All Bears - Please boycott the NOTW

Given that I've recently removed links to NOTW articles posted here in preference that we just post the text of their articles in quotes and don't give them extra website hits, I'm posting this thread in support of something I just noticed has been started by Vanguard Bears. VB are calling for all Bears to boycott the News Of The World and although I'm not a member of VB, I think it's a good call.

You can read the whole (lengthy!) VB article here - http://www.vanguardbears.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=291&Itemid=26

It worries me that anyone would want to read that trash in the first place regardless of boycotts or otherwise. It's gutter journalism at its worst.

Can't argue with that at all. I doubt many (if any) Gersnet forum members would actually buy the NOTW anyway, but you never know and the boycott also includes not posting links to their website articles because they make money from advertisers for every single hit.

Knowledge is the food of life, it depends how you use and sort that knowledge, censorship is for a society that doesn't trust people to think for themselves, people paid the ultimate price to oppose the censors and book burners, I for one have no wish to see that sacrifice cast aside. You propose the thin end of a very big wedge Zappa, trust in truth for all else is untruth.

Knowledge is the food of life, it depends how you use and sort that knowledge, censorship is for a society that doesn't trust people to think for themselves, people paid the ultimate price to oppose the censors and book burners, I for one have no wish to see that sacrifice cast aside. You propose the thin end of a very big wedge Zappa, trust in truth for all else is untruth.

It's not censorship that I'm advocating though wabash. I'm saying we shouldn't give the NOTW advertising revenue by posting links to their articles. All we have to do is copy/paste the content of an article and post it on the forum in quote tags. That way we're not helping to fund their sensationalist garbage and helping to fund the payment of Rangers haters such as Phil McGillivan.

Someone has to read it to cut and paste it.

Yes they do, but another couple of hundred people don't need to subsequently give the NOTW web hits. If all the Gers sites adopted a no NOTW links policy the NOTW would be losing thousands of web hits per week (per day in some cases), which adds up to a lot over an extended period of time.

I'd start by banning (voluntarily of course) all talk about the NOTW on Rangers forums

Last year someone suggested that approach with regards to Britney and his articles and I'm sure quite a few people liked the idea, but IIRC the consensus was that they should be allowed to be discussed, so I doubt it'll happen in this case MF.

Last year someone suggested that approach with regards to Britney and his articles and I'm sure quite a few people liked the idea, but IIRC the consensus was that they should be allowed to be discussed, so I doubt it'll happen in this case MF.

I'm not for an imposed banning on any subject, just for people exercising common sense.