Continuously giving the opposing team the ball and then trying to get it off them is not a tactic out the Barcelona school of football. But i get the joke Ally was making, However recently i have seen a marked improvement in our ball retention and passing and movement. Wylde's goal last night and one from Saturday was passed from our own half virtually into the goal, that and our new found confidence attacking the opposition is very pleasing to see, long may it continue.

There are very few teams who could use the Barcelona school of football.

When they drew 0-0 at Ibrox with us.... you dont think that they may have had better success had they allowed us more of the ball to come forward ? I do as it opens space.

Advocaat worked it very well against us in the Europa final. They couldnt break us down when they had all the possession so they allowed us more possession, pulling us forward - which then provided them more space when our attacks broke down.

It can be a very effective tactic.

We've actually been doing the 'surrender territory/possession' thing for a few years now. I'm actually surprised that so few people seem to have picked up or commented on this.

Walter started it early into his second spell. My theory about the birth of this tactic is that Walter realised he didn't have the same quality of offensive player he had in his first term so realised we had to be cleverer than we were in the days when we'd simply batter teams and eventually wear them down. Remember all those games we won 1:0 with late goals after dominating for the whole game against packed defenses? Well this team isn't (or hasn't been over the last couple of years) talented/creative enough to do that so we need to find another way.

As a side-note, it drives me daft sitting beside numpties getting all steamed up about Killie/Motherwell/Dunfermline/St Mirren etc. having significant possession of the ball at Ibrox knowing that the team are actually trying to suck them forward to break in behind them.

Dunfermline at East End Park was the perfect example of that. Both of Naismith's goals were scored on the counter. Broke up Dunfermline's possession, broke at pace, result=goal.

We become far too obsessed with statistics and having most possession somehow means you are the better team and will win. Inter pumped Barca the season before last in the semis of the CL with 36% possession - they won the game 3-1. They sucked Barca in by allowing them possession, broke up lay and hit them on the counter.

And any of our so called punditry experts who give it the "Rangers are being outplayed by XXXXX, just look at the possession" obviously dont understand that having a lesser amount of possession is sometimes (yes, sometimes, not always) a deliberate tactic.

When did hitting a team on the break become give them the ball because we can't unlock a tight defence then let them try and score then hit them on the break, the other team is always going to get the ball you will always get a chance to hit them on the break without giving them the ball. Need to remember the next time we start slow as hell and can't pick a pass go a stupid early goal down it's all part of the plan to lull them into a false sense of security before we storm into the space left behind by their goal ward onslaught. Must have missed the memo that week

When did hitting a team on the break become give them the ball because we can't unlock a tight defence then let them try and score then hit them on the break, the other team is always going to get the ball you will always get a chance to hit them on the break without giving them the ball. Need to remember the next time we start slow as hell and can't pick a pass go a stupid early goal down it's all part of the plan to lull them into a false sense of security before we storm into the space left behind by their goal ward onslaught. Must have missed the memo that week

What a pathetically facetious misreading of what is being said here. Nobody is suggesting Rangers deliberately pass to the opposition or want to give them chances. The ploy is to let them come upfield and only press for possession when they enter our half. That way we get to attack four or five defenders instead of ten. If you don't realise we have been consistently doing that against the lower rated SPL teams for most of the last two to three years then I suggest you start watching the pitch during games. It might help with your interpretation of the play. Hey look, I can do it too!

I've read some garbish in my time but you carry on put my mind at rest for the next time we are struggling in a game to get a goal and suddenly go off the boil and are defending for our lives it's all part of the plan. You need a team that break at pace to play that type of football and we haven't won 3iar by being that team we played hard to beat grind out the result football.

You should have came out with this when Walter was here and playing 4 5 1 at sheepy land. Why can't we just accept that for a long time we have been playing some crap football instead of trying to justify it with a plan.

We let teams come on to us because we can't control a game for 90 mins, now if you said barca were struggling to score the other night and dropped off ten yards I might think you were talking sense.

Edited by GovanAllan

I've read some garbish in my time but you carry on put my mind at rest for the next time we are struggling in a game to get a goal and suddenly go off the boil and are defending for our lives it's all part of the plan. You need a team that break at pace to play that type of football and we haven't won 3iar by being that team we played hard to beat grind out the result football.

You should have came out with this when Walter was here and playing 4 5 1 at sheepy land. Why can't we just accept that for a long time we have been playing some crap football instead of trying to justify it with a plan.

We let teams come on to us because we can't control a game for 90 mins, now if you said barca were struggling to score the other night and dropped off ten yards I might think you were talking sense.

Ah well, McCoist himself stated that we started playing that way against Killie but changed it in the second half. Never mind, clearly you are correct and he was telling porkies eh? On the other hand, you could of course be talking crap.

Allowing your oppposition possession is far, far different from giving them the ball.

Are we conveniently ignoring that Avocaat deployed EXACTLY this tactic in the Europa final to great effect ? He admitted himself after the game that Zenit couldnt break us down so they deliberately allowed us greater possession, pulling us forward so that when they broke the play down there was much more space than when they were constantly pressing.

Anyone that refuses to see that allowing a team possession to pull them forward, creating space in behind just has me shaking my head. Just logically, no tea, will get possession and just lump the ball forwards to give possession away for 90 minutes. If in possession you will play the ball forward but at least a couple of players would be expected to get up in support.

If you look at it in terms of formations.

Say we use a 5-4-1. When not in possession we have AT LEAST 10 men behind the ball (including the keeper). When in possession you would absolutely expect that at least 1 or 2 players try to get ahead of the ball. So when in possession you still have 5 defenders defending (though probably not as deep as when not in possession) and possibly a couple of holding midfielders. So, including the keeper, 8 players.

That is still a lot of players... but it is fewer than the 10 when not in possession.

For me it actually makes perfect sense. Allow a team possession, allow them to believe that they are playing well and allow them to advance up the pitch (although not to where they can cause a great deal of danger). Break their play down, counter quickly and you have more space.

Makes perfect sense to me. Or maybe I am just wrong and dont understand football.....

Makes perfect sense to me. Or maybe I am just wrong and dont understand football.....

Makes a lot of sense. We did it to Lyon to perfection then the sneaky buggers came to Ibrox and did it back to us. I seen that one coming a mile off, but unfortunately Walter and the team either didn't expect it or just didn't deal with it.