From the Daily Express, worthy of its own thread given the quotes on our policy:

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/185245/EXCLUSIVE-Walter-Smith-wants-wide-boy-for-3-in-a-row-bid/

WALTER Smith wants Rangers to wing their way to three titles in a row by swooping for a wide player in the coming days.

The Ibrox boss has already been linked with West Brom's �£3m rated international star Chris Brunt and says he's keen to boost his squad " sooner rather than later " after starting pre-season training at Murray Park yesterday.

Smith who has lost attackers Kris Boyd , Nacho Novo and DaMarcus Beasley over the summer was widely expected to spend much of his meagre transfer budget on a replacement hit-man but feels his priorities lie in other areas.

" We still have Kenny Miller, Kyle Lafferty, Steven Naismith, John Fleck and eventually Andrius Velicka when he is fully fit so we are not short of numbers there and have options in that department" explained the Rangers manager.

" We are however assessing other targets for the wider roles and hope to do something soon as we need to get players in before the season starts and give them time to get to know the other lads.

" Inquiries are being made and hopefully we can get some business done before we head to Australia for a pre-season tour in a fortnight."

Rangers won't be following rivals Celtic's route of taking players on trial in the coming weeks with Smith insisting they know who they want and it's a matter of seeing if negotiations with players and clubs can prove successful.

" We have lost a number of players in the past few weeks so need to build up the squad again " he added.

Twenty five year old Northern Ireland attacker Brunt is aware of Rangers interest and could be tempted to move across the border by the chance to play in the Champions League if a deal was struck.

"A lot of people go through their whole career and don't get a chance to play in Europe," he said recently " It's something I'd love to do. I've never played in European football so that would be my next goal as a player."

Seems we don't want any new strikers and we're concentrating on a creative players. Fair enough from me.

:)

I just hope that Walter doesn't squander most of his budget on one player who might not work out or get injured early in the season. I'd much rather we split the budget wisely and brought in 3 or 4 players because with 4 first team players having left, we're looking a bit thin. I suppose the plan might be to give another couple of the younger players more game time though, since the likes of Wylde is a shoe-in for Stevie Smith. If he's not looking for a striker, that just leaves Novo & Beasley to replace who both played as wingers for us.

Sounds like common sense to me.

I can't see us wasting money in wages or a fee for a centre half unless Wilson and Bougherra are going to leave. I know Walter has previous for signing too many defenders, but he's never had to operate under such a tight budget before so surely he won't make the same mistake again.

Guest Flying Hippo

I agree that wide players are needed more than strikers. I would be absolutely gutted if Lafferty was used as a left winger again next season