Tabloid journalism now rules Scottish TV news

Watching both the STV and BBC news tonight discussing the Lennon court case result the main thing that struck me was that both channels actually went out their way to NOT discuss the main issues involved. Both channels went for the sensationalist angle trotting out the usual suspects to express their confusion and anger that a decision that didn't suit them had been reached. Basically they both danced around the issue without even attempting to analyse why and how the jury reached it's not proven verdit. Despite having access to two supposed top QCs (one of whom is hopelessly compromised by his own prejudice but let's leave that for later) neither channel chose to question and explore the legal framework involved let alone asking what for me is surely the critical question, i.e. "how were the jury directed by the judge before retiring to consider their verdict?" More specifically the question should be "why did the jury delete the sectarian aspect from the BOTP charge but not the assault charge?" Were they instructed that they couldn't do it for the assault charge but could for the BOTP charge and if so why? Good investigative journalists would be seeking the answers to those questions but those types seem thin on the ground at the BBC and STV.

Or are they? does the absence of proper investigative reporting of this case suggest another agenda? That perhaps they know the answers and that they know that if those answers were made public they would kill the sensational story stone dead? Sectarianism real or perceived sells papers and gets people tuning into TV channels. Accurate reporting of legal niceties is boring and a turn off, especially if such reporting kills a story they can run for months.

Edited by Gingerger

The lack of proper reporting of facts and truths in this case are 100% because of the government agenda on the subject. The BBC, STV and the WHOLE Scottish press are in the government's back pocket. You'll get rogue articles (especially in the tabloids) questioning things thrown into the mix to make it all seem like it isn't working that way, but it ultimately is. The media is there first and foremost to serve as a propaganda machine. It's sad and it's not something that can be changed easily if at all, but at least we haven't devolved to the levels of propaganda and bullshit you see on American channels like Fox. Not quite and not yet anyway...

Unfortunately, the standard of journalism - particularly in Scotland has sunk in recent years to an atrocious level. Guest QCs are brought on TV, or quoted in newspapers, because the journalists don't have a scooby, and are quite content to let the subject get a quasi-informed airing, then they are quite happy to resort to ill-informed low level sensationalist comment or summary. Unfortunately for a great many, this seems to tick the boxes, and they seriously think they have received the inner wisdom.

Even more unfortunately, this doesn't only exist on TV and in the tabloids. Our once great newspapers like the Herald and the Scotsman are every bit as crass, and most journalists would rather send in a Freedom of Information request and make their own conclusions than give a bit of thought, get off thier arses and do some proper investigative journalism.

Another point I would like to make is that the John Wilson case should not be discussed on football chat shows and the back pages of tabloids. That should be a vehicle for the analysis of sport, and the journalists there - despite having opinion in abundance, are grossly ignorant of the law. In my opinion, the majority of them are grossly ignorant of sport as well. Sensationalism rules the day, and is the bee all and end all. I remember the days when all the journalism was about the content of the match.

Finally, regarding the John Wilson case, the guy was obviously guilty of breach of the peace and assault. The prosecution, however, determined that this was not enough - for whatever purpose (perhaps to raise the profile of religious aggravation, perhaps to enable a much stiffer sentence), and that they would proceed with the religiously aggravated add on as per section 74 of the Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act 2003. That decision was what caused the assault part of the charges to be found not proven. One witness out of the many around chose to say in court that Wilson had uttered the words "fenian bastard." Of note is the fact that Lennon, Thompson and the police chose not to back the witness up. Wilson denied this, and therefore a core element of Scottish law - corroboration - did not exist in the evidence.

It will now be intersting to see what kind of sentence Wilson receives, given that he has been imprisoned since May 11th. I am quite sure that heads are being scratched, and brows furrowed as we speak.

For Paul McBride to unwisely criticise the decision of the jury, and cast doubt on their integrity is a matter which shouldn't be swept under the carpet. The chap makes a good buck out of finding loopholes to sway juries himself, and, in other circumstances, he would be preening at the outcome of such a case, should he have been the defence QC.

No - to sum up - it's not the fault of the jury. The answers for the conspiracy theorists lie with the Crown Office and why they superciliously decided to go for a Royal Flush when a straight would have won the hand.

Edited by bluebear54

The lack of proper reporting of facts and truths in this case are 100% because of the government agenda on the subject. The BBC, STV and the WHOLE Scottish press are in the government's back pocket. You'll get rogue articles (especially in the tabloids) questioning things thrown into the mix to make it all seem like it isn't working that way, but it ultimately is. The media is there first and foremost to serve as a propaganda machine. It's sad and it's not something that can be changed easily if at all, but at least we haven't devolved to the levels of propaganda and bullshit you see on American channels like Fox. Not quite and not yet anyway...

Zappa, in my opinion the relationship between the press and the Government (and indeed the SFA, SPL etc) is much more complex than you make out, although thanks for your insight.

In converse, there are quite clearly situations where the press actually drive and motivate the Government into action, and not always in a positive way. Recent London riots, Brighton and Flower Power in the 60s, immigration and gypsy traveller issues to mention a few. But agreed there are situations where the Government (or opposition politicians) use the media to provoke a general mood in order to promote their policies. That's the way of the world. But to represent the media as unwitting lemmings is way, way, way off the mark.

In my opinion, last season's reporting in the media corralled the Government into action, instead of the other way round. You can see this by the words that are bandied around in political circles at present such as the "Old Firm Shame Game," "Viable Devices" and "Our National Game." The real "shame game" of the season - in any neutral's eyes - was the May encounter between Hearts and Celtic. That one was pure bile, and, on a side note, I can see the next one being a big love-in.

I would think it's far from gospel that the press are in the back pocket of the Government. There are a lot of mini agendas, mixed in with the need to be sensationalist to sell newspapers. If it ever really existed (and i tend to doubt that) good honest journalism left the building many moons ago.

Can you really imagine Alex Salmond phoning Chick Young or Speirs to tell them how to report something? Our beloved Chick and Speirsy are so convinced of their own intellectual prowess and the universal worthiness of their own opinions to let fact get in the way of a good bit of sensationalism.

If anyone can be accused to have the media in their back pocket, I wouldn't suggest the Government, but look along Kerrydale Street and further up the yellow and green brick road.

Self initiated sensationalism - unfortunately with agenda - within the media is the real devil in the mix, not Goverment inspired manipulation.