Manager confirms Argentina scouting trip

Details....

McCoist was able to take in seven games on his visit to South America as he prepares to build his squad for the SPL kick-off on July 23.

He added: "I and my staff have been recommended a few players from Argentina and this was a good opportunity to go out and have a look at some of them.

"I think I have seen just about all the top teams in the country - the likes of Estudiantes, River Plate, Argentinos Juniors, River Plate and Velez Sarsfield.

"It has certainly given me the chance to get a better handle on things in Argentina and it was a very worthwhile exercise.

"But I wouldn't say there is anything specific at this stage.

"There have been one or two players who have caught my eye and I might try to follow up a couple of things when I get back."

It'll be interesting to see if anything comes of it, but players from countries like Argentina and Brazil are often over-priced. The sort of players we should be looking at are South Americans from places like Costa Rica etc. FC Copenhagen picked up 27 yr old Costa Rican international right winger Christian Bolanos last summer for a million euros. He's got 35 caps for Costa Rica and a pretty good scoring rate for a winger over the past 3 seasons in Norway then in Denmark since joining Copenhagen last summer.

When you look at a club like Copenhagen, they seem to be able to find some real gems for relatively small transfer fees. Their Senegal striker N'Doye was another bargain at 2 million euros and they landed a cracking Brazilian striker, Santin a couple of seasons ago for about 1.3m euros.