Derek Grierson RIP

It was an Italian club, forget who, that came over here and started to applaud during a minutes silence(I think it was also Italians that started the turning your back show) and there was an almighty brew-ha-ha for their lack of respect. However, once it was explained that that's the way they do it, it was accepted and indeed introduced over in this country, but soon fell out of favour, with some clubs holding on to it. septic, obviously one of the one that retained the habit.

I'm old school and was brought up with silence in order to cast my thoughts on the person that has passed away, if they were known to you, or contemplate the spectre of death which comes to us all. Clapping my hands is not natural to me, so I don't do it, but I have no problem with people that choose to do so.

It does seem a wee bit silly though if one half of the ground is clapping and the other half standing in silence, which is what I was trying to resolve in my own head.

Mad Joe O;Rourke

Published on 13-09-2011 12:58 PM

4 Comments

Over the next three weeks or so the Celtic supporters are going to once again be put to the test; and on different issues; as a support we need to be vigilant and be very careful how we react to certain situations.

First test will come this week in Madrid, the problem here will be that Madrid if full of Spanish people; well spotted I hear you say; so let me explain.

Madrid as you know is the capital of Spain, and the inhabitants of the city are very proud of that fact; so where is the problem? Hopefully there will not be a problem.

Some of our supporters over the years have grown fond of the Basque struggle for independence; similar in some ways to the struggles in Ireland and Palestine; and in support of those struggles some of our supporters like to carry the Basque flag.

While we have it in good authority the Celtic supporters will be made most welcome in the city and in the stadium itself; we are informed that the displaying of the Basque flag would not be looked on favourably by the police or security; and they may well try and remove them from the stadium.

Test No 2 comes at Snake Mountain on Sunday; once again I hear we may be subjected to a minutes silence for two Rangers supporters who died fifty years ago; and for a former player who has recently passed away (the minutes silence has yet to be confirmed). While I have no problem whatsoever with people paying their respect to those who have gone before us; it seems that every time we play them there is some kind of ceremony taking place; and I don’t believe it’s all coincidence.

The 3rd test and maybe the most serious comes on October 2nd when we go to Little Snake Mountain in Edinburgh; the home of Heart of Midlothian Football Club, there has always been a poisonous atmosphere there, but with the astonishing acquittal of Hearts supporter John Wilson on charges of assaulting Neil Lennon the atmosphere could be even worse.

I, along with the Celtic Trust met with Celtic’s Head of Operations Ronnie Hawthorn to discuss a few issues regarding security. Ronnie will have his pre-match security meeting for Tynecastle next week; I will keep you informed of any developments on that front.

Back to Snake Mountain on Sunday; recent incidents would appear to suggest that the police still don’t know what they are doing in terms of the new offensive behaviour legislation. I would suggest that if any Celtic supporter feels they are being unfairly dealt with; there are a couple of things you should do.

First of all get the number of any member of the police or security you are dealing with; get details of any witnesses; and get video evidence if possible; I suggest these only as a precaution; hopefully it will not be required.

Some people don't like their IRa banners, but it doesn't seem to worry them when they're in their own country, unless they don't recognize this country. In which case, take their passports off them and let them watch their team get beat on telly.

The evidence is there for anyone to get confused about?!?!!!?

Some people don't like their IRa banners, but it doesn't seem to worry them when they're in their own country, unless they don't recognize this country. In which case, take their passports off them and let them watch their team get beat on telly.

The evidence is there for anyone to get confused about?!?!!!?

Police in this country don't smack them over the head with a big baton, mores the pity.