Not breaking the bank for Boyd is a false economy

I've been thinking about our offer of �£20k p/w to Boyd and while I'm a little surprised that Boyd hasn't decided to accept the offer and stay at Ibrox, I can't help thinking that not increasing the offer is a false economy. If we had offered him �£30k p/w it would only have cost us an extra �£500k per year and if we'd tied him to a 3 year deal, we may well have been able to get offers of well over �£3 million for him come January or next summer...

But we have a strict wage structure in place now which personally, I think is a good thing. If we offer him 30K a week, what's to stop someone like Kevin Thomson demanding parity? Or Steve Davis? Its a slippery slope.

Apart from Birmingham, no-one was exactly beating a path to Ibrox to try and sign him at any point in the last couple of seasons (that we know of), so it would have been a gamble to offer him a bumper deal. When was he at his peak for us, possibly leading up to him breaking Larsson's record? If no massive club came in for him then, I think that tells its own story.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Boyd fan, but if he wants to go then I think we just accept it and move on. He's more than done his bit for us in helping to deliver 2IAR, so that's just life.

But we have a strict wage structure in place now which personally, I think is a good thing. If we offer him 30K a week, what's to stop someone like Kevin Thomson demanding parity? Or Steve Davis? Its a slippery slope.

Apart from Birmingham, no-one was exactly beating a path to Ibrox to try and sign him at any point in the last couple of seasons (that we know of), so it would have been a gamble to offer him a bumper deal. When was he at his peak for us, possibly leading up to him breaking Larsson's record? If no massive club came in for him then, I think that tells its own story.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Boyd fan, but if he wants to go then I think we just accept it and move on. He's more than done his bit for us in helping to deliver 2IAR, so that's just life.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I can't help thinking that the club should have privately offered him whatever it would have taken (maybe only �£25k p/w) to get him signed up. They could have gotten Boyd to agree to keep his mouth shut about his wages and we'd have his services until a good offer came in for him.

As you say, if he's definitely gone now, all we can do is accept it & move on, but I get the feeling that the club should make exceptions to their rules if it's going to be beneficial to do so..

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I can't help thinking that the club should have privately offered him whatever it would have taken (maybe only �£25k p/w) to get him signed up. They could have gotten Boyd to agree to keep his mouth shut about his wages and we'd have his services until a good offer came in for him.

As you say, if he's definitely gone now, all we can do is accept it & move on, but I get the feeling that the club should make exceptions to their rules if it's going to be beneficial to do so..

Could we really afford to offer one player that wage? We would lose some of the budget trying to bring in new players if we offered him that. I am sad to see him go but if he wants to move elsewhere then let him, well we have no choice :P.

I can see what you're saying, pay him 500k more and if we only get 1.5M next year, it's still a profit. However, it's still a gamble and if you treat every player like that, we could have a huge wage bill and then paying players off as they are not up to scratch and we can't afford them.

That's what happened in the past and we can't go there again - especially with the bank doing a bit of back seat driving.

Guest Flying Hippo

Kris Boyd is not worth �£30,000 a week and being Rangers highest earner. End of. As usual when reports of Boyd leaving come out, people start making out like he's indespensible to the club. He scored 4 goals from open play in his last 19 games for the club and 1 goal in 4 and a half years against Celtic, don't forget

For someone to be earning �£30,000 a week in the SPL and to be his club's highest earner by �£10,000 i'd be expecting them to be putting in absolutely sensational shifts every single game. Henrik Larsson and Dado Prso spring to mind. Not someone who looks lazy and disinterested and who contributes nothing in games where he doesn't score. Scoring 25-30 goals in the SPL is not particularly difficult when you play for the best team in the league and you're not expected to do any donkey work outside the box. Would you pay Anthony Stokes �£30,000 a week?

Edited by Flying Hippo

I know what you are saying Zappa, but you also have to look at this from Boyd's perspective, not just the club's.

Whilst it may have cost us 30k a week to provide him with what he has reputedly been offered at Birmingham you are also forgetting that by signing for Birmingham (or any other team) he is more than likely going to be getting a 7 figure signing on bonus - it could quite easily be as much as 2 million plus (when you consider Birmingham offered us 3.5 mill for him and they now get him for nothing) - we simply couldn't have afforded that.

Then, as has been said above, you run the slippery slope of having others demand parity or they get pissed off - it could very easily disrupt the harmony of the playing staff (although... the harmony we have seen in the last couple of seasons is slowly being ripped away with all the departures anyway).

The time to give Boyd (and any player) a new contract was when he had 2 years left on his current deal, not when he is permitted to sign a pre-contract elsewhere.

That said, the powers that be need to determine whether it would be more financially beneficial to allow a player to leave for a fee in January or for free at the end of the season where that player could be the difference between winning and losing the league. But even then the player has the option to sit tight, as Boyd did last January.