I don't think there is that much correlation between which league a player comes from and his level for the team. We've been doing pretty well lately with teams full of Scots, most of whom have played in the SPL at some point before.

Our best players at the moment are MacGregor, Weir, Boogie, Naismith and Miller. Four of them are Scots who have played in the SPL, three of them have played in the top tiers of English football.

The likes of Davis and Lafferty are also from England, with a couple of the biggest fees, but are struggling to give us a proper return. As a cheaper addition there is also Beattie.

Other Scots only are Broadfoot, Whittaker and Foster, with AngloScots McCulloch and Alexander.The rest are mostly foreign or Scottish youngsters.

Our most notable leavers in the summer were also Scots: Boyd, Thomson and Wilson.

It seems to me that with our recent success and lack of spending recently, Scottish players are giving pretty reasonable value for money. If you start looking at the over-inflated prices for English players, then it would seem a country of thin pickings for our financial status.

I personally would hardly look to England at all right now. We have a history of doing well with mostly Scottish players and on recent evidence I can't see why we should change that.

The trouble with buying foreigners around the 2M mark or less is that you don't always get someone who can hit it off in the SPL or who settles well in our country. The best are usually on their way up and see us as a stepping stone to the Premiership.

They are also not as cheap as some think. A Romanian player may be on a few grand a week but that's in a country where most things costs about a seventh that of here. Once they move to the UK, they want a commensurable UK wage. Then you've got the cultural and language barriers to surmount as well as home sickness.

It's not easy for our players to move to Volgograd or somewhere like that and settle to play well when no-one speaks English and the culture is totally different.

In the end there are no easy answers and while buying the best of Scottish talent is not always exciting, we could do a lot worse.

I think he's a reasonable and realistic target, the sort of player we should be signing in terms of age, skill, potential, value etc so long as we don't pay over the odds again. Its just strange though given how many strikers we have that we seem to be going for him at this moment in time.

Whether or not Miller stays or goes, whether or not Goodwillie comes or stays. Jelavic will be back soon. I actually think with a few games under his belt and he stays injury free he may be the man to keep us the title. Beattie's been a waste of space for me but the J-Man will come good.