Watershed: fans� chief calls for end to chants that have Gers in Uefa dock...

RANGERS supporters chief Stephen Smith believes being forced to play European matches behind closed doors would be a massive turning point in the Ibrox club's fight against sectarianism.

Smith, the secretary of the influential Rangers Supporters Trust, was stunned to learn last night that Uefa have charged the Scottish champions for a second time as a result of their fans' conduct this season.

He is deeply unhappy that Football Against Racism Europe - instead of Uefa's official match delegate at the Europa League game against PSV Eindhoven in Glasgow ââ?¬â?? appear to be responsible for this latest action being taken.

But he thinks if the Gers are found guilty and do have to play money-spinning European games in empty stadiums it could finally force some supporters to think seriously about their actions.

He said: "I think this is a watershed moment. We have got to sort our own act out. Not having done so yet is allowing people who are hostile to Rangers, who have their own agenda, to do things like this.

"We have to sit down and reflect on our standing as a 21st century sporting institution. We have to talk to people who think bellowing abuse at the Pope on a match day is an expression of their Protestant faith and is acceptable

"I don't think you would find any Protestant clergymen who would agree. They would tell you their faith is about positive aspects of Christianity, not about abusing some German guy who lives in the middle of Rome.

"Rangers is a multi-racial, multi-ethnic club now on and off the park. Look at guys like Bobby and Satti Singh (the prominent Glasgow businessmen and diehard Rangers fans). They aren't Protestants, but they are just as passionate about Rangers as I am."

Smith feels that for Uefa to punish Rangers for the actions of some of their fans would be excessive and unfair given the great lengths the Ibrox club has gone to stamp out the scourge of sectarianism in recent years.

He said: "What more can Rangers reasonably be expected to do? They have done so much to address this problem. Personally, I am now in favour of people being lifted, charged, fined and banned from games.

"Uefa punishing Rangers for this would be like pubs being punished for people fighting in the streets or drinks companies like Tennent's and Carling being punished for domestic violence.

"Being punished for the actions of away supporters in Europe would be especially harsh. With budget airlines and the internet anybody can travel to watch Rangers. I myself have travelled independently to games on a number of occasions.

"Many of the people who are attending away games in Europe purporting to be Rangers fans have no association with the club and patently don't care about it. So it would be hard to ask them to think about their actions no matter what, if any, punishment Uefa deliver."

Smith questioned the impartiality of Fare ââ?¬â?? who he revealed have ignored communication from the RST about the racist abuse suffered by El Hadji Diouf at the hands of Celtic fans since he moved to Scotland on loan in January.

He said: "We have written to that organisation twice over the last month and a half.

"The first time we sent them You Tube footage of the Celtic support collectively abusing El Hadji Diouf. Then we sent them a report into the Celtic fan who made monkey chants at Diouf.

"We asked them to comment on that and have not received any reply. They know who we are and where to get us. The fact they haven't been anywhere near us indicates they are working to a different agenda and are being manipulated."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/watershed-fans-chief-calls-for-end-to-chants-that-have-gers-in-uefa-dock-1.1096560

It’s a good article.

It’s deffo a big moment in Rangers history. The line has been drawn in the sand and we need to step over it and not look back. It is hard to take for some people, but it is the 21st century and while we will never forget our heritage we do need to get rid of the FTP crap and the word Fenian. I am more than aware that the word Fenian is a massive oxymoron in the World of the Old Firm as we all know.

I know people like to point fingers and say,”what about them” Forget that now, UEFA are onto us and the SFA wont be far away. Once this settles and we accept and drop the FTP crap then we can look at the tarriers. We all know this is orchestrated from them and Spiers.

They are not offended by the words at all, they are doing this because they hate us and have found a way to get at us.

it’s time to bite the bullet and move on. We still have a long hymn sheet to sing from and we can still shake Ibrox to its foundations on those big Euro nights without shouting fuck the pope.