Should the F word be starred out?

Should the F word be starred out?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should the F word be starred out?

To be honest, I find this kind of statement, not only to be factually wrong but also lacking any depth of moral and ethical responsibility and obligation.

On the other hand it may be the utmost expression of moral and ethical responsibility in a civilised society. "If I want to stick up for the Jews I will. Nobody can stop me". Factually untrue in Nazi germany, yet not lacking in moral depth or ethical responsibility.

What about this idea?

Try supporting Rangers and stop worrying about celtic or calling them names. Too many Rangers fans judge there support for Rangers by how much they hate celtic. And vice versa for there fans.

I think if football fans across the world stopped calling opposing fans names, the game would be very different, and not to its betterment. Rivalry and yes, banter, are an integral part of the game and why we enjoy it so much. As a game itself, I find football quite dull. It's largely the tribalism and sense of identification and belonging that has kept me interested for 20+ years.

And while you may think it a noble sentiment, in my opinion you're also missing the point that when it comes to "calling them names", there's one rule for Rangers fans and another for supporters of other clubs. I wonder if there's any other football club in the world whose supporters have been persecuted and vilified in the media and society - and as part of a concerted and co-ordinated political campaign at that - as much as Rangers fans these past few years.

While I'd still disagree with your stance, it would only have any credence if there was parity across the board. Nobody can argue that we have that just now.

You've picked me up wrong mate or I've come across wrong. I was meaning that when I travel to a match, I am not going to stop having a sash-bash because people go out of their way to be offended.

Sorry, I did pick you up wrong and I'm a bit quick to jump on what I see as an "I will do whatever I want" attitude.

However, maybe you have to ask yourself why your are having a "sash-bash" at all, if it's not intended to offend anyone? I can maybe understand if you're an Orangeman but if you're not then your motives become hazy and seem to be intending to offend - especially when you know they are offended. Remember, it's hypocritical to sing things to offend people and then get defensive when they take you to task on it.

What about this idea?

Try supporting Rangers and stop worrying about celtic or calling them names. Too many Rangers fans judge there support for Rangers by how much they hate celtic. And vice versa for there fans.

Name calling, however childish and puerile, is not really the problem per se - it's name calling with reference to religion that is causing the problem. It's incredibly frowned upon as history has shown it can lead to religious hatred which has caused the deaths and torture of millions of people. The Nazi's used name calling to reduce the resistance to causing evil to Jews, resulting in the holocaust.

There's no excuse to do the same thing in Scotland and at football matches of all places, which is why the lack of punishment for use of the word "Hun" is so outrageous.

I think if football fans across the world stopped calling opposing fans names, the game would be very different, and not to its betterment. Rivalry and yes, banter, are an integral part of the game and why we enjoy it so much. As a game itself, I find football quite dull. It's largely the tribalism and sense of identification and belonging that has kept me interested for 20+ years.

And while you may think it a noble sentiment, in my opinion you're also missing the point that when it comes to "calling them names", there's one rule for Rangers fans and another for supporters of other clubs. I wonder if there's any other football club in the world whose supporters have been persecuted and vilified in the media and society - and as part of a concerted and co-ordinated political campaign at that - as much as Rangers fans these past few years.

While I'd still disagree with your stance, it would only have any credence if there was parity across the board. Nobody can argue that we have that just now.

Ok mate that your view but your totally missing the point i'm making.

Yes all fans call other fans names and but we have a situation here that both teams fans call and say things due to religion and nothing to do with football.

Also, you seem to be saying our fans should do it because there fans do, play ground attitide at best.

Two more points, leave that para to them mate, and i will say again why cant we just support our club and not worry about them or religion?

Ok mate that your view but your totally missing the point i'm making.

Yes all fans call other fans names and but we have a situation here that both teams fans call and say things due to religion and nothing to do with football.

Yes but my standpoint on this thread is that "fenian" isn't a religious term, and therefore what exactly is the problem with using it to refer to Celtic fans?

Also, you seem to be saying our fans should do it because there fans do, play ground attitide at best.

You may see it that way, but my point is about parity.

I will say again why cant we just support our club and not worry about them or religion?

As an East-coaster, I've no interest in the religion stuff myself, and fully agree with putting supporting Rangers ahead of anything else. But when I'm told not to say a certain non-religious, non-sectarian word - one that they still can't tell me properly why I can't use - because someone somewhere might be offended, while I have religious insults hurled at me, it does strike me as a bit pathetic not to at least question it.

They love it when we "don't worry about them". It's precisely what has allowed the drip-drip-drip of negativity about Rangers fans to seep into the consciousness of the nation. You may think life's too short to worry about them, but life's also too short to be treated like a leper because of my choice of football team.

On the other hand it may be the utmost expression of moral and ethical responsibility in a civilised society. "If I want to stick up for the Jews I will. Nobody can stop me". Factually untrue in Nazi germany, yet not lacking in moral depth or ethical responsibility.

It depends on the motivation behind it. If you actually think it's ok for you to do what you like regardless of what it is then by extension you are condoning what the Nazis did.

Even the statement about sticking up for the Jews seems badly thought out and probably lead to futility. There is no instance where we should think we can do what we like without some kind of moderation - like even posting on an internet forum.

A better way of thinking is to do what we think is right, not just what we want. There is a difference.

@ Norris Cole

Lets make this simple mate, i dont like to be told what i can and cant say, but i know if i'm told certain words could hurt my club then i wont use them. Some people seem to think that what they say or do is more important than the club getting into trouble.

Also mate, i have not been on this site for long, but i really think you need to calm down the parra stuff.

It appears to me from there last couple of posts, that Cumbernauld has missed Norris' point and not the other way around.

Norris is not talking about defending our ills because "they're doing it too". He's saying it's a bullshit scenario that only one group can and will be held accountable for their actions an words. Particularly when the word in question is not sectarian, bigotted or as offensive as many others used against us.

Some people seem to think that what they say or do is more important than the club getting into trouble.

And others think making a stand, for example singing TBB, is the only way to force a proper, grown-up debate about what is sectarian and what isn't, and have this settled once and for all. The likes of Spiers and McGillivan have used many things in their prolonged campaign of attack against the club and its supporters. Facts, sadly, haven't been one of them.

Also mate, i have not been on this site for long, but i really think you need to calm down the parra stuff.

I'm just trying to comment on what I honestly think is the current state of affairs. Do you think there isn't a concerted campaign to slander Rangers supporters going on? If there isn't, then hands up, I must be paraniod. But it certainly feels like there is to me and thousands of others.