Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

I will give you Advocaat & PLG.... but I am not nearly as convinced as you about Eck. Yes, McCleish had experience as a boss but I doubt he was as high-profile as McCoist in all honesty.

Again, though, why is it you are pointing the finger at McCoist ?

Danny, you have either avoided my questions in this regard or, well, I dont know.

McCoist identifies the targets. Other than that he is the mouthpiece.

Whyte, along with Smith, will be handling transfer negotiations. Any ire with regard to our failing on the transfer front should be directed towards those two, not McCoist.

It's curious. Before Whyte came in we never actually raised the issue of the owner (SDM) and CE (Bain) being responsible for signings - we always appraised Walter or Eck or whoevers' record in that department.

Now Whyte has taken over the goalposts have shifted hugely - now we're suddenly deciding it's the owner and our SD Smith who are responsible for them.

I don't remember it being like this before Whyte came along.

As for your questions Craig, I'm not exactly sure what they are?

In all honesty, there could be an issue with attracting player because we have an inexperienced manager. There could be one because Whyte isn't willing to give the wages players want or pay the fees. There could be one because Smith isn't negotiating very well. I don't really know.

But the Whyte, Ally and Smith era hasn't exactly started all that well, whoever is responsible.

It's curious. Before Whyte came in we never actually raised the issue of the owner (SDM) and CE (Bain) being responsible for signings - we always appraised Walter or Eck or whoevers' record in that department.

Now Whyte has taken over the goalposts have shifted hugely - now we're suddenly deciding it's the owner and our SD Smith who are responsible for them.

I don't remember it being like this before Whyte came along.

You're confusing the issue here. Manager's are judged retrospectively on signings they did make. In this instance we are discussing signings not made.

You're confusing the issue here. Manager's are judged retrospectively on signings they did make. In this instance we are discussing signings not made.

Exactly and our new manager has a list of targets he now wants and it's up to Smith and Whyte to negotiate to get them. They will offer what we can afford and what they think the player is worth, this is always the way it's been done so I can't see why McCoist is getting any stick whatsoever here and i'm sure Smith and Whyte will not pay over the odds for anyone as we have done in the past. As SA said if they turn out to be rotten then fair enough. I doubt with him being a rookie manager that this will put off players, I'm sure over his career as a top class player, TV pundit and coach and also his big personality he has a large friend base and is well respected in the game which can only help him but only if the player wants to come to us, to play in the SPL and hopefully the CL. If they want to go to the English 2nd tier purely for money then that's up to them.

My point remains. I don't remember SDM being namechecked whenever we were in for someone. Now it's all about Whyte. Which I find strange.

My point remains. I don't remember SDM being namechecked whenever we were in for someone. Now it's all about Whyte. Which I find strange.

Not necessarily though. A different regime may have different people doing different things.

It is fairly obvious to me that a large element to Gordon Smith's remit is the handling of transfers and, IIRC, Whyte said he himself would be involved in the handling of transfers.

I dont see the need to chastise McCoist over the lack of transfers when the ONLY involvement he has in them is identifying the players.

Not necessarily though. A different regime may have different people doing different things.

It is fairly obvious to me that a large element to Gordon Smith's remit is the handling of transfers and, IIRC, Whyte said he himself would be involved in the handling of transfers.

I dont see the need to chastise McCoist over the lack of transfers when the ONLY involvement he has in them is identifying the players.

My main two criticisms of McCoist so far I've already posted about. I'm also disappointed about the lack of signings, and I disagree strongly that all Ally does is identify the player he wants. After all, didn't Hemed say he met McCoist personally during negotiations? Unless that player is lying, I think the view from some quarters on here that McCoist has fuck all to do with transfer negotiations is wide of the mark.

I just think he's getting an easier ride from some. He's our manager, he will get stick and praise when he deserves them.