how many backed the english during world cup

Guest cptnairac

The Tartan army seems to be an group that has evolved from being anyone who supports Scotland at a match to more of an extreme pack where everyone starts to try and fit into a mythical stereotype.

It used to appear that Rangers fans made up the biggest bulk of the Hampden support, most probably because except for Celtic, Rangers had by far the biggest support. Celtic fans were conspicuous by their absence, probably preferring to fly Irish tricolours rather than the St Andrews saltire.

When that was the case we had huge attendances at Hampden and a very large travelling support. That seemed to start to change in the 80's with several spats with the SFA, strange omissions of very good Rangers players from the Scotland squad and with a lot of foreigners in a far better and successful Rangers team than the badly performing national side, they developed a more club before country attitude.

The vicious circle of less Rangers fans in the crowd combined with usual anti-OF sentiment from the rest of the Scottish clubs' fans seems to have built a strange anit-Rangers animosity in the newly morphing Tartan Army. This was highlighted and exacerbated by more SFA and Scotland manager shenanigans which ostracised two more Rangers players and forced a couple of others to turn their back on the Scotland team.

This has done nothing for the relationship Rangers fans have with the Scotland team and even moreso with the Tartan Army which seems to have developed into a hate-hate relationship.

Tribalism begets extremism and conformity and then inwards hostility breeds a malevolence that starts to permeate the tribe. And that's how it appears with the TA. They used to be lovable rogues who were only out for a laugh but it doesn't seem the same any more and they are not so cuddly.

I think it's a bit sad when a nation is always trying hard to tear itself apart with fighting factions, and the sooner we just get back to supporting our national team, the better.

Guest cptnairac
The Tartan army seems to be an group that has evolved from being anyone who supports Scotland at a match to more of an extreme pack where everyone starts to try and fit into a mythical stereotype.

It used to appear that Rangers fans made up the biggest bulk of the Hampden support, most probably because except for Celtic, Rangers had by far the biggest support. Celtic fans were conspicuous by their absence, probably preferring to fly Irish tricolours rather than the St Andrews saltire.

When that was the case we had huge attendances at Hampden and a very large travelling support. That seemed to start to change in the 80's with several spats with the SFA, strange omissions of very good Rangers players from the Scotland squad and with a lot of foreigners in a far better and successful Rangers team than the badly performing national side, they developed a more club before country attitude.

The vicious circle of less Rangers fans in the crowd combined with usual anti-OF sentiment from the rest of the Scottish clubs' fans seems to have built a strange anit-Rangers animosity in the newly morphing Tartan Army. This was highlighted and exacerbated by more SFA and Scotland manager shenanigans which ostracised two more Rangers players and forced a couple of others to turn their back on the Scotland team.

This has done nothing for the relationship Rangers fans have with the Scotland team and even moreso with the Tartan Army which seems to have developed into a hate-hate relationship.

Tribalism begets extremism and conformity and then inwards hostility breeds a malevolence that starts to permeate the tribe. And that's how it appears with the TA. They used to be lovable rogues who were only out for a laugh but it doesn't seem the same any more and they are not so cuddly.

I think it's a bit sad when a nation is always trying hard to tear itself apart with fighting factions, and the sooner we just get back to supporting our national team, the better.

Yeah they have managed thanks to the like minded hard left scottish media like the scottish sun . to dress themselves as cuddly likeable bastions of good nature .

but this was of course exposed during the scotland v norn iron friendly last year when the cuddly tartan army drowned out and boohed the NI anthem gstq .

the support of these lot are made up from extreme left scottish republicans/nationalists .

as i always say what flag is more despised amongst 99.9% of the tartan army . the union flag or the irish tri-colour ?

Yeah they have managed thanks to the like minded hard left scottish media like the scottish sun . to dress themselves as cuddly likeable bastions of good nature .

but this was of course exposed during the scotland v norn iron friendly last year when the cuddly tartan army drowned out and boohed the NI anthem gstq .

the support of these lot are made up from extreme left scottish republicans/nationalists .

as i always say what flag is more despised amongst 99.9% of the tartan army . the union flag or the irish tri-colour ?

Just a small point, GSTQ is not the NI anthem, it is the British national anthem. :spl:

What an incredibly stupid news story. Why anyone would try and push UEFA into punishing a football association because some attendees of a game booed a national anthem - and their own national anthem at that, is completely beyond me. Pathetic.

What an incredibly stupid news story. Why anyone would try and push UEFA into punishing a football association because some attendees of a game booed a national anthem - and their own national anthem at that, is completely beyond me. Pathetic.

You're absolutely right Calscot. The tartan army might be the most pathetic bunch of bastards and a national embarrassment but it serves no purpose to use equally squalid tactics to deal with them.

It would be far more appropriate to laugh at them for the morons they are. Anyone who actually believes the jacobite cause was synonymous with the interests of Scotland deserves all the ridicule we can muster. Lack of education, social mythology, and absence of genuine self-respect are what the tartan army is about and I wouldn't afford them any more attention than is strictly necessary.

I'm all for being a proud Scot but I'd rather that pride was expressed in the form of contribution to Scottish society than by a moronic parody of mock-Scottish muppetry and flaunting our loss of national identity. It confounds me utterly the apparent inability of so many to grasp the wonderful opportunity to be both Scottish and British - and to be so completely unable to distinguish between British and English. In my opinion, the English are a wonderful people, sharing the same social flaws as ourselves but blessed with equally deep and admirable characteristics. for my part at least, if I had to choose a neighbour I would find it difficult to choose anyone other than the one we already have. but I'd still love to see us gub them 7-0 at Wembley :)

The "Tartan Army" doesn't exist outwith the minds of a few media whores who can be relied upon for a quote should the need arise, and whose views are taken to represent the entirety of Scottish football fans...in fact, they remind me of a similar bunch a bit closer to home.