I decided to sit back and decipher the game v Hearts on Saturday before coming on here to put forward my comments.

I watched the game on TV and was very disappointed in our performance, particularly the performance of Juan Manuel Ortiz. Davy Provan, a cultured left winger in days gone by kept on during commentary referring to Ortiz not being a natural left winger and preferring to use his right foot in order to deliver a cross.

The boy McGowan, under instruction from his boss Jeffries snuffed him out no trouble at all.

My worry is why did Coisty play him there in the first place when respected guys in the game like Jefferies and Provan seen it coming?

If we are signing players just for the sake of signing players then we are in for a very long season, surely we have someone in our squad who can play on the left? If not then why play Juan Manuel Ortiz there when others see a weakness.

I thought Ortiz had a good game defensively, tracking back well, working really hard and making some good tackles, but in an attacking sense he doesn't look like he'll get the better of fast full backs very often. He was seeing a LOT of the ball on that left wing on Saturday, but didn't manage to do much with it because he just doesn't have the pace or level of skill required to make up for his lack of pace. It's a bit premature to right him off as a possible winger for us, but to me it's pretty obvious already why Almeria played him as a full back last season. If we hadn't signed Wallace Ortiz would be our left back backup for me, but now that we've signed Wallace I think Ortiz might have to become just a utility squad player who doesn't play every week.

No offense to the guy or anything and no offense to our scouts etc but he doesn't really look like what we needed.

Edited by Zappa

Ortiz got on the ball a bit especially first half but as mentioned McGowan had him. Bit too early to judge him, he might need a few games to get used to SPL. He looks technically decent, id consider playing him a more free role rather than stuck out on the wing. Wylde should be first pick LM anyway.

He looks technically decent, id consider playing him a more free role rather than stuck out on the wing.

We need someone better than Ortiz for that 'free role' Gribz. Someone faster, more skillfull, more creative. Just better all round.

Going on what I have seen, a versatile player who will be a decent squad player. Much rather give Wylde a game for his youth, pace and corners, let's see if he can improve with the experience.

Having said that, if Allys like most Managers after spending money on a player, he might just play every game.

I'm going to be clich�© and say the guy needs more games before a definitive judgement is made. He may have had a mediocre game while McGowan could have been at his best. Maybe he needs time to gel or get to fitness or maybe will play a lot better on the right.

I only seen the highlights and I thought he showed some promise at times being reasonably comfortable on the ball and picking out the odd decent pass. First impressions usually stick but as long as he didn't look completely shit, then we should give him a few games to show what he can do.

Guy certainly lacked a bit of sharpness and seemed surprised at the physical nature of the game at times.

However, his first touch was good, his work-rate excellent and he improved after half-time. Plenty more to come so I won't be writing him off yet.

I think the biggest problem was that he was rendered slightly impotent by not being able to use momentum.

As any winger will tell you, if they're playing on the wing of their oriented foot, they will happily run at defenders, aim for the byline, and swing a cross in. He wasn't able to do that, and ended up looking more like DaMarcus Beasley - getting into dangerous territory but cutting back and either passing back to midfield or losing the ball entirely.

Far too early to judge him, especially if being played out of position. But the early signs aren't especially promising.

Played the man out of position on the left but then all new signings seem to get the left side as some sort of punishment you must play on the left for 6 months boy before you can play anywhere else. Been Rangers biggest problem position for years and the one trick pony Wylde isn't the answer either McGowan had him for pace too. McGowan lookd a real talent should be keeping an eye on that boy for next season. But back to Ortiz great first touch lacking pace but worked hard get him on the right side of midfield push Davis in to middle with naismith and buy a left sided midfielder it's not rocket science.