SPHell to be restructured?

Guest Buzz

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/17/spl-restructure-old-firm-reserve-teams

Both Old Firm clubs, along with Hearts and Hibernian, are planning to field reserve teams in the third tier of Scottish football as early as next season as part of a blueprint to restructure the game in Scotland. The Scottish Premier League is working on a proposal, which could have wide-ranging ramifications, to put before clubs to vote on next year.

There is now universal acceptance within the SPL that its structure, with 12 teams and a late-season split, must be altered following an alarming drop in standards and interest. The protection of vital broadcasting revenue is central to that train of thought.

The mooted alternative would see two divisions of 14 form an upper tier of football. Although the controversial split would remain in some capacity, broadcasters would be satisfied by the continued existence of four Old Firm fixtures.

A newly formed third division would be supplemented by reserve or "B" teams from Scotland's largest clubs, although other teams such as Aberdeen could seek involvement. The recent abolition of the SPL's reserve league has left a huge batch of players without competitive football.

Hearts have considered sending idle squad members on loan to Belarusian club MTZ Ripo, who are sponsored by the Tynecastle owner Vladimir Romanov's Ukio Bankas investment group. The Old Firm play regular friendlies against the reserve teams of English Premier League clubs. They are thought to be happy, in principle, to field teams in a lower league ââ?¬â?? a system already in place in many Continental countries.

A senior SPL figure confirmed today that next season would offer "the perfect opportunity" to implement change, but there are obstacles to the proposal: the three leagues outside the top flight are controlled by the Scottish Football League, over which the SPL would need to have control for the plans to succeed. It has long been recommended, though, that a single entity takes over governance of Scotland's league structure.

Whilst I welcome changes being made to the SPL, I'm not sure 46 games a year is feasable!

Will it mean the retiring of the League Cup?

The only changes needed are to dismantle the existing Dickensian organizations running our game and to ensure speculation like this is replaced with sensible debate and consultation with real supporters.

The worrying thing is, I see no mention of changing the schedule there, despite another seasons dire European campaign.

Is there really anything wrong with starting in early July and finishing in April?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/17/spl-restructure-old-firm-reserve-teams

Whilst I welcome changes being made to the SPL, I'm not sure 46 games a year is feasable!

Will it mean the retiring of the League Cup?

I don't think we would play 46 games, we play far too many at 38 but I can see a split after playing each team twice then a group of 7 and 7 or 8 and 6 to play each other 2 more times

The SPL will always be a two horse race unless either us or Celtic are so bad as to allow another club to finish 2nd.

I fail to see how any restructure would allow another club to substain a regular challenge for the title.

The only way Scottish football will become more competitive is if some rich nutter decides to invest in Hibs, Aberdeen or A N Other (on an ongoing basis to exclude Romanov) or for Rangers and Celtic to move to a new or different league.

Scottish football is largely uncompetitive because so many clubs are atrociously run and, despite all the faux protestations, their ambitions stop squarely at survival.

If these clubs would take an honest look at themselves instead of blaming Rangers, they might just have a key to a better future. Instead of innovative ideas and professional leadership we get morons strutting in boardrooms all over the country, whining to anyone who will take them seriously - and I include our own club in that.

Tell you what they have to do, is have a bit of consideration to us. We're the countries only representatives in europe and apart from the past Man u game, every other follow up to our CL games this season we are away from home.

As follows:Buraspor (h) followed by Hearts (a)

Valencia (h) followed by Sellik (a)

Valencia (a) followed by St Midden (a)

Man U (h) followed by Dunpee Utd (a)

Buraspor (a) followed by ICT (a)

Hmmmmm, plain for all to see, you could argue that 3 of those SPL venues are our toughest, shit just switch the ICT game and have us play the sheep while your at it.:box:

Tell you what they have to do, is have a bit of consideration to us. We're the countries only representatives in europe and apart from the past Man u game, every other follow up to our CL games this season we are away from home.

As follows:Buraspor (h) followed by Hearts (a)

Valencia (h) followed by Sellik (a)

Valencia (a) followed by St Midden (a)

Man U (h) followed by Dunpee Utd (a)

Buraspor (a) followed by ICT (a)

Hmmmmm, plain for all to see, you could argue that 3 of those SPL venues are our toughest, shit just switch the ICT game and have us play the sheep while your at it.:box:

Depends what Competition you want us to do better in - Europe or SPL. I tend to think its better to have the domestic home game BEFORE the champions league matches so we are better prepared for them, if that leaves us away matches in the SPL after CL so be it, we are capable of winning those matches.

What we expect from SPL is help to prepare on the Euro circuit as we are the sole Rep's and that would mean having home games played on saturdays. I havent looked at our fixture list before our next CL games but looking at the 5 aways it may be possible we have 5 homes.

EDIT:

Aberdeen (a) on a sunday followed by Bursaspor (h) - the Aberdeen game should be played on Saturday.

Motherwell (h) on a Sat followed by Valencia (h)

Inverness (h) on a Sat followed by Valencia (a) - This is perfect, if it was only Celtic away in between Valencia we'd be complaining.

Kilmarnock (a) on Sat 12pm followed by Man Utd (h) - Early Sat k/o helps.

Hearts (h) on Sat followed by Bursaspor (a)

Edited by Gribz