Club Close To Sasa Deal

With our status anything but assured, and the likes of Miller wanting away, it's commendable to see such apparent loyalty from some players like Papac and Naisy. tbh, Papac is a fairly mediocre player who has been at a consistent level of 'ok' since he got over that early sticky spell here, but in this financial climate replacing him wouldn't be easy seeing as we can barely afford a Chewitt.

Since we can't afford to replace him I guess we didn't have much choice on this one. Good player to have in the squad and highly experienced now, so trying to replace him would cost us a good few quid.

With our status anything but assured, and the likes of Miller wanting away, it's commendable to see such apparent loyalty from some players like Papac and Naisy. tbh, Papac is a fairly mediocre player who has been at a consistent level of 'ok' since he got over that early sticky spell here, but in this financial climate replacing him wouldn't be easy seeing as we can barely afford a Chewitt.

Slightly harsh in the extreme mate

Papac ââ?¬Ë?closeââ?¬â?¢ to agreeing one year deal to stay on at Ibrox

Graeme Macpherson, 14 Jan 2011

Rangers have offered Sasa Papac a new one-year deal and the Bosnian defender, whose contract expires in the summer, believes he is ââ?¬Å?closeââ?¬Â to completing a deal which will keep him at Ibrox.

Papac, who turns 31 next month, had originally hoped for a two-year contract but is satisfied with the offer of a one-year extension given Rangers� financial difficulties. The player does not have an agent and is looking for several aspects of the new deal to be clarified before he agrees to sign.

Following talks with Martin Bain, Rangers� chief executive, he is mulling over the offer and expects to meet Bain again soon for further discussions before making his decision.

ââ?¬Å?I spoke with Martin recently and I have an offer now from Rangers,ââ?¬Â he told Herald Sport. ââ?¬Å?It is at the first stage [of discussions]: he has given me an offer, then I said to him I will have some time to think about it. I need to speak to him again as there are some little things that are different in the contract. But I think we are close [to completing the deal].

ââ?¬Å?It isnââ?¬â?¢t about Martin coming back with a better offer. It is just that I didnââ?¬â?¢t understand some of the things in the contract. I will sit with him and ask ââ?¬Ë?what is this and that?ââ?¬â?¢. After the next meeting I will know if it is happening or not. We will talk and I will say ââ?¬Ë?yesââ?¬â?¢ or ââ?¬Ë?noââ?¬â?¢.ââ?¬Â

Papac is Rangers� longest-serving outfield player, having arrived in Glasgow in August 2006 from Austria Vienna as Paul Le Guen�s last ever signing. He is settled in the Glasgow area with his young family and is content to remain longer if everything can be tied up.

ââ?¬Å?I want to stay here,ââ?¬Â he added. ââ?¬Å?One more year is okay for me. That is enough for now. At the last meeting Martin asked if I was looking for two or three years. I said two years and then we can speak after. But for now just one year is not a problem for me. Itââ?¬â?¢s not a great [financial] situation at the club right now; I understand this.ââ?¬Â

Papac is eligible to speak to other clubs as he has entered the last six months of his contract but has not done so this far. He is also strongly against the idea of moving on during the current transfer window. ââ?¬Å?Iââ?¬â?¢ve not spoken with any other clubs yet as I donââ?¬â?¢t have any interest to move now in January. If the best club in the world asks me now then I would tell them I donââ?¬â?¢t want to go.ââ?¬Â

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/rangers/papac-close-to-agreeing-one-year-deal-to-stay-on-at-ibrox-1.1079872

Surely either let the guy go or get his signature on a three year deal. What's the point of a onevyear contract for someone of Sasa's age?

All I can think is that we don't have the money to replace him with similar or better quality this year, so the club are extending his contract for 1 year in the hope that we DO have money to replace him a year or so from now. The one year contract extension is precisely why we lost Novo as he wasn't willing to accept it, but Papac is more easy-going and is likely thinking that it's not ideal, but he'll deal with it later.

All I can think is that we don't have the money to replace him with similar or better quality this year, so the club are extending his contract for 1 year in the hope that we DO have money to replace him a year or so from now. The one year contract extension is precisely why we lost Novo as he wasn't willing to accept it, but Papac is more easy-going and is likely thinking that it's not ideal, but he'll deal with it later.

One of the problems with one year deals is that they very often get you no more than six months and compromise sell on value.