I was impressed by Lee Wallace's performance on the left wing in the game v Motherwell.

As an 'oldie' I just loved watching guy's like 'Bud' Johnston tearing down the left wing and sending over beautiful crosses to awaiting forwards, Coop used to turn defenders inside and out before delivering the telling cross.

I'm wondering what other 'Gersnet' fans think?

Wallace or Wylde?

Wallace DID play exceptionally well last weekend BUT, as I've observed on other threads, essentially he was signed to put pressure on Papac to sign the one year deal and/or as an eventual replacement for him, so even although he maybe isn't as good an alround player, I would give Wylde a run and certainly would start him v Arbroath. Otherwise how is he ever going to develop, certainly not with an occasional game on the right.

He'll just get scunnered and go to an English Championship (or lower) club.

I too watched Davy Wilson and Willie Johnston; (who only ever turned it on about one game in four BUT) he was magic in the run to Barcelona '72.

AND I once refereed a reserve game at Ibrox when he played towards the end of his career in the late 70's, Tam Forsyth also played in that game.

'Bud's last game for Rangers was v Dundee at Ibrox December '81, Tam's was 5 weeks before v St Mirren also at Ibrox.

I know Johnston wasn't always on top form in every game and indeed could be very frustrating to watch at times, but for me the guy was worth the entrance fee alone when on song, and that was more often than not. Brilliant entertainer, fantastic servant who was hounded by those who hated him.

As for Wilson....am no tha' auld. :P

I was impressed by Lee Wallace's performance on the left wing in the game v Motherwell.

As an 'oldie' I just loved watching guy's like 'Bud' Johnston tearing down the left wing and sending over beautiful crosses to awaiting forwards, Coop used to turn defenders inside and out before delivering the telling cross.

I'm wondering what other 'Gersnet' fans think?

Wallace or Wylde?

'Bud' Johnston! You must be nearly my age! Actually I remember he used to play more as a second striker for us, with people like Orjan Persson on the actual left wing. But his type is what is so often lacking these days. Wallace or wylde? Horses for courses I say. Wylde is a winger to trade, while Wallace is a LB. Wylde is young, wingers are inconsistent, even the great 'moody blue' whom you also mention.

I can't get too excited by Wallace's (or anyone else's) performance against Motherwell. They were rank rotten, sat back and put no pressure on us. he won't have the same time or space in 90% of our other games.

Would have Wallace at left back and Wylde at left midfield

Papac looks far safer at left back than Wallace.

I can't get too excited by Wallace's (or anyone else's) performance against Motherwell. They were rank rotten, sat back and put no pressure on us. he won't have the same time or space in 90% of our other games.

Papac looks far safer at left back than Wallace.

I don't think so mate. Papac is reliable enough but for me gets caught out of position too much and doesn't close down crosses.

I don't think so mate. Papac is reliable enough but for me gets caught out of position too much and doesn't close down crosses.

I'd say that wallace was even worse at getting caught out of position. Opinions, eh? :)

I like the Papac/Wallace combination, Wallace's crosses are better and he works harder defensive wise IMO. I'd rather have Papac at the back much more reliable. Wylde will still hopefully get some game time and that might help him and us as he now has a rival for his position so should work harder in training and during games.