersey.

ââ?¬Å?I think everyone knows how much Rangers and the fans mean to me,ââ?¬Â Novo said, ââ?¬Å?It will break my heart if I have to say goodbye.

ââ?¬Å?It will be an emotional day for everyone on Sunday as it might well be the last game for a few of us. At the moment, nothing has been agreed with Rangers.

ââ?¬Å?I am 30 years old now. I have my family and my own future to think about ââ?¬â?? Iââ?¬â?¢ll need to wait and see what happens in the next few days, but I have to say that the thought of having to say goodbye to the Rangers fans kills me. It would be the worst day of my life leaving this club after six years.ââ?¬Â

Novo, who has remained in the lowest paid bracket of players at the club since arriving from Dundee in 2004 for �£450,000, is not looking for a kingâ��s ransom to sign on again.

If Rangers were to come up with a decent increase, he would almost certainly agree to stay for less than he would get at Boro, and back in his homeland.

Kirk Broadfoot is in a similar position to Novo, in that he wants to stay but the money being offered to him means he is likely to quit.

Kris Boyd was told back in January that the new contract offered to him ââ?¬â?? believed to be around Ã?£18,000 a week ââ?¬â??was as high as the club could go. He is expected to move to England on a lucrative Bosman transfer.

Stevie Smith and DaMarcus Beasley will definitely move on, while Davie Weir�s future will be determined shortly.

Meantime, German side Hannover have been linked with a �£1million move for Lee McCulloch.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks-ignore/nacho-novo-waving-goodbye-to-rangers-will-be-my-worst-day-ever-1.1026078

Guest Flying Hippo

It will be an absolute disgrace if Novo is allowed to move on. Regardless of his limitations as a player, his wages are meagre and he's already said he can get better money elsewhere but would rather stay here. If we can offer Boyd a three year �£18,000 a week deal, which he isn't going to sign, then why can't we offer Nacho a 2 year �£10,000 a week deal? Many will say Boyd is a much more vital player to us, but i greatly refute this

We must do all we can to get the wee man tied down, while i agree he isn't a world beater what he does give u is heart,fight,hunger and desire and these are things which we need not just on the park but in the squad. He is a great impact player and if boyd does go giving a good few games he could get back to what he gave us 4 or 5 seasons ago and that is 20+ goals. He is not gold digging he has already stated that he would be willing to stay even if rangers don't match what boro' are offering, he must be one of the lowest paid in the squad of around �£5000 a week. We need Nacho to stay because he does bring heaps of attributes to the team and his fight and spirit is something that is hard to buy these days!

If he's not a regular starter, maybe he's just a luxury we can't afford at the moment?

I think he's a brilliant impact player now and to be honest, have been baffled by how under-used he's been at times this season.

Guest Flying Hippo
If he's not a regular starter, maybe he's just a luxury we can't afford at the moment?

I think he's a brilliant impact player now and to be honest, have been baffled by how under-used he's been at times this season.

It seems that the hierarchy of the club share this view, and we'll start next season with a squad of about 13 senior players. How Walter prefers Naismith to Nacho is beyond me. I just see absolutely nothing in Naismith's game that Novo couldn't do, and couldn't do better

It seems that the hierarchy of the club share this view, and we'll start next season with a squad of about 13 senior players. How Walter prefers Naismith to Nacho is beyond me. I just see absolutely nothing in Naismith's game that Novo couldn't do, and couldn't do better
Totally share this view I just don't see Naismith cutting it i don't see anything in his game that convinces me otherwise!

I agree Naismith is off form and hasn't been doing it. However, Novo is 30/31 and Naismith is 23 and imo Naismtih can still improve. He hasn't been playing in his proper position enough, although he wasn't great with Lafferty during Miller and Boyd's injuries. I am with you guys that Novo is a great impact player and tries his very best all the time and I would like to see him sign on but is it value for money for us? I certainly hope so.

Guest Flying Hippo

Novo could do the job he does for another 5 years, on relatively small wages

Letting him go now would rank up there with releasing Caniggia and replacing him with Capucho