Rangers FC no longer for sale

One thing I can't help wondering though, is how on earth these people got his mobile number to be sending him abusive texts. He states that FF admin all have his mobile number, but you wouldn't like to think that a member of forum admin would pass around a members number

the answer to your question lies in this paragraph.

Edited by OnlyOneAmoruso

From RM.

After today's NARSA AGM, a stellar line up of Rangers worthies took to the top table for a Question and Answer session lasting 75-80 minutes. Club Chairman, Alastair Johnston was centre stage, flanked by Walter Smith and Martin Bain. Also seated were Kenny McDowall, Bomber Brown, Big Amo', Colin Stein, Jim Stewart, and Jim Hannah. Both the League Championship trophy and the League Cup flanked the assembled cast. A queue of Bears queued for access to the microphone to pose their question in an open forum. There were many ancedotes and genuinely funny interchanges; however, I will confine this report to the business end of our great club.

First question was a reference to the so-called journalist, Graham Spiers. When will the club stand up against him? The Chairman answered that the breadth of the medium was such that Spiers pieces were of increasing less importance ie Bears know whats going on, and non-Bears too. The Chief Executive chimed in with both Spiers and his Editor were called in and told the score. Further, he gave an assurance that the Editor of the Boston Globe had also been taken to task. The original questionaire returned to the microphone to demand a third trophy, "Graham Spiers head". The applause echoed around a packed hall.

Second question was based on marketing, questionaire worked in South Korea and mentioned his local shopkeeper wore a green'n'grey hooped jersey, why are Rangers not pursuing markets further afield? Martin Bain answered that club policy was to sign a player because the Manager wanted him and NOT because of current commercial policy.

Forth question was on Danny Wilson, is he leaving and if he is determined to go, is he receiving bad advice? Walter was pragmatic, EPL is a huge draw and the fact his Agent is English and more aware of the market down south, have determined the player and his family have decided to make the most of any opportunity available. Walter added that Rangers have already knocked back one bid from Liverpool.

Fifth question was simple and direct, "is a takeover imminent"? The Chairman spent time at length articulating the strictness of Stock Exchange regulations. His recent press comments had led to being threatened by a Stock Exchange yellow card, as such he was determined to remain within the guidelines. However, he does not regret the comments because he believes the Rangers support should be kept informed. He shares the frustrations and also wants to demonstrate that the job of Chairman is on going and not only about facilitating any proposed takeover. He confirmed discussions with Ellis were continuing. Interestingly, he chose not to use the word, 'progressing'.

Our Chairman became quite garrulous, apologised for the time taken and attention to detail being imparted, then continued with club relations with Lloyds. A meeting with the bank took place after the Championship was secured. This was deliberate, ensuring the club was dealing from a position of greater strength. A subsequent meeting occurred after Rangers CL place was secured. He admitted the relationship with Lloyds was poor at the start of his tenure. He was determined that the bank only dealt with himself and the club Board, and not through a third party. The Chairman's choice of words at this part are significant, "I wanted to ensure the bank only spoke to me and the Board and did not speak to the club through Murray". The bank are reassured by the club's business plan and accepted a proposed meeting with Walter Smith. The Manager's resigning and both McCoist's and McDowall's extended contracts are a result of this final club/bank meeting.

Until the Ellis bid or any other firms up, then the current Board will get on with the job. There is a sub-Committee charged with assessing any proposed bid, tasked with : (i)total elimination/substantial elimination of club debt. (ii)ensuring any proposal includes significant investment in the playing squad. The Chairman was at pains to stress the day of unchaperoned owners/investors was over and the current Board will be extremely vigilant on supporters behalf, should a new buyer be found.

The fifth question was on youth development and Kenny McDowall answered, it will be slightly easier for younger players to make the break through as the club NEED them to make the grade. He mentioned Bendicksen, Ness, and Stirling as likely. Walter added the current first team squad was 13 or 14 at the moment.

Question number six was specifically on the tax issue before the club. Alastair Johnston stated three points : (i)the scheme run under the former Chairman was NOT illegal. (ii)the scheme was tax avoidance as opposed to tax evasion. (iii)the government agency's assessment raised against Rangers had been appealed by Rangers. Further, he was offering no guarantees but was confident of winning the appeal because all advice taken were of the opinion that the club would prevail.

As stated, there were many other questions, ranging from Weir's influence as Skipper, through young keepers coming through, to Jim Forrest's enforced absence from the '67 ECWC final. All worthy, but I wanted to concentrate on the current situation. Obviously, I have included a slant where I thought language useage was significant. However, I have attempted to play this with a straight bat. I know we are a club with far more questions than answers, but I had a feeling today that the current incumbants accepted the the very real reality of the current situation and were willing to grasp the nettle. All Bears should be grateful to NARSA for creating this window of opportunity.

Also from AJ tonight.

Also, for the record, AJ was asked at the NARSA Q & A today over there about the Ellis deal......

He seemed quite positive about it and said 'I need to be careful what I say due to stock market regulations but it's definitely not dead'

SDM also constantly referred to as 'Murray'. Stated he was warned he'd be yellow carded as chairman if he blabbed about the Ellis deal but I think it was half jokingly.

"Murray" .... doesn't that sound better than the constant fawning and forelock tugging that used to go on whenever Sir Blowhard was mentioned. It's snippets like this that give me some hope that Rangers is still there beneath the Murray, Dingwall, RST, Spiers, handwringing, self-policing, sanitised, sit down shut up bollocks (that word again) of the last decade or more. Season ticket application on the way the day it finally reverts to the great, proud club we once were.

"Murray" .... doesn't that sound better than the constant fawning and forelock tugging that used to go on whenever Sir Blowhard was mentioned.

I like it when AJ does that too but I genuinely think when he says "Murray" he usually means the Murray Group, rather than the minted megalomaniac as an individual.

He said it a few times at the AGM iirc and has been doing the same for a few months now.

Just IMHO.

I tend to think of it as "recall", but your input is perfectly acceptable :)

Good point, but I'd have thought that the phrase "If I remember correctly" is more commonly used. (?)