Enough Is Enough

Once we've come through this and reached stability again, will be the time to judge Ally on his ability as a manager

I disagree!!! Now is the perfect time to judge ANY manager. Some managers are excellent, only when they have funds available to them, others excellent in ANY conditions...

I disagree!!! Now is the perfect time to judge ANY manager. Some managers are excellent, only when they have funds available to them, others excellent in ANY conditions...

Exactly. It's when the tide is against you and you pull through no matter what, that makes a great, in fact not even a great manager just one that's good at his job

What SPL side have got a worse forward line than ours at the moment? Healy/Kerkar/Little would struggle to get in anyone else's team.

Then we should have brought someone in - Sandaza? From what you're saying we could have brought in similar players to the rest of the SPL with the same fees and wages than them and still had a better side.

Whyte said McCoist could have had Sandaza if he wanted him...

I'm not sure who is to blame here but someone got it wrong when we didn't sign a replacement for Jelavic when Naismith and Lafferty are injured, Healy is mince and Fleck is loaned out...

The thing is we're currently playing no better than Hearts, ICT, Aberdeen and St Johnstone; however, at the beginning of the season our results were in competition for the best SPL team for the last 12 years.

That shows Ally can do something with a half decent squad but remove his three best attacking options plus two first choice right-backs, drop the form of his midfielders and send any potential replacements out on loan and it's not hard to see why we're struggling. You may argue he should be able to motivate what he has left but surely that is also incredibly difficult with what is happening behind the scenes and sensationally playing out in the media.

We are in a right mess which is not of McCoist's doing but the question is - should he realistically be able to cope with such difficult circumstances? That's the crux of it for me and why I'm still ambivalent. If the answer is yes then he's not up to the job, if the answer is no then he should be given more time and given dispensation till this crisis is over.

The only good points I can see at the moment is that we still have a slim chance of nicking the league and we're not yet in danger of finishing third. However, that's not a very strong mantle to hang your hopes and dreams on.

The oft asked resultant question is, if Ally's not able to cope with these most difficult of circumstances, do we really know who is?

Exactly. It's when the tide is against you and you pull through no matter what, that makes a great, in fact not even a great manager just one that's good at his job

No sane person would come near Rangers in our present situation.

Do you suggest McCoist walks away and leaves Durrant/McDowall in charge ?

No sane person would come near Rangers in our present situation.

Do you suggest McCoist walks away and leaves Durrant/McDowall in charge ?

I am not one for advocating sacking the manager, but if McCoist goes, Durrant & McDowell should follow.

I feel that a fresh & experienced approach is required. Even bringing in another experienced 1st team coach to work along side the current team, who has some fresh idea with regard to training & tactics would be of benefit!!!

What SPL side have got a worse forward line than ours at the moment? Healy/Kerkar/Little would struggle to get in anyone else's team.

Maybe true, but we got in this mess with Jelavic in the team and he was a 5mill+ player. To me the whole thing pivoted when McCoist started mucking around changing his winning team. He brought back McCulloch,dropped Wylde and started playing a team of centre halfs when Naismith got injured. We went from a team with movement to a team of stand still stoogies. We also went into the high ball up to Jelavic mode and just kept giving the other team the ball. Is that still his tactic to let the other team have the ball as he stated? If it is it is not working and the tactic of a frightened man.

Maybe true, but we got in this mess with Jelavic in the team and he was a 5mill+ player. To me the whole thing pivoted when McCoist started mucking around changing his winning team. He brought back McCulloch,dropped Wylde and started playing a team of centre halfs when Naismith got injured. We went from a team with movement to a team of stand still stoogies. We also went into the high ball up to Jelavic mode and just kept giving the other team the ball. Is that still his tactic to let the other team have the ball as he stated? If it is it is not working and the tactic of a frightened man.

This may be the topic of a separate thread.... but I know this particular item was discussed a lot when McCoist originally said it and many people suggested it was nonsense. I was one of the ones that defended what he said as I felt there could be tactical reasons for doing so.

Anyway..... I was at a coaches session last night (yes, for my sins, I coach kids football and am hoping to end up with the UEFA B licence) which was run by two coaches from Valencia - and this very subject came up during their presentation. Even within the Spanish game they recognise that certain teams (Madrid, Valencia) will actually not even bother to win back possession unless the ball is in their own half as they prefer to counter-attack at speed. The guy also recognised that Barca effectively pioneered the idea of winning possession back deep into the opponent's half.

It very much depends on the type of player you have - Barca have players who can unlock tight defences so can afford to attack the ball deep in the opponents half whilst other teams dont have that type of player.

All of which said..... I agree, our tactics simply are not working. I am by no means a professional coach but if my miniscule mind can tell that a long floated high ball to David Healy will produce ZERO result then surely someone such as McCoist who has played the game at the highest level and has all his coaching badges can see it. I could see the point if the Utd CB's were heading it down and we were picking up the loose ball.... but we werent. Stupid tactics and they are the fault of the manager - even if the team have been told not to do that but continue to do so... all it takes is a word in the ear of the nearest player to get them to change the tactic.

This may be the topic of a separate thread.... but I know this particular item was discussed a lot when McCoist originally said it and many people suggested it was nonsense. I was one of the ones that defended what he said as I felt there could be tactical reasons for doing so.

Anyway..... I was at a coaches session last night (yes, for my sins, I coach kids football and am hoping to end up with the UEFA B licence) which was run by two coaches from Valencia - and this very subject came up during their presentation. Even within the Spanish game they recognise that certain teams (Madrid, Valencia) will actually not even bother to win back possession unless the ball is in their own half as they prefer to counter-attack at speed. The guy also recognised that Barca effectively pioneered the idea of winning possession back deep into the opponent's half.

It very much depends on the type of player you have - Barca have players who can unlock tight defences so can afford to attack the ball deep in the opponents half whilst other teams dont have that type of player.

All of which said..... I agree, our tactics simply are not working. I am by no means a professional coach but if my miniscule mind can tell that a long floated high ball to David Healy will produce ZERO result then surely someone such as McCoist who has played the game at the highest level and has all his coaching badges can see it. I could see the point if the Utd CB's were heading it down and we were picking up the loose ball.... but we werent. Stupid tactics and they are the fault of the manager - even if the team have been told not to do that but continue to do so... all it takes is a word in the ear of the nearest player to get them to change the tactic.

I totally agree that you can decide to defend only from the half-way line but it seemed to come across to me we were deliberately giving them the ball which is absurd of course. Maybe It is misinterpretation. The fact that we can't put 3 passes together,lack pace, and every second touch is a tackle means to me that we are not as fit as we should be or doing the wrong things in training.

but it seemed to come across to me we were deliberately giving them the ball which is absurd of course. Maybe It is misinterpretation.

Seems like you may have pilloried McCoist for giving us all the respect for having enough savy to understand what he meant. Maybe you like a more patronising manager... :fish: