Rangers withdraw co-operation with the BBC

Obviously, such a "cash" problem may see us ending up in administration, but, just out of interest, would this actually help us with the HMRC case? What would be the worth of going into administration if we come out of it and face HMRC again?

On a sidenote, why does it take so long to clear the first HMRC case and deal with Bain and McIntyre?

Don't know if it would make any difference or not. I would imagine it would be up to the Administrator whether to continue with the appeal or not, there are others on here with a far superior knowledge of the relevant law than me but I think if we find ourselves in administration before the big tax case is concluded it would make sense for the Administrator to withdraw the appeal and accept the bill and get it included in the administration, but whether he could legally do that I simply don't know, but as you allude to it seems pointless to go into administration and come out of it again to face the HMRC all over again.

To your second point I suppose because "the wheels of Justice turn slowly", I'm not sure quite what you mean by "deal with Bain and McIntyre" but I don't think their respective cases are progressing unduly slowly.

Can anyone tell me why every news report especially the BBC have us losing the tax case without actually telling us why we will lose it. I've heard experts in tax law who can't decide if we will lose. It just seems to be a given in the Scottish media.

Can anyone tell me why every news report especially the BBC have us losing the tax case without actually telling us why we will lose it. I've heard experts in tax law who can't decide if we will lose. It just seems to be a given in the Scottish media.

They might be deliberately manipulating public opinion which could potentially affect the outcome of the case. Since both the BBC and HMRC work for the government, it's not stretching the imagination too much to suggest that they might be on the same page.

They might be deliberately manipulating public opinion which could potentially affect the outcome of the case. Since both the BBC and HMRC work for the government, it's not stretching the imagination too much to suggest that they might be on the same page.

Now that would prove that the BBC has an agenda against us and deserve everything they get.

I dont buy this line of thinking.

The tax courts are obligated to follow tax law. Public opinion should have abslutely ZERO relevance to the outcome of the case. I dislike the tax man as much as the next guy but I have still not seen a case hit the courts which wasnt resolved based on tax and case law.

They are duty bound to follow the Finance Act.

HMRC can use the BBC as much as they like to spin this as being a lost case for RFC but if they are basing their case on the BBC swaying public opinion then they are, in my opinion, fucked. They need to PROVE the case to the tax tribunal and, quite possibly, court of appeal and possibly even the Supreme Court.

To be honest, if they manage to maniultae public opinion that we will lose the case.... but we win it, then job done.

I dont buy this line of thinking.

The tax courts are obligated to follow tax law. Public opinion should have abslutely ZERO relevance to the outcome of the case. I dislike the tax man as much as the next guy but I have still not seen a case hit the courts which wasnt resolved based on tax and case law.

They are duty bound to follow the Finance Act.

HMRC can use the BBC as much as they like to spin this as being a lost case for RFC but if they are basing their case on the BBC swaying public opinion then they are, in my opinion, fucked. They need to PROVE the case to the tax tribunal and, quite possibly, court of appeal and possibly even the Supreme Court.

To be honest, if they manage to maniultae public opinion that we will lose the case.... but we win it, then job done.

When tax laws operate in shades of grey (which I'm sure you've said many times previously) and the final decisions on our case are made by certain people who can essentially swing it either way, then I think it's entirely possible that influential media could play a part. I'm not saying we're being stitched up, but you never know these days. We've been stitched up on other matters in recent years.

When tax laws operate in shades of grey (which I'm sure you've said many times previously) and the final decisions on our case are made by certain people who can essentially swing it either way, then I think it's entirely possible that influential media could play a part. I'm not saying we're being stitched up, but you never know these days. We've been stitched up on other matters in recent years.

Regardless of shades of grey, it wont be public opinion which resolves this case. I have very little doubt about that.