I see a few of the 'everythings fine' mob on FF are giving it the old 'he's 31 and past his best, so what?' treatment

Novo's age and ability are not the reason why i'm so devastated by this news. It proves that Rangers can no longer afford to keep even their lowest paid players when it comes to contract renewal time. And that loyalty only works one way at this club now

Novo this year. Probably Thomson and Papac next year. Shame on you Mr Murray, shame on you

FH, that bunch of wankers wouldn't know 'everything's fine' if it kicked their arses and introduced itself. Novo at 31 isn't exactly on the scrapheap yet and could have continued to do a job for Rangers for a couple of years yet - as well as providing some heart in the dressing room.

Guest Flying Hippo

Every club has a few players who are kept on predominantly because of their influence around the camp, rather than them being irreplaceable or whatever. Novo was one of those lads we were better for just having at the club. Who will we turn to 30 times next season from the bench at the 65 minute mark? The bold Andrius Velicka?

Guest Flying Hippo
A player being over the hill at 31 years of age? I've heard it all now.

Correct. Where there any signs last season that Novo's legs had gone? I certainly didn't see any. Claudio Caniggia was running around like a madman in the SPL when he was 36 ffs

Correct. Where there any signs last season that Novo's legs had gone? I certainly didn't see any. Claudio Caniggia was running around like a madman in the SPL when he was 36 ffs

To be fair, Novo didn't play enough minutes of football to feel tired. :D

However, no way is Novo over the hill. I reckon he'll outscore Messi next season. ;)

Guest Flying Hippo

Striker Nacho Novo has revealed a lack of starting opportunities persuaded him to quit Rangers this summer.

The 31-year-old Spaniard has agreed to join Sporting Gijon following the end of his Ibrox contract and revealed he was never really interested in extending his six-year stay in Glasgow.

"I felt angry when I was always a substitute and I felt sick about being left out of big games," he told the Scottish Sun.

"I just couldn't face another season as a sub at my age and I hated being called a super sub.

"I feel I'm better than that after six incredible years at Rangers.

"I'm heartbroken at leaving and I've been feeling very emotional over the last few weeks."

I 100% agree with everything he says. Imagine being dropped in favour of Naismith 30 times in a season

Striker Nacho Novo has revealed a lack of starting opportunities persuaded him to quit Rangers this summer.

The 31-year-old Spaniard has agreed to join Sporting Gijon following the end of his Ibrox contract and revealed he was never really interested in extending his six-year stay in Glasgow.

"I felt angry when I was always a substitute and I felt sick about being left out of big games," he told the Scottish Sun.

"I just couldn't face another season as a sub at my age and I hated being called a super sub.

"I feel I'm better than that after six incredible years at Rangers.

"I'm heartbroken at leaving and I've been feeling very emotional over the last few weeks."

I 100% agree with everything he says. Imagine being dropped in favour of Naismith 30 times in a season

Walter picks the team and to be fair it is very hard to critiscize him given what we achieved , yes we will miss Nacho but at the end of the day he had plenty of chances to grab the starting slot , also he was never going to be a pick ahead of Boyd or Miller

Sorry to see him leave, but his talismanic worth to the side at times outstripped his football abilities. In addition, it was up to Nacho to be better than Naismith et al and in Smth's eyes he wasn't. That''s not Walter's fault, is it ?

Guest Flying Hippo

It's not Miller and Boyd he was in competition with for a starting place, it was Naismith

Naismith started 28 games and scored 4 goals

Novo started 20 games and scored 9 goals

Those stats barely even scratch the surface of just have invisible/inept Naismith was last season though, and it is to Nacho's credit that he knuckled down and didn't moan during the season despite a lesser player being constantly picked ahead of him

Edited by Flying Hippo