DAVIE wants to remain a Ger in Walter Smith's final season

More...

DAVID WEIR has admitted that he wants to stay at Rangers for one more season and try to help the club win three SPL titles in a row.

The 40-year-old defender had contemplated giving up the game he loves this summer after he had secured a memorable double with the Light Blues in May.

But Walter Smith's decision to sign a new one-year deal, his last in football, has reignited Weir's desire to play on.

And he will sit down with the manager, and Chief Executive Martin Bain, at the start of next month in a bid to continue his remarkable career at Ibrox.

He said: "My first option was to stay on if I could.

"I was obviously waiting to see what happened with the gaffer.

"If he stayed and he thought I could play on then it was always in my mind I would.

"If he believes I can play on then that's the most important thing. I've always trusted the gaffer's judgement.

"I believe I can play for another year - and so does he - but I haven't spoken with him directly.

"We keep missing each other on the phone, but when I get back from holiday we will talk.

"Listen, I won't be difficult to deal with. I know the club is the right place for me.

But obviously I will need to speak with the family and make sure they're fine with everything."

Weir joined Rangers in January 2007, initially as a 'stop-gap' signing.

But after three-and-a-half hugely successful years in Scotland he is hungry for more.

Speaking to the Scottish Sun, he added: "Last season fuels the desire.

"The Champions League is something else to savour because it's a stage every player wants to play on.

"But listen, just playing for Rangers is a great thing. It's a challenge every week and I love it.

"We won the league last season but the reality is, that's already done with.

"It's gone and we need to start looking towards the new season.

"It's a new challenge and that's what it's all about.

"But I have always taken it one step at a time.

"I never thought of myself as a stop-gap signing, but at the same time I never looked too far into the future.

"If you look too far ahead you always end up with egg on your face. You can trip yourself up.

"I signed a one-year deal at the start of last season and I was fully focused on the campaign.

"If I get the chance to sign a new deal then I'll treat things exactly the same.

But obviously I will need to speak with the family and make sure they're fine with everything."

Weir joined Rangers in January 2007, initially as a 'stop-gap' signing.

But after three-and-a-half hugely successful years in Scotland he is hungry for more.

David WeirSpeaking to the Scottish Sun, he added: "Last season fuels the desire.

"The Champions League is something else to savour because it's a stage every player wants to play on.

"But listen, just playing for Rangers is a great thing. It's a challenge every week and I love it.

"We won the league last season but the reality is, that's already done with.

"It's gone and we need to start looking towards the new season.

"It's a new challenge and that's what it's all about.

"But I have always taken it one step at a time.

"I never thought of myself as a stop-gap signing, but at the same time I never looked too far into the future.

"If you look too far ahead you always end up with egg on your face. You can trip yourself up.

"I signed a one-year deal at the start of last season and I was fully focused on the campaign.

"If I get the chance to sign a new deal then I'll treat things exactly the same.

Edited by Frankie

Guest Flying Hippo

Just like last summer, we're subjected to at least one 'Weir wants to stay' story a week for months on end

He's staying, we get it

Guest Flying Hippo
I just don't understand why he hasn't signed already then...? Same with Broadfoot.

I guess Bain et al must be very busy with other matters. ;)

It was never announced that he'd signed a new contract at all last summer. He just turned up for pre season and the club expected that we wouldn't notice. Then of course it turned out that was initially on a gentlemans agreement and not a contract

I just don't understand why he hasn't signed already then...? Same with Broadfoot.

I'll be stunned if Broadfoot doesn't sign a new deal if he's been offered one because there's no way on this earth he'll be able to get a game for another club of anywhere near the same stature. The best he could hope for elsewhere is a move to a smaller SPL or Championship outfit. I'm really not too fussed whether he stays or goes though tbh. He won't be too difficult or particularly expensive to replace.

Guest Flying Hippo

I'd rather Broadfoot left tbh. Walter is very trigger happy with regards to Whittaker when Broadfoot is available and i think it's no surprise that Whittaker had by far his best season for the club last year when he got a regular run at right back and wasn't constantly dropped or moved to midfield to accomodate Broadfoot. Of course Whittaker needs competition, he wasn't without his bad spells last season, but Little seems a promising enough defender (anything that keeps him from being picked as a striker....) and Bougie can play right back aswell, if he's here

If we don't sell Bougherra, he'd be my preferred back-up for right back. Those forward runs he loves going on are perfectly suited to playing as a full back.

Guest Flying Hippo
You're a bugger for adding to your posts Hippo. I see you've added a bit about Boughie... :D

I do it all the time lol. Tend to post things very impulsively and then feel the quick need to edit them ;)

It was never announced that he'd signed a new contract at all last summer. He just turned up for pre season and the club expected that we wouldn't notice. Then of course it turned out that was initially on a gentlemans agreement and not a contract

Yeah, I didn't see anywhere that stated Weir has signed on for another year he must have been usually clubs announce these sort of things.