Have to agree Frankie , the clamour to increase the league by bringing in even weaker teams is baffling to me , how many fans did Hamilton take to Ibrox on Saturday , lets face it the entire Scottish scene is underopinned by the Rangers and septic fans travelling to away games.

If we had stronger teams in the championship/1st division then fine but these teams are very very weak both financially and fans wise , if in a few years we get these teams stronger then fine increase the league but now is not the time , amyone that thinks bringing Raith Rovers et all into the leaguie is going to make it better is kidding themselves

10 teams may not be the best thing in the world , but an early start and a winter shutdown is by far the best opition IMHO , I hate the split .

I also fully accept that I am probably in a minority on this

Edited by rbr

I think one of the biggest pushes is the anomalies that we get about home and away games.

Another is probably due to the lower teams looking for more stability in their income and security when they are relegated. it also gives four teams another home game against one of the OF.

I agree that 10 teams didn't work before so no point going back there.

It was a bit refreshing to only play the best teams 4 times while playing the rest 3 times, which was less boring, as well as adding another two teams for variety. I also quite like the split in some ways as it gives the middling teams something measurable to aim for, rather than just a fifth or sixth place which kept interest at the top middle and bottom. And the run-in is always good as the top teams are all playing each other which gives it a climactic feel as well as avoid one top two team having an easy run and the other having a very difficult one. It makes the back straight a bit more even handed.

The flip side is the aforementioned anomalies if the seeding is wrong; the three games which could make a difference whether you were at home or away twice against particular teams; and 38 games is two too many.

I don't think we've a strong enough pool of teams to make a full 18 team league and we'd really miss the 4 games against the top sides, especially Celtic as they are replaced by games against middling 1st division teams who would like be worse than the bottom teams of the current set-up. It was a bigger failure than the 10 team league and if we're going to go backwards, for me the 10 is preferable to the 18.

That's why I've always said I prefer a 14 team league with an 8-6 split after playing each other twice. Some slow starting teams will find it unpalatable, especially the likes of Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd, but it rewards good first half season form and gives a lot of interest in both halves of the season.

There is no home/away anomalies and it keeps the climactic run-in to the title as well as more interesting games against better teams. It also gives two more lower teams (four if compared to a ten team league) a chance to experience the top flight, if only for half a season with two OF games to look forward to, as well as the likes of Hearts etc which beats playing Stenhousemuir or whatever. For the top half, it's two less games against the bottom teams which leaves more space for cup games and Europe and which combines the lesser boredom of too few different games with keeping more games against the best. The bottom teams, who are unlikely to be in Europe or the latter stages of the cup they get four more games - two more home games, to fill their season and bring some revenue in. Some will lose an OF home game but a couple more teams will gain two.

We've tried 10, 12 and 18, and none have been the answer, so perhaps 14 should be the way to go just to try something new if nothing else.

14 could be the Goldilocks number.

PS I think the real answer is to team up with two or three other counties' top leagues.

It could be quite beneficial for some kind of North sea league with Belgium, Denmark and Sweden (I doubt Netherlands would be as interested), starting with 5 teams from each country. A 25M population to sell TV rights to, could also boost our income - but I suppose that would work like the pool money in the CL and really just mean we're selling a more attractive product and splitting the proceeds between a lot less clubs.

It might not appeal to everyone but even an 18 team Gaelic league might work better than what we have...

Countries of 5M people are gradually being marginalised until they only have infrequent, short purple patches to look forward to where a CL quarter final or Europa final is a great achievement; the only answer seems to be to club together.

Unfortunately UEFA would never allow it even if all the other hurdles could be cleared.

Guest BillyMac

playing the bheggars 4 times in a season has taken some of the excitement out of it for me okay we got beat last time give it a few weeks and were playing again

it loses some of its magic when we are playing them that often and this only a personal opinion, i would love a 14 team spl home and away regardless of the opposition

punt this split as it does my head in

I'm really starting to get sick of Scottish football. The only way it can improve is to plan for a better future but instead we're regressing. The old firm are going to get worse and worse and soon this league will be little better than the fuckin league of ireland. There's leagues not much better than ours that manage with 16