Lee McCulloch

Someone mentioned this earier that Weiss was doing the wrong thing in the wrong place at the wrong time. Just as easily as taking the piss out of Giggs et al he could just as easily have given it away inside his own half and caused our defence problems.

And you can be assured that had we lost a goal because of it, or even just a decent chance, the majority of us would have been berating Weiss for doing what he did.

Try looking at it from a different perspective Craig (at least try). Points to consider:-

- In the instance being discussed, Weiss showed skill, took on top quality players and came out on top, winning us a free kick.

- We were giving the ball away to United all over the park for practically the whole 90 mins and Weiss was no more responsible for us losing possession than others, less so than most in fact.

- We had players (McCulloch included!!) giving the ball straight back to United inside our own half. This happened a lot in the game, but Jig didn't go round giving them all a talking to (presumably) because it's not-his-job & he needed to concentrate on his own part in the game.

Further, had McCulloch provided that bollocking to, say, Miller or Lafferty instead of Weiss, I suspect that this would effectively be a non-issue.

You might be right. I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone who doesn't want McCulloch turning Weiss against him because I'd like to see Weiss staying here beyond this season. Ideally, we'd still have a player like Weiss at Ibrox long after Lee McCulloch has left the club. Don't try to deny me some hope FFS! :D

Try looking at it from a different perspective Craig (at least try). Points to consider:-
I will try, honestly I will :D

- In the instance being discussed, Weiss showed skill, took on top quality players and came out on top, winning us a free kick.
Yep, agreed. However, sometimes taking on top quality players and coming out on top is still not the right thing to do. In this instance I had no problem initially with what he did as he was in a tight space and it was difficult to get the pass off. However, when he took Giggs on he had no need as someone had overlapped and offered him an out ball but he wanted to continue to show-boat. 1) That could have put us in danger defensively as the right back had overlapped and 2) It could actually have prevented ourselves from creating an opportunity.
- We were giving the ball away to United all over the park for practically the whole 90 mins and Weiss was no more responsible for us losing possession than others, less so than most in fact.
Losing possession is acceptable at times when under immense pressure. Weiss had no need to lose possession because he had someone to pass to. Agreed that it seems a little harsh but te fact is he was showboating where he neither needed to be nor should be.
- We had players (McCulloch included!!) giving the ball straight back to United inside our own half. This happened a lot in the game, but Jig didn't go round giving them all a talking to (presumably) because it's not-his-job & he needed to concentrate on his own part in the game.
As I said, losing possession sometimes simply happens when under pressure. However, Weiss had no need to lose possession (I know he didnt) but his would have been a needless losing of possession. I am sure that Weiss would see the wisdom of it all after the fact though. I suspect that McCulloch not giving them a talking to had little to do with it "not being his job" - the fact remains that he is vice-captain and therefore holds responsibility after Weir. Where Weiss gained that FK was an area of the pitch that Weir would not be expected to find himself - therefore as the next most senior person on the pitch it actually WAS McCulloch's duty.

You might be right. I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone who doesn't want McCulloch turning Weiss against him because I'd like to see Weiss staying here beyond this season. Ideally, we'd still have a player like Weiss at Ibrox long after Lee McCulloch has left the club. Don't try to deny me some hope FFS! :D
That is exactly what I am getting at - because Weiss is a player that the vast majority of us like to watch and are also keen on him staying (me included - very skilful player who adds something different - also because when he goes back to Man City (or moves elsewhere) my son will be devastated) it means that we dont want to see him suffer verbal abuse, or abuse of any sorts in fact. That doesnt mean that it sometimes isnt warranted. However, the reality is that should he leave Man City it is highly unlikely to be to Rangers - much as though he enjoys playing for us (it seems) the wages on offer elsewhere will be far in excess of what we can offer and he would also be able to secure an EPL team.