Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

I dont see the need to chastise McCoist over the lack of transfers when the ONLY involvement he has in them is identifying the players.

And coming out in the media (not as much as Whyte) as saying we've either a) bid for a player or b) interested in a player.

I think a sensible course of action would be to make judgements on a new manager when he's actually had time to make an impact and not making snap judgements.

And no, Danny, I dont believe your point stands. My one you quoted does however. Football fans do not, as a very general rule, lambast managers for the club being unable to entice a player due to the financial package on offer or the standard of league and country the club operates in,

I think a sensible course of action would be to make judgements on a new manager when he's actually had time to make an impact and not making snap judgements.

So it wasn't sensible of me to have doubts about PLG?

And no, Danny, I dont believe your point stands. My one you quoted does however. Football fans do not, as a very general rule, lambast managers for the club being unable to entice a player due to the financial package on offer or the standard of league and country the club operates in,

You've added extras to this argument - I didn't say Ally was to blame for any of that! So actually I think you're shifting the goalposts somewhat. So, I don't agree with you, and you don't agree with me.

I also think it's a laughable comment from you to describe my reservations over the past month, which btw, many agreed with, excluding you, in that thread I started, as 'lambasting'.

You almost sound tabloid. Twisting and changing someone's argument to sell a paper (post).

Round and round in circles.

I think a lot of the doubt I have and am seeing from others will disappear when we finally make a decent signing. That's what all this boils down to - all the promise of a new owner, director, and manager and the expectation of an overhaul of a paper thin squad, and we just haven't seen anything really happen yet.

For weeks I was loving all the players we were being linked to, but that eventually gets a little tiresome if you don't see a signature now and again.

My main two criticisms of McCoist so far I've already posted about. I'm also disappointed about the lack of signings, and I disagree strongly that all Ally does is identify the player he wants. After all, didn't Hemed say he met McCoist personally during negotiations? Unless that player is lying, I think the view from some quarters on here that McCoist has fuck all to do with transfer negotiations is wide of the mark.

I just think he's getting an easier ride from some. He's our manager, he will get stick and praise when he deserves them.

Meeting McCoist doesnt mean McCoist is dealing with the transfer negotiations. Speaking to the guy is hardly dealing with discussing of contracts.

I am not sure Hemed said he met him though - did he not say that McCoist could make him a better player due to McCoist's scoring record ? When we were trying to sign Hemed I though McCoist was on the Ohio water-rafting and Argentina trip ? Cant be sure but I didnt think McCoist was in the country when Hemed was being discussed.

And coming out in the media (not as much as Whyte) as saying we've either a) bid for a player or b) interested in a player.

Which is a different debate. As I said previously, aside from identifying players it seems he is the club mouthpiece.

The window has only been open a couple of weeks though and most players are on holiday. These things WILL take time. We have lost out on TWO players, both of whom seemed to chase the money, which is fair enough.

According to Whyte neither Danns nor Hemed were our "first choice".

The time to judge will be midnight on August 31st (OK, July 23rd when we play Hearts....). The time to judge on transfers is Aug 31. But the club management (Board and management team) better be prepared should we not have any players by the season opener... they will get a free ride if we start well, but if we dont there will be a LOT of unhappy Bears saying "told you we needed players in before the season started".

I think we ALL wanted to see players in early - but I wont be getting overly upset just now given how long the window has been open.

I think the problem lies in just how thin our squad is. Celtic have a massive squad and could afford to make no signings. Their fans would be disgruntled but they know they have the depth to cope with a full season.

We arguably do not, albeit in saying that we've managed 3 in a row on what we basically have.

I just think there's only so much you can ask from the same small group of players before you critically need new players - and with this new regime we really should have had a headstart in bringing guys in. That no one has come in is extremely disappointing.

But I won't panic until 00:00:01 on September 1st.

My main two criticisms of McCoist so far I've already posted about. I'm also disappointed about the lack of signings, and I disagree strongly that all Ally does is identify the player he wants. After all, didn't Hemed say he met McCoist personally during negotiations? Unless that player is lying, I think the view from some quarters on here that McCoist has fuck all to do with transfer negotiations is wide of the mark.

I just think he's getting an easier ride from some. He's our manager, he will get stick and praise when he deserves them.

I doubt very much Ally, like virtually every other manager (unless you're harry redknapp :) ), has anything to do with the money side of things in players deals. The player of course meets the manager who will try and sell him the club but that's it. I still can't believe any fan can give him a hard time until we start playing games, in fact it makes no sense at all sorry!