McINNES MAY MOVE BACK TO IBROX - LEGGO

I just wonder, if we haven't had a top manager for a long time, who was the last one?

Walter has a better record than just about any other manager in my lifetime, so take him out the equation and who are you left with?

PLG? He was considered a top European manager but couldn't apply his style to Scottish football and was absolutely clueless at Rangers. He ended up looking a a bit like a rabbit frozen in the glare of a car's headlights.

Eck? Good at re-motivating the most expensive squad in Scottish history, but struggled and ultimately failed to build his own squad with a far more limited budget. I think he was still learning his trade at the time and has now learned a lot and improved, but there's no room at Rangers for finishing 20 odd points behind, and 3rd place is a sacking offence no matter which way you look at it.

Advocaat? Good manager but needs loads of money and has a shelf life of only two seasons before things go pear shaped.

Souness? Was pretty good in some seasons when he spent more than anyone, had one disastrous one and ultimately was here too short to make a good judgement. Smith eclipsed him when he took over. When he went to Liverpool it showed how we'll always struggle to keep high profile names.

Wallace? Had a great first stint at Rangers, then tainted it with his second.

Greig? Eh no.

I was too young to know much about anyone before that.

In the cold light of day, the top two managers we've had in the last 35 years have both been Walter Smith!

Sounds very much like an oxmymoron to me.

On eht ene hand you are saying that we arent a special club anymore. True. Then you say we should get a top manager. What top manager would want to go to a non-special team ?

We are in the backwaters of world football, no money, play the same teams too many times, Europe is a bonus.... and yet you think that securing a top manager is easy enough.

Meanwhile.... back in the real world.....

#

Do I have to go and list decent managers that have gone to small clubs with less resources than us if anything?

#

Do I have to go and list decent managers that have gone to small clubs with less resources than us if anything?

Doesn't mean they would have been successful at Rangers even if they have been successful elsewhere though does it?

But yes a list of those managers would be good.......

Just because PLG failed doesnt mean we shouldnt not be looking abroad again. Its more about the individual and how good he is

Very true. By the same token, that right individual might just be Scottish.

Re: the O'Neill - Strachan comparison. (hate them both :D) but Strachan has the better record, especially looking at Europe, when comparing them at the tims.

Also Totti posted a factual inaccuracy. Head to head, trophies wise, Eck was better then O'Neill.

Also Totti posted a factual inaccuracy. Head to head, trophies wise, Eck was better then O'Neill.

Totti will, undoubtedly, retort that his "head to head" was based on games against each other and not trophies won. And he would be right that MON won that. That said, I would rather lose the head to head in games but win the head to head in trophy count (preferably we would win BOTH though....).

Statistics eh ?? we know what they say about them....

Totti will, undoubtedly, retort that his "head to head" was based on games against each other and not trophies won. And he would be right that MON won that. That said, I would rather lose the head to head in games but win the head to head in trophy count (preferably we would win BOTH though....).

Statistics eh ?? we know what they say about them....

Sort of true, but we all know that trophies won is the only statistic that counts. The rest is window dressing. :D

Sort of true, but we all know that trophies won is the only statistic that counts. The rest is window dressing. :D

Unless you specify "head to head" statistics as Totti did, in which case it's entirely obvious what he's talking about ...... and it's not trophies.:rolleyes: