McLeish backs supporters representation on SFA Council

Henry McLeish's Report Part Two on governance, leadership and structures in Scottish Football has been published today.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/SFAPublications/HenryMcLeishReviewofScottishFootball/Review%20Scottish%20Football%20Pt2%20FINAL.pdf

It seems to me that it is no coincidence that the SPL has spent all week promoting a new two-division of 10 clubs set up this week and will make a decision on it next Monday, which is one of McLeish's main recommendations.

Supporters Direct (the umbrella organisation for Supporters Trusts) was the only fans' organisation consulted by McLeish. SD's submission highlighting: social value, community ownership and fans representation has been quoted almost verbatim on pages 69-70 and has been incorporated in a number of the recommendations, especially:

13. National organisations representing fans and supporters require greater respect and acknowledgement from within the game and this should be reflected in the work of football organisations including the SFA Council.

28. The Council of the SFA should become more representative of the diverse interests of the game including, supporters, players, managers, coaches and referees. There is a need to create an independent or lay perspective within the Council.

You can have your say on some of the main recommendations here http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/scottishfootball

You can guarantee that any fans rep council at the SFA will be full of tims, and fans of wee diddy clubs that dont even go to games, and think the OF are the problem rather than the lifeblood.

It sounds like one quango too many for my liking, but run properly it should be a source for some good for us ordinary supporters of the game. My problem is how can you possibly expect a body like that to properly look after the interests of the fans of all clubs in the game in Scotland, when it is such a diverse and divisive group. We cant even get a supporters group to look after just us Rangers fans without it all going crazy with internal politics, can you imagine a group that has to look after the rights of Rangers, celtic and all the other clubs fans as well. No chance.

Unlike the FSF in England, there is no organisation representing fans in Scotland other than SD. There is a memorandum of agreement between FSF and SD recognising that SD is the representaive forum for football supporters in Scotland and clearly McLeish recognised this fact. 29 of the senior clubs have trusts in full or associate membership of SD Scotland and there are 5 other trusts not in membership. Without going into detail some recent events have shown that SD nationally can bring together even the most diverse interests of Rangers and Celtic Trusts. Nominations currently are being sought for a new Scottish Council of SD that will have wide responsibilities and powers. It is scheduled to meet for the first time next March/April.

The fact that Supporters Direct still allow the IRA supporting Celtic Trust takes away some of its credibility.

Hopefully the RST will have nothing to do with any council that involves Jeanette Findlay and her mob.

Your having a laugh mate , Dingwall is having the T shirts printed as we speak

The fact that Supporters Direct still allow the IRA supporting Celtic Trust takes away some of its credibility.

Hopefully the RST will have nothing to do with any council that involves Jeanette Findlay and her mob.

SD has rules and a code of conduct and it is open to any member trust to complain about the conduct of any other trust. Ultimately a trust found to have brought the movement into disrepute could have its membership revoked or not renewed.

SD has rules and a code of conduct and it is open to any member trust to complain about the conduct of any other trust. Ultimately a trust found to have brought the movement into disrepute could have its membership revoked or not renewed.

And oh how we condemned the green brig_ de and what happened, the square root of fukk all.

I wont hold my breath on that one.

Only in Scotland would we ask a disgraced politician to report on such a disgraceful shambles. I've just read what I assume to have been an expensive report and see little in it that's new or that most on here couldn't have recommended for free. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it looks like he's recommending what the authorities had already decided they could accept - it's political pragmatism but hardly inspiring leadership. While it asks for re-organisation, I fear it leaves the same old cabal sitting on different bodies but calling the same shots for the same reasons as always.

The decision to consult SD seems to me to be more political posturing than genuine enquiry, you might as well ask turkeys what they think of Christmas. In our own case, the idea of using the RST as a sounding board for thevRangers support is simply absurd, yetbthis is the source that McLeish has decided to tap into.

In short, I can see little or nothing about this report to getbexcited about or to inspire hope for a better future for football in Scotland. If anything, McLeish gives the existing vested interests all the leeway they need to carry on with only the odd cosmetic change. Entirely what I'd have expected from someone with McLeish's pedigree.