Breaking news on SSN - Willie Collum

Normally you could laugh this off as some school kids mischief but with the the tim supporters love of terrorism you never know if there are still some wannabe's amongst them who see this as an opportunity to mak a name for themselves.

Add the odd petrol bombing of vehicles to that. :(

One of the problems for referees is that we're using modern technology to only show where they got it wrong. It's really not fair for them as they cannot use it positively and so puts enormous pressure on them to actually be better than technology - like asking a line judge to be better than hawkeye.

If we can use technology retrospectively then what is stopping us using it in the game - surely a line has already been crossed?

If we had rugby type replays then the pressure would be taken off the referee for difficult real time decisions where it is impossible to see all the angles.

One of the criticisms is that it would stop the flow of the game but there are plenty of ways round this. For example couldn't there be an automatic "play-on" while the camera ref has say 20 seconds to stop the game for a free kick/penalty/off-side decision?

Some incidents - like Broadfoot's are going to stop the game anyway either for a free kick or a dive and so why not get such an important decision as right as we can.

If the referee removes himself from such an impossible decision then the pressure is moved onto the camera ref who at least sees what the rest of us see on the footage and then it's a matter of his interpretation with no right of appeal.

The controversy is then all about whether you agree with his decision - but at least it's a well considered one using the same information as any critics.

I think it works really well in rugby where the referees are not being treated anywhere near as badly.

Other sensible options to take from rugby is to only allow the captain to talk to the referee, for the referee to talk to the players during play, warning them that they are about to transgress, and to introduce a sinbin to allow proportionate and granulated punishment - for instance, for the likes of Stoke's challenge, McCulloch's "barge", the raising of hands and MacGregor's knee in the head. If you got 5 or 10 minutes for the latter it would discourage stuff which escalates the tensions and allow the guilty party to cool down.

I also think the type of pressure on referees being conducted by Celtic should result in points being deducted - it just adds to the hysteria which results in unacceptable death threats, abuse and possible violence towards guys who are just trying to do a difficult job which is vital to the game.

Discipline and control have been lost in football with respect for referees at an all time low. Their job is now impossible and something has to be done before we have no decent referees left. The SFA and also FIFA have to act.

Edited by calscot

Disgusting vile scum.

I agree but would everyone say the same if it was our fans? I definitely would and feel confident that most others on here would too.

However, I doubt many on their boards are bothered about these despicable cowards.

I agree but would everyone say the same if it was our fans? I definitely would and feel confident that most others on here would too.

However, I doubt many on their boards are bothered about these despicable cowards.

I certainly would mate. I'd be horrified to learn of our fans threatening a ref. KDS mob are sweeping it all under the carpet. Some are even saying it was us who done it.

I tihkn it was Platini who explained that in tennis there's 12 line judges, an unpire and not forgetting Hawk Eye. The size of a tennis court is tiny compared to that of a football pitch which is covered by a referee, 2 linesmen and a 4th official and a home crowd who always get every decision correct.

Somthing's not quite right and I don't like these 2 extra linesmen or whatever they're called being used in the european competitions either.