Regan praises rescue refs

Why isnt promoting youngers or lower league Refs an option? Surely there is Refs who Ref Highland league and Junior games. The rules cant be that different

I doubt they would be willing to do it, as it would effectively be breaking a picket line, and could end up being shunned by their colleagues in the future.

Some interesting research from FF on Reid...

Born on May 8 1947 in Cardowan, a mining village clustered around a colliery near Glasgow, John Reid's mother worked in factories and as a cleaner. His grandfather was a Scottish Presbyterian who met an illiterate Irish Catholic peasant as she got off the boat and later married her. That’s fairly solid Irish roots for a start and John Reid is very aware of same.

Interested principally in music and football, her only child did not excel academically at St Patrick's, his secondary school in Coatbridge. Posing as an Elvis look-alike, Reid was a guitarist and singer in a group called The Graduates. He was articulate and popular, not least because of his repertoire of Irish Republican songs, He taught George Galloway to sing Irish republican songs and when Reid himself was on a drinking spree he would end up singing such songs. (Tapes, anyone?)

In 1971, he registered at Stirling University to study history. His interest in social and sexual freedom excluded any interest in politics until, in 1972, Stirling became the focus of an outrage. During a visit to the university by the Queen, a group of protesting students spat at the monarch.

In 1999, Reid's 29-year-old son Kevin, a lobbyist, was accused of offering clients privileged access to his father and other Scottish politicians. Kevin had been secretly taped by an Observer journalist. Reid's questionable judgment was again highlighted soon after. He was accused of wrongly using parliamentary funds to pay three researchers, including his son Kevin, to work for the Labour party in Scotland. Elizabeth Filkin, the parliamentary commissioner for standards, declared that the evidence proved that Reid had broken the rules.

After criticising Kevin Reid for giving misleading evidence, Filkin accused his father for not cooperating, giving evidence that "falls short of a candid and complete account" and, worse, for placing "pressure of various kinds" on witnesses to change their testimony.

On 29 April 2006, police found a small quantity (less than 1 gram) of cannabis resin in a guest room of his home. Reid denied all knowledge of the drug, and Strathclyde Police have stated that “he is not under suspicion of having committed any offence”.

In January 2001, after Peter Mandelson's second resignation, Reid was appointed as the secretary of state for Ireland. His record is controversial.

See:

Reid's 21 months in the province is damned by the Protestants, inevitably suspicious of a self-proclaimed "Glasgow t@ig" fond of quoting Gramsci. David Trimble, the loyalist leader, accuses Reid of refusing to endorse the Union's value. Worse, Trimble accuses Reid of relying on false intelligence deliberately to destroy the Ulsterman's political credibility by siding with the IRA and refusing to enforce the disarmament of the Republicans. "Every Northern Ireland secretary," says Trimble's adviser, "had positive achievements, except Reid. He wasted Mandelson's rich legacy."

According to The Guardian (23 September 2006) Reid arrived in the House of Commons "drunk one day and tried to force his way on to the floor to vote. When an attendant stepped forward to stop him, Reid threw a punch" What the MP for Motherwell North did not realise was that he had taken aim at a former SAS soldier. As bemused colleagues looked on, he was effortlessly wrestled to the ground. John Reid's reputation appeared to be in tatters.

A Daily Mail report of 13 May 2007 has the following: “Mr Reid pulled out of the Labour leadership contest and announced he is to resign as Home Secretary when Tony Blair steps down. Mr Reid is said to have asked Ms Primarolo to go to bed with him during a Parliamentary trip to Berlin when he phoned her at a hotel bar from his room. And later at a bar in the Commons he is alleged to have told her: "I want sex with you" and "You want it too."

Both times, an outraged Ms Primarolo, who is married to union official Ian Ducat, told Mr Reid to stop pestering her. Ms Primarolo told friends it was not the first time Mr Reid had "pestered" her".

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz16NuiY5Hf

“John Reid loves to be called 'Dr Reid'. Call him Mister and his eyes seem to twitch. He has, after all, got a doctorate so has every right to be called 'Dr'. However, no one ever seems to have traced a copy of his PhD thesis, which I am told was on the economy of a Nigerian warrior king. I always thought PhDs were publicly available for others to use as reference sources, but it seems that Reid's work of wisdom has been classified as 'closed”. (Ian Dale, May 25 2006).

He now, of course, has an honorary doctorate from that same university. There must be thousands of unsung heroes and heroines in dozens of unknown workplaces who would provide better role models. What about those who quietly devote their lives to research, or use their knowledge and experience to improve the lives of those who need their help? Or better still in these stringent times, why don't universities stop awarding honorary degrees altogether?

Or has the primordial swamp of Scottish (Labour) politics engulfed the whole of the Country?

All in all, a suitable person to be involved with that particular football club – perhaps seen as carrying on a fine old tradition of paranoia. But as a suitable person to question the integrity of Scottish referees? When in a glass house, it is perhaps best not to throw stones.

Edited by Bluedell
added the starred out t@ig word

So the foreign FAs have now been lied too about why the Scottish refs are striking?

If only there was some sort of network of connected computers spanning the globe that people could use to share news with other countries or for research purposes. Hmmm....

If its genuinely true that the SFA thought they could lie to another association, that's a whole other massive bag of weasels and not just because it confirms they are indeed thick as shit. You couldn't make all this up.

Why isnt promoting youngers or lower league Refs an option? Surely there is Refs who Ref Highland league and Junior games. The rules cant be that different

Depends if you think the strike is trivial. Anyone taking the job on is endorsing the situation that the referees are protesting against - why would any Scottish referee want to do that. If it was me, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole and would be in total support of the strikers.

That's also why no western European referee will step in. As for eastern Europe, as I alluded to earlier, it could be jackpot time for them which could override their morals. Supposing the SFA offer them all expenses paid and something like a �£2000 fee for their time? That could translate to 6 months wages in their home town for sacrificing a weekend for a jolly with a few hours actual work. That could just prove irresistible.

However, it seems morality still trumped when the Poles discovered the truth...

Smith: Scottish referees must name clubs they have a problem with

Walter Smith has called on Scotland’s on strike referees to speak out and name the clubs they claim are questioning their integrity. The Rangers boss, speaking ahead of his team’s scheduled game with Dundee United on Sunday, also believes the refereeing fiasco is damaging the reputation of Scottish football.

Smith though refused to blame referees for the current state of play, saying the responsibility to bring an end to strike action lay with the Scottish Football Association.

“I don’t think anyone at my club, certainly I haven’t, has questioned the integrity of a referee,” said Smith. “If they have got a problem with people that they feel are questioning the integrity of a referee, they should name those people, rather than making it a criticism on a broad basis.

“Referees are out there and they have to make a decision. Sometimes we disagree with that decision. We go in 10-15 minutes after a game and express our disappointment and we get their opinion.

“But I would never question their integrity as to why they have made a decision. I don’t think that there’s any need for them to write a letter to every club asking them to state that they will not question integrity.

“For a period of time, there has been an undercurrent of too much criticism towards referees. Obviously they themselves feel it is time to bring it into focus for everyone.

“I don’t think we can blame the referees for doing that as they have been under a fair bit of pressure, especially this season. But last season as well we had a period where that happened.

“We are disappointed this is the way it has turned out. But I can sympathise with their reasons for doing so.

“It’s not done the game in Scotland any good. It has been dragging on too long. We’ve been in the situation for, it seems, for the last six to eight weeks where all we are talking about is referees.”

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/212178-smith-scottish-referees-must-name-clubs-they-have-a-problem-with/