Letter to newspaper for Brian Laudrup, response from Copenhagan Post

Thanks for that MF. To be honest, I think its perfect; certainly something I'd be entirely proud to put my name behind. Captures the depth of feeling with the utmost dignity. Great work.

P.S The only reason I mention cost is because I'll only be able to contribute a bit myself and don't want to be presumptuous with other people's generosity.

Edited by bmck

Shooty in MF, absolutely brilliant!

I have nothing to add to it myself and would be extremely proud if that is the copy that is sent over to Amanda at the Copenhagen Post.

Barry, Amanda mentioned that she could send you a copy. How would I go about getting a copy of the newspaper with MFs message of support in it? :confused:

That's a good question, man. Certainly something I'd be interested in. I'll make sure to ask on Monday.

Excellent work MF. Really can't see any way to add to that. And, like Gav, I wouldn't mind getting a wee copy for myself. Just hoping that the cost isn't too prohibitive, can't spare a huge amount but definitely want to contribute something.

MF, that was an excellent, excellent piece of prose. One of those where you step back and take another look and realise the hairs on your neck are standing up.

Barry, I am sure that we will get the cost of this done - I dont know how much it will cost but we will get there regardless - even if I have to front it and whatever people have they can give - this isnt about money, it is about MF's fantastic message getting through to Brian Laudrup and letting him know that his Rangers family, the fans, are stading in arms with him.

Somehow I don't think covering the cost will be a major problem. Those who can give, will. Those who can't give will contribute their support and that will be more than enough.

So...... Me and my iPad sat down andvrattled off some words, which I hope manages to capture at least a sense of what we are all feeling at this news. The length may be a problem but it can be cut back I'd necessary, although that will inevitably mean losing something. I suggest we start with what we believe is appropriate and reduce it if it turns out to be necessary in terms of space or cost.

Please feel free to suggest changes or even an alternative article but this is what appeared in front of

The players and fans of Glasgow Rangers have long thought of themselves as belonging to a very unique family and, like any other family, news of a brother in trouble brings profound concern and sadness. So it was for tens of thousands of people associated with Rangers football club when we learned that our very special brother from Denmark was starting his fight against cancer.

Of course, this is firstly a private and personal matter for Brian Laudrup and his own family but for many thousands of Rangers fans around the world this is also a call to arms, a deeply felt need to express support for the man who graced the game of football like few have ever done and who embraced the Rangers family as it embraced him.

There are people in every corner of the world who have Brian Laudrup in their hearts and in their prayers. Brian the player, of course, but mostly just Brian the man who was always gracious, always smiling, always the perfect brother. The Rangers family opens it's heart to you Brian and wishes you every strength to win this struggle as you've won so many others.

You beat everyone they put in front of you on the field of play and you will beat this too.

With love and strength,

Your Rangers family.

Nice one.:thup:

Just a small point. it should be "The Rangers family opens its heart..." :)

Also, should it be just Rangers rather than Glasgow Rangers? Usually the former, but given the audience in this case there may be an argument for the latter?

Gazza, with respect to the Gersnet reference, I'm not sure what to think. It's good because that's where it's from, but you don't want to detract from a piece of writing that's strong enough for Rangers fans of all persuasions to group around, or have cynical people any scope to say its tainted with even a hint of self-interest. For me the most important thing is it as an expression of support from Rangers supporters to Brian Laudrup. That said, I don't think mentioning Gersnet actually detracts from that, it just amounts to signing your name in behalf of a group people. What's everyones thoughts?

Edited by bmck

Gazza, with respect to the Gersnet reference, I'm not sure what to think. It's good because that's where it's from, but you don't want to detract from a piece of writing that's strong enough for Rangers fans of all persuasions to group around, or have cynical people any scope to say its tainted with even a hint of self-interest. For me the most important thing is it as an expression of support from Brian Laudrup. That said, I don't think mentioning Gersnet actually detracts from that, it just amounts to signing your name in behalf of a group people. What's everyones thoughts?

Agreed. No harm in a subtle mention. Other websites do it without any problem, so why not?