I was catching up with an old school friend on Saturday, enjoying some drink and some banter. While I was in the bar, a group of about 10 or so "Aberdeen fans" were seated next to me.

How did I know they were visitors to Glasgow to witness the now inevitable thrashing at the hands of Celtic, well I overheard them singing a song.

I was offended, and disgusted.

They were glorifying in the vile assault on one of Scotlands most promising talents which left every football fan wondering "what if" as too how good this kid could have been. It destroyed his career, and when you look at how good it was when he eventually recovered, it just pains you even more. These are the same 'tartan blooded' fans who claim to be the backbone of the scottish support.

Now having been brought up in the Aberdeen area, I know full well the connetations of singing such songs. It is to antagonise, offend and disgust a group of people based on one denomination: The fact that they are Rangers fans.

If we continually get told that Rangers songs are racists and sectarian (when they are predominantly used to wind up celtic fans) why, when songs are directed against us is it not? Rangers are not a race, or a sect, but why can the connetations of Rangers' songs be inferred, while others cannot?

The easiest way to rid us of the threat of punishment is to stop singing the songs. But when singing a tune is interpreted as more than a highlighting of the ridiculous one sided "witch-hunt" and is infact seen as deep rooted racist and bigotted behaviour is laughable. This is what we are faced with.

The condemnation of inappropriate songs is correct, but it is not just Rangers songs. The tribalistic nature is being peversly twisted so that anything Rangers do is sectarian, and anything anyone else sings is just "banter". I fear until this discrimination (that is the only word for it) is addressed, the problem will never disappear and potentially could having damning repercussions for football in Scotland.

... Just part of a never-ending rant...

Such songs clearly breach the SPL's own Unacceptable Conduct rules. Rules, which as far as I can see, have never been used to punish any club so are about as relevant as an underwater hair-dryer.

Guest Dutchy
Such songs clearly breach the SPL's own Unacceptable Conduct rules. Rules, which as far as I can see, have never been used to punish any club so are about as relevant as an underwater hair-dryer.

Quite true. As I've said elsewhere on another thread, the Hearts fans were clearly singing the Gorgie boys and it was very, very clear. The annoying thing that Rangers do seem to be the only ones being accused of abusive singing, without being charged with any offence, but made to look guilty with the European charges. And of course, every other clubs fans say that they've heard it as well, but they never seem to hear their own fans signing filth, huh!

I know what you mean Andrew having used to live there also. Its a dangerous place!

I would still want the club to take a stronger stand against all SPL clubs and refuse away tickets for a season to hit them in the pockets.