Its good to take our mids of the spl with a european game. I think a point will be a good result but there is no reason why we cant go over there and snaek 3 points. The only reason that Livorno got into the Uefa Cup this year was becasue of the match fixing scandal last season.I hope le guen sticks with letizi in goals to give him some backing

here is the team i would play

..............................................Letizi......................................................

...bardsley...................j rod...................svensson.......................smith...

....................ferguson..............hemdani..................rae.........................

................................................prso.....................................................

.............................novo.......................sebo.........................................

i would play novo because he has been performing well for the reserves and the last couple of games he has played for the first team he has played good. Him up front with sebo would be great on counter attack

Your team looks not bad and i would agree with the midfield 3 anyway.

Any Italian side away from home is difficult but this tie is not impossible. I think il be having a flutter with the bookies putting us at 3/1.

The annoying thing is that it looks like we'll have to make sweeping changes for a very important game. A team that plays like they did cannot expect to be the same one picked for the next game.

I think Rae deserves a shout but I'd have liked him to have had a league game first. He can't play any worse than Adam and has an older head.

Novo is about as dangerous as a pillow fight these days, but at least he'll put some effort in and possibly create a chance or two for someone else.

Svensson has to play out of necessity and so could have done with a game on Saturday to get him up to speed. He couldn't have been much worse than Papac.

Hutton has a shout over Bardsley as he was playing better than the Man U kid before being dropped for him. But I think favouritism will kick in again. (I was hoping that was something left in the past.)

Buffel has to be dropped and at best played as a sub.

Letizi should be dropped but PLG is too stubborn for that.

Fergie and Prso need to give a bit more than they did on Saturday although the captain was one of the lesser offenders against ICT as was Smith.

I would normally want to drop a player looking as knackered as Dado but we really need him for this game.

Boyd must start, end of. Sebo dropped big time.

__________________Letizi_______________

___Bardsley___Svensson___J-Rod___Smith_

_____________Hemdani___Rae___________

_________________Ferguson____________

_________Novo_______________Prso_____

__________________Boyd______________

Not exactly inspiring for an away game against a what is presently a pretty good Italian side.

I'd go with cal's suggestion.

I'd maybe play N'Diaye instead of Novo though in a 4-3-3. He's been doing well in the reserves and is tougher than Buffel and Novo so may perform well in an advanced free role.

An alternative would be to have Hemdani at the back and bring Buffel in for counter attacks.

_________________Letizi______________

Bardsley___Hemdani_____J Rod____Smith

__________Ferguson____Rae__________

___Novo________Buffel___________Prso

________________Boyd______________

Boyd is a must start for this game (and the next few!) IMO.

No he's not a Kenny Miller style player who runs about all over the final 3rd of the pitch chasing the ball, but we have a few other players, Prso of course, who can do that, then get the ball into Boyd and do what he does best.... score.

I would say McGregor aswell, but i think PLG will be sticking with Letizi and trying to prove he was right to drop McGregor.

Id also drop Buffel and have Sebo in behind Boyd, Buffel's been mis-firing for a while now and i think needs to sit out a game or two to give others a chance.

An alternative would be to have Hemdani at the back and bring Buffel in for counter attacks.

_________________Letizi______________

Bardsley___Hemdani_____J Rod____Smith

__________Ferguson____Rae__________

___Novo________Buffel___________Prso

________________Boyd______________

That's maybe a good shout for a home game against ICT but it's not defensive enough for an away game in Italy...

Taken from the other thread on the subject I went for....

I'd agree on the back 4 and keeper, but I'm starting to really have no idea what our best midfield is - a problem I think I share with PLG. Big problem is that Hemdani has played well this season but he and Fergie can't play in the same team. Uunless Hemdani plays as a holding midfielder with Fergie in front of him and told not to drop so deep?

As its not two legged I think we should go for it, so a nice 4-4-2 would do me. How about the following? Abuot time N'Diaye got a chance and I don't think a lack of wingers would do us any harm if we encourage Smith and Bardsley to get forward.

Up front, I know I'm like a stuck record, but Boyd must play. We're still wasting lots of chances, so why he's stuck on the bench I'll never know. It was obvious from the amount of running Sebo did yesterday that PLG has been hammering home the point about wanting more from his forwards, so stick the pair of them on, let them have time to build up an understanding and see what happens.

FWIW I can see PLG going with Letizi to prove a point and I don't think he'll ever drop J-Rod.

_______________McGregor_______________

Bardsley___Svensson___Papac____Smith____

_______________Hemdani_________________

_____N'Diaye___Ferguson___Rae___________

___________Sebo_______Boyd____________

There has been plenty good debate about what team / formation we should go with for the next few games.

The main thing is its all about getting it right whoever is selected.

Most on here are for the 4-4-2 but IMO this only works with the right players. If you have 2 wingers in a 4-4-2 then you are going to get exposed out wide or if the central players cover the wide positions it will leave gaps in the middle.

Also if you go with 2 central players they must be organised to play either side by side and take up a section of the pitch each or play 1 infront of the other with 1 sitting protecting and the other linking forward. This is where we are having problems IMO. With Ferguson in the team he seems to sit and cover the hole area himself and take on too much. This would be ok if he could form a partnership with Buffel who could play infront of him (aka McCall / Gazza style) but he doesnt and it wont work while a similar player is next to him unless its a 5 man midfield.

4-4-2 will only work if the 2 players chosen will track back and cover there sides of the pitch. Under Advocaat we had at least 3 real midfielders in the team and it makes a massive difference.

Thats why at the moment i favour a 4-5-1 (defending) / 4-3-3 (attacking) or the 3-5-2.