thats a staggering amount of money, i wonder how it is justified.

He justifies it by not securing the managers 'first choice' signings and by complaining that the new Ulster Scots flag should not be flown at Ibrox / Rangers games as the Crown and Orange Lillies are 'overtly loyalist'....

Cammy F

They can probably justify it by the savings he's made off the field. I think one of his targets was to get the wage budget under control and he achieved that ahead of time.

His performance as far as signings go though is pretty poor considering the situation we were left in after the transfer window towards the end of last season.

A CEO of any normal business would pull a salary of that magnitude (here in Bermuda there are a number of CEO's who command salaries of about 2-3 million and their bonuses are GUARANTEED to be AT LEAST 150% of salary (and these guys still aren't "high" earners by comparison to the UK and US.

However....... if the CEO's of these companies were as inept as Martin Bain is (much of the role of a CEO is to be a strategic thinker, always looking to push the company forward in all business aspects) but Martin Bain does not appear to be doing that at our club and, despite the many failings of DM I feel that DM is/was the visionary at Rangers and if that is the case then Martin Bain is getting paid a salary that the club need not be paying !

despite the many failings of DM I feel that DM is/was the visionary at Rangers

I would argue that Campbell Ogilvie was the visionary at Rangers. It was CO who managed to get the CL instigated within UEFA and was highly regarded through-out European football. It still pi55es me off that he was sacked and the Sun Tan Kid is still at Rangers.

Cammy F

They can probably justify it by the savings he's made off the field. I think one of his targets was to get the wage budget under control and he achieved that ahead of time.

His performance as far as signings go though is pretty poor considering the situation we were left in after the transfer window towards the end of last season.

You are probably right Re the financial savings Mike but.... at what cost ? I have this issue with management within my company... they have certain "goals" to achieve in order to get the big bonuses, the sad thing is that they achieve the absolute goal as given to them but have added little to no value.

Martin Bain assisted with putting the company on a better financial footing but at great cost to the product on the field. You can also find nuggets in the Bosman bargain basement but we havent found many and when you look at our friends across the city they have proven that if you can find a decent player for a relatively small fee (ala Petrov) and nurture him for a few years you can punt him for a decent fee (ala Petrov) and get decent replacements using those funds (Gravesen and Hesselink). Speculating to accumulate if you will.

Hopefully though we will turn the corner soon. I just don't think Martin Bain is "CEO" material though and with DM being an astute businessman I am very surprised that he put Bain in that position.

I would argue that Campbell Ogilvie was the visionary at Rangers. It was CO who managed to get the CL instigated within UEFA and was highly regarded through-out European football. It still pi55es me off that he was sacked and the Sun Tan Kid is still at Rangers.

Cammy F

I know you dislike DM Cammy and I won't argue about Campbell Ogilvie (as it would be impossible to do so) but I don't think you are giving DM credit where it is due - or are you saying he had no forward thinking ?

I know you dislike DM Cammy and I won't argue about Campbell Ogilvie (as it would be impossible to do so) but I don't think you are giving DM credit where it is due - or are you saying he had no forward thinking ?

That is exactly what I am saying. Everything that David Murray has done in his time at Rangers is 'short-term'. Have you ever heard him preaching about 5 year plans (we had a 3 year plan but ditched it after 18 months)? Have you ever heard David Murray preaching about the benefits for having your own in-house Youth Development?

David Murray has sold off every arm of Rangers FC that was making a profit. The Ticketing Centre (to one of his companies), the catering (to one of his companies) , Youth Development, The Albion (to his son for �£1), merchindise etc etc.

Less than a decade ago, Rangers were in the black, the leaders off and on the field in Scotland and in 1993 were more profitable and successful (in Europe) than Mancherster United. Now, I know that SKY TV had a huge impact, but that is where we were at.

Our rivals at that time were at rock bottom, they were finishing 3rd, 4th and 5th in the SPL and were minutes from closing down. To David Murrays eternal shame, they are now in better shape off and on the field than we are.

Now, DM's supporters will tell me that he brought us Gazza, Luadrup, 9-in-a-row. I'd argue that WE (the fans) brought all that - we have invested much more of our money in Rangers than David Murray has.

Where was DM's long-term plans then? And more importantly, where are they now?

Cammy F