Diouf gets warm welcome from Ibrox fans

You've got more chance of contracting a disease from drinking water than from someone spitting on you. In fact, there's very little chance of contracting a 'fatal disease' from someone spitting on you. There's more chance of winning the lottery without even entering it.

Strange, that's not anything like what I was told on a 1st aid course.

If you believe what you know, I suppose that makes it OK to do then.

Strange, that's not anything like what I was told on a 1st aid course.

What were you told then?

If you believe what you know, I suppose that makes it OK to do then.

I didn't say it's OK to spit on people. It's not something I would do myself and not something I would condone, but when put into perspective it's nothing more than an act of disrespect and it's certainly not something which is regarded as a method for transmission of disease.

What were you told then?

What I mentioned previous. That you can catch some fatal diseases like Tuberclirosis from saliva. You don't have to be directly spat on to contract it either!

I didn't say it's OK to spit on people. It's not something I would do myself and not something I would condone, but when put into perspective it's nothing more than an act of disrespect and it's certainly not something which is regarded as a method for transmission of disease.

It's repulive. Like I said earlier, once you have someone spit on you (hopefully that never happens) we'll see what you think.

It's amazing to see how repulsed people can get by a bit of spitting. It's not a nice thing to do, but while it's unbecoming of a pro sportsman, it's really nothing compared to violent conduct and sometimes we can actually be highly amused by and enjoy violent conduct on the football pitch. We view a fight breaking out on the pitch as entertaining and are only concerned about it because there's a chance a player or two could get sent off, but players get demonized for a couple of spitting incidents, flicking the vicky at TV cameras or pulling out of our national squad via text message. For a race of warriors the petty morals are fcuking hilarious!

Spitting is, in my opinion, the lowest of the low.

Violent conduct depends on what happens in the incident - again in my opinion. Watching the Arsenal game and Diaby just got sent off for pushign Barton and Nolan - but Barton's challenge was a potential leg-breaker, so I have no issue with Diaby getting upset about it.

Spitting is despicable, no matter how you try to spin it.

I do accept it can happen in the heat of the moment, but that doesnt make it any less despicable.

You've got more chance of contracting a disease from drinking water than from someone spitting on you. In fact, there's very little chance of contracting a 'fatal disease' from someone spitting on you. There's more chance of winning the lottery without even entering it.

Me thinks you are simply commingling "disease" there Zappa. There may be more chance of contracting a disease drinking water, but a fatal disease ? Surely not.

Communicable diseases will be far easier to contract from spitting than drinking water (so long as we are talking about proper drinking water, and not just drinking water from a river, sewer, non-cleansed etc).

Regardless, there most definitely IS a chance that people could contract a disease from spitting.

I guess it is all about opinion. But would you be downplaying a spitting incident if it were a Tim that had done it to a Rangers fan ? I dont think so.

It isnt just disrespectful, it is a despicable action.

Zappa, common sense tells you that by projecting your bodliy fluids onto another person means that there is the possibiliy that you are transferring a disease. Gav said he was told that on a 1st aid course. Unless you are in the medical profession or have researched it then how do you know that what he was told was wrong ?

What I mentioned previous. That you can catch some fatal diseases like Tuberclirosis from saliva. You don't have to be directly spat on to contract it either!

I didn't say that you CAN'T catch a disease from someone spitting on you, but the chances in the UK are absolutely TINY even in the higher risk areas such as London, Birmingham etc down south. There's a couple of hundred deaths a year in the UK from TB and half of them are in London. Almost ALL of the deaths are people who've recently come to the UK from a country with serious health and disease problems. Basically, the chances of catching TB or a similarly transmitted disease are TINY in the UK in general and almost unheard of Scotland, so the risk of catching anything like that from someone spitting on you isn't impossible but very close to impossible.

I've already said that I don't condone spitting and I'm not trying to defend anyone who does it, but to start going on about catching fatal diseases from someone spitting on you is stretching the argument for your objections and pretty much just scaremongering. The chances are tiny in an enclosed space like a bus or a train with people sneezing and coughing all around you with their cold and flu symptoms that fill your airspace with bacteria.

People should be worried about serious problems like the effects of GMO's on imported food and drink, the many causes of cancer and other diseases, the pollution of the air we breath, not a footballer that's spat on a few people who wound him up.

Craig, I've replied to Gav. I've said several times that I'm not condoning anything and I've not once said that diseases CANNOT be transmitted via saliva. Catching a cold or flu or similar from people coughing and sneezing sometimes concerns me, but TB or another disease which can occasionally be fatal? I don't think so.

Edited by Zappa