Why You Should Have Faith In Our Manager

Guest BrickHands

I'm surprised rbr. You're normally the most level head! It seems like it's a case of "heads you win, tails you lose" for the new manager and owners. Things will always go public now, as it cranks up the pressure on the buying club. If we try and keep something hush, then they will be accused of keeping the fans in the dark while being asked to shell out money on season tickets. If a journalist gets a whiff (as they will inevitably do because of agents) then Ally would be forced to lie at a press conference, which he just can't do. It's like the fans are falling directly into the trap set for them in favour of the selling clubs and agents. And Of those players, we offered several as high as our wage structure will allow, and they turned us down - nothing you can do about that. Miller was at an inflated price, and would have had no sell on value. Ortiz , Goian , Wallace we got, and the other two may still work out. Honestly, getting a player is the definition of a zero sum game - if you don't win, you lose, and whoever wins or loses does so directly proportionate to the loss/gain on the other side. The same is true for what price you sell or buy at - the more pressure the fans put on out of embarrasment, the weaker hand you have in transfer dealings. I'm honestly baffled.

Would you have paid a few million for Miller, or broke our wage structure for someone like Conway or Hemed or Danns? We have succesfully struck a deal for Cuellar, we're just waiting on him. We can't force him. We're trying to get value for money, and that means bidding what you can afford and being prepared to walk away. If that means fans with a weaker constitution get all embarrased on the club's behalf, so be it, for me.

Rangers waiting on a player ? how times have changed and not for the better.

I'm surprised rbr. You're normally the most level head! It seems like it's a case of "heads you win, tails you lose" for the new manager and owners. Things will always go public now, as it cranks up the pressure on the buying club. If we try and keep something hush, then they will be accused of keeping the fans in the dark while being asked to shell out money on season tickets. If a journalist gets a whiff (as they will inevitably do because of agents) then Ally would be forced to lie at a press conference, which he just can't do. It's like the fans are falling directly into the trap set for them in favour of the selling clubs and agents. And Of those players, we offered several as high as our wage structure will allow, and they turned us down - nothing you can do about that. Miller was at an inflated price, and would have had no sell on value. Ortiz , Goian , Wallace we got, and the other two may still work out. Honestly, getting a player is the definition of a zero sum game - if you don't win, you lose, and whoever wins or loses does so directly proportionate to the loss/gain on the other side. The same is true for what price you sell or buy at - the more pressure the fans put on out of embarrasment, the weaker hand you have in transfer dealings. I'm honestly baffled.

Would you have paid a few million for Miller, or broke our wage structure for someone like Conway or Hemed or Danns? We have succesfully struck a deal for Cuellar, we're just waiting on him. We can't force him. We're trying to get value for money, and that means bidding what you can afford and being prepared to walk away. If that means fans with a weaker constitution get all embarrased on the club's behalf, so be it, for me.

Definetly not , and I agree with all your points , however what I was trying to say was that Ally went public with every transfer target I listed and was also quoted directly stating he wanted them at the club , now he more than any knows our requirements , he more than anyone will carry the can for the success/failure of this season , and he was also in place during the Kaunus debacle , there is no excuses for how we have approached these transfers and the players we are still keen on , Bougherra is away in 3 days yet his replacement is still not in place , that is all I am stating , I thought our business would have been much more professional , to go back 4 times to try and get Goodwillie and eventually offer more than what we would have had to pay 2 weeks ago is mind blowing .

In my estimation Rangers aren't everyone, just another dumbing down of the expectations of those who accept that sort of decline in our standards.

Where do you get that from? People have been saying that for the last four years, and yet we won 8 trophies in that time and reached a UEFA cup final. It was one of the most successful four year spells in our history.

I think some people must be pretty new to Rangers or have some really rose tinted view of the past. You could almost say Rangers have a tradition of not offering over the odds and "losing out" on players. It was certainly like that during the Jock Wallace and John Greig years - we couldn't even compete with Sunderland for Ally McCoist. The only time it hasn't been like that was during Souness's short time and then the time where we were so "successful" and "professional" in the transfer market, we ended up about 78 million in debt and still have fall out from that era threatening to swallow up what little money we have now.

I think those that who have the highest of expectations are the dumbed down ones who can't use their intelligence to see what realistically the club can achieve. If anyone is not living up to the expectations of Rangers FC, it is the large section of moronic "fans" who seem to have Tourettes when it comes to offensive chants and songs that harm the club. If there is an embarrassment at the club it's there - when you look at that aspect, you have to wonder what are these "standards" that people are talking about.

Edited by calscot

On the one hand you moan we don't have any players and it's amateurish and on the other you say we shouldn't wait for anyone to decide to come to us. In wabash world, how exactly do you sign a player?

Definetly not , and I agree with all your points , however what I was trying to say was that Ally went public with every transfer target I listed and was also quoted directly stating he wanted them at the club ,

I'm no media expert, but it seems like they are just trying to control the newsflow. I agree it's a bit hard to hear from the manager's mouth that we want someone, then they go somewhere else. But, on the other hand, what's happening most of the time is that journalists are finding out - probably via leaky agents - and they are being forced to respond. Ally's strategy is clearly to be open and engaging with the press, which in a time when so many are against us may prove wise.

I thought our business would have been much more professional , to go back 4 times to try and get Goodwillie and eventually offer more than what we would have had to pay 2 weeks ago is mind blowing .

That's the thing - we have absolutely no idea what we would have got him at 2 weeks ago other than in paper speculation that the selling club engineers to try and get more money. It looks like our Goodwillie strategy didn't work, but that's in part been due to other circumstances like his being freed from his charges. It worked with Wallace etc.

You may yet be shown 100% correct that we've been poor in our transfer dealings, but it's just too early to tell.