Draw for the CL

The main problem is David Murray and not Walter Smith. But let's not forget, even when bankrolled millions and millions Walter Smith was still time after time exposed in Europe and made little attempt to play attractive football. Other than a couple of seasons Europe has been epic fail after fail for Mr Smith.

Edited by Totti

So you would rather we had went down 5-0 in the first round too then ? We played defensively (some would call it playing to your strengths) pretty much the whole way through the competition - so why change a "winning" formula just because you reach the final ? (let me caveat this by saying that I, too, wish in the final that we had been more aggressive and went down fighting, especially as I always felt we would come off 2nd best to Zenit - but a manager is employed to win games and WS had a formation and tactics that had served him well against very good teams). So whilst I was disappointed, like you, I still wont begrudge him the tactics he employed.

You make your own luck. He got there. End of. How he got there is almost irrelevant.

Back on topic... I agree with you - Man U arent as tough a team as they were 3 or 4 years ago. That said, they are light years ahead of us - so I fully expect to not getting a point from them - the only thing that MIGHT help us is that we play them at home in the penultimate game and, if they have qualified, I can see Sir Alex putting out a 2nd string team.

Valencia arent as good as they once were either - but any Spanish team being in the CL is a tough draw even though they have lost some players - I dont expect to finish above them but you never know.

Turkish teams are usually no mugs either - but I admittedly know nothing about them.

I am not convinced that qualifying 2nd IS a realistic minimum target for us. Some people try to convince themselves that being "big" means being "wealthy". In this day and age, for the most part, being wealthy will do far more for you than being big. We are still a HUGE club but finances in Scotland will disadvantage us, even against some of the so-called "smaller clubs" from "smaller nations".

We buy ONE 4 million pound player and we cant afford much else - some of the smaller clubs are spending double that and still buying more players.

Our standing in the game has changed - but we are still a big club.

The difference with the final is it wasn't a two legged affair. It was a one off match with no away goal to benefit anyone and a simple standoff. We should have thrown everything at them despite their vastly superior side. We played for penalties in a final ffs...I pity any neutral that watched that fucking, pathetic rancid match of football. Zenit barely even tried and walked it.

Reaching it was pretty pointless at the end of the day because we made no attempt to win it. I'd have rather lost 5-0 and gone down fighting that park the bus and make no attempt to fight for the game.

Aye, I could just see you at halftime - 'I'm glad we're 4-0 down with no chance of winning. They're a much better team so Walter was right to go for 2-3-5 formation'

And it was the biggest fluke getting there, much like when Greece won Euro 2004. Just packing the defence, hoping for the best and largely being carried by Cuellar.

It wasn't a fluke, both were down to tactics and the best use of the available resources. That's what managers are paid to do, not entertain neutrals. I do belive Cuellar was signed by Walter to defend, that's what defenders do. Carlos was by far the best player in that team, so of course it would lok like he was carrying us - maybe Walter shouldn't have signed somene as good so that the rest of them would look better :confused:

To discuss the group, anyone agree we have a good chance against Man Utd more so than we met them when Eck was in charge. Id say WS has us more organised and Man U are weaker now than they were then.

I say we can "at least" get a draw against them at Ibrox. I think they have a shaky defence, only Vidic and Evra are top drawer. Could be a game to get Lafferty to annoy the pants out of Vidic.

Old Trafford will be a different scenario, and cant see us creating much there but at home Im well confident.

The main problem is David Murray and not Walter Smith. But let's not forget, even when bankrolled millions and millions Walter Smith was still time after time exposed in Europe and made little attempt to play attractive football. Other than a couple of seasons Europe has been epic fail after fail for Mr Smith.

Some people can't help themselves regarding a dig at Murray :flipa:

I don't need to defend anything, the stats do that, you appear to see overall failure as success.

Stats for stats sake can prove whatever you want them to prove.

Smith has come in and won what, 6 out of 9 domestic trophies ? A 67% hit rate whilst not purchasing anyone would be deemed a success, not failure.

See, I can use stats to prove my point too.

The difference with the final is it wasn't a two legged affair. It was a one off match with no away goal to benefit anyone and a simple standoff. We should have thrown everything at them despite their vastly superior side. We played for penalties in a final ffs...I pity any neutral that watched that fucking, pathetic rancid match of football. Zenit barely even tried and walked it.

I don't think you watched the game and don't understand your attitude towards a team you reputedly support.

Rangers made a decent fist of the final but were beaten by a better, more expensive team who were far fresher due to 17 days rest compared to 3.

That Rangers team was knackered and played more games in a season than any Scottish team in history and how many games was it in last 22 days? Scott Symon and Willie Waddell never had to cope with that.

I really don't remember it being a bad game except for the fact any game we're losing tends to feel bad. Throwing men forward is the most naive tactics in the book, especially when your team is already punching above their weight.

I doubt some of Walter's critics could manage a subbuteo team and no manager who wins anything worries about entertainment more than winning.

So you say you and others would rather have a 5-0 drubbing while pushing forward? Where was the praise after the 4-1 defeat to Unirea?

Thing is, we shouldn't have to point all this out to Rangers fans. I've heard less negative spin and vitriol from the Tims.

PS Even if a Rangers manager won a European cup final, I don't see how he can automatically be seen as better than Walter considering it was during Celtic's nine in a row sequence.

I would say winning a European trophy is something to be celebrated, not something to whip a successful Rangers manager, who wins nine league titles but loses a European final, with.