Is there a link between Jig and poor results or is it coincidence?

I don't suppose this guy has worked it out over the full number of games since we signed him? Would be interesting! It would only be fair to do the same for all the other players who are still here since we signed Jig for comparisson's sake, but it wouldn't paint an accurate picture because a good number of players who helped us win & lose games over that period are now gone and other players have come in.

I find myself questioning the point of slagging-off or picking on Jig when he's played so many games that led us to winning silverware over the past few seasons and I think that's something that should be taken into account, but I'm also trying to get my head around how much of that success is down to better play by others and goals scored by others. At the end of the day the guy has contributed some good performances over the piece and chipped in with the occasional goal, but nobody will convince me that he should still be here playing for us now, never mind till 2013.

No, I don't think he has mate.

Like you, I too appreciate what has done for Rangers. He's the type of guy that you want in the dressing room and training field as he is one of us living the dream. But, like all players, his time with us is up. I'd much rather he bowed out with all of us wishing him well, rather than the fans really getting on his back and making him miserable.

Of course, he does not pick himself and like all players he will want to play every game.

Thought the first half of last season he was great and really wondered if we could manage when he needed knee surgery. But we did and since then he's never got back to anything like the form he is capable of I think he's done but I don't pick the team and we will see more of him this season mores the pity.

That's correct and initially when he was out injured we really missed him.

Perhaps he isn't fully fit or perhaps he has lost a yard of pace and is past it. Hopefully it's the former.

Edited by Bluedell

I'm also trying to get my head around how much of that success is down to better play by others and goals scored by others. .

That's an unfair inference. He has often done the unglamourous work while others take the headlines but he has been an important part of the team.

I refuse to ever blame one player for a bad result. I think it's unfair and nothing more than scapegoating.

McCulloch has served his time at Ibrox - he's given us a lot - sometimes being a fans favourite, others being the punching bag. His versatility has got us through some dark spells - indeed I think the only position he hasn't taken up has been goalie.

He also has big time experience, plenty of OF and CL encounters on his CV, and he's terrific in the air.

This season however there's no denying he's been poor - and tbh I think Ally has realised this hence not starting with him in the OF match. The Falkirk match was about having a strong team out there, not our strongest team - but the attitude of the majority of the players was just ridiculous. Very few came out with any credit at all.

As for McCulloch - I'd be happy if he doesn't play again - but he's a pretty high earner and it's rare to have high earners on the bench.

To answer the OP - I'd say coincidence. We'd be in the CL if Jelavic hadn't missed a sitter in Malmo, if our defence had closed down the striker (Larsson?) for their winner. But that's football - and blaming one player for a team's failure is trying to find reason in annoyance.

I've defended McCulloch against the more vehement criticism he receives but on his showings this season, the guy looks finished.

I appreciate he's been coming back from injury (or pre-season rustiness) in most of his games so that may account for a lack of sharpness but in almost every game his lack of pace and mobility have been exposed - particularly later in matches.

He and Papac were both culpable last night - McCulloch for being unable to cope with quick counters and Papac refusing to work hard to get back into position meaning Wylde had to not only supply the attack but cover defensively for the Bosnian also.

I hope both are dropped for Saturday.

This you coming round to Wallace at last Frankie ;)

tbf I praised Papac highly for his display in the OF, but given the choice between the two, most lineups I see on this forum agree with Wallace as first choice.

I refuse to ever blame one player for a bad result. I think it's unfair and nothing more than scapegoating.

McCulloch has served his time at Ibrox - he's given us a lot - sometimes being a fans favourite, others being the punching bag. His versatility has got us through some dark spells - indeed I think the only position he hasn't taken up has been goalie.

He also has big time experience, plenty of OF and CL encounters on his CV, and he's terrific in the air.

This season however there's no denying he's been poor - and tbh I think Ally has realised this hence not starting with him in the OF match. The Falkirk match was about having a strong team out there, not our strongest team - but the attitude of the majority of the players was just ridiculous. Very few came out with any credit at all.

As for McCulloch - I'd be happy if he doesn't play again - but he's a pretty high earner and it's rare to have high earners on the bench.

To answer the OP - I'd say coincidence. We'd be in the CL if Jelavic hadn't missed a sitter in Malmo, if our defence had closed down the striker (Larsson?) for their winner. But that's football - and blaming one player for a team's failure is trying to find reason in annoyance.

Agree Danny wasn't that long ago we were blaming Edu for the worlds troubles.

That's correct and initially when he was out injured we really missed him.

Perhaps he isn't fully fit or perhaps he has lost a yard of pace and is past it. Hopefully it's the former.

For the first part of last season Jig was our best midfielder, no matter how anyone else tries to paint it. When he got injured there is no doubt we missed him, as you say.

Sadly regarding your last statement I fear it is the latter rather than the former. He has lost more than a yard of pace, and for a player that was never gifted with pace in the first instance it is all too noticeable. He looks stationary. I think the big man's better days are behind him and, right now, he shouldnt be playing for us - a sad reality, but reality nonetheless.

Agree Danny wasn't that long ago we were blaming Edu for the worlds troubles.

As much as I don't rate Edu or indeed Whittaker these days - it's a team game and making one player a scapegoat isn't fair. I mean, if that was the kind of mentality I had I'd blame Alexander for the winner last night - he made a mistake and was at fault. But then that seems to admonish everyone else of responsibility for what was an overall dire display. He was merely one of many players who had a poor night. Just like McGregor actually had a poor OF but that's not been noticed by anyone. I don't recall him making a single decent save.

It's a cliche, but it's a team game. You win and lose as a team. Individuals will make mistakes but those adopting the philosophy of a team game won't blame bad results on one player.