Thoughts on Mervan Celik?

Is it just me or did this lad not even look fully fit today? He seemed to have absolutely no pace, so either he's not fit or he's almost as slow as Jig. Either way it's not good. If he isn't fit, then he shouldn't have been playing.

wasn't overly impressed with what I saw today....then again that ain't saying much!!!

At the moment, I would still put it down to adjusting to the game. Thought he got caught in possession a lot and appeared a little bewildered at times. Hopefully that will sort itself with game time!!!

Felt for him clearly suffering because he hasn't played in months, also probably could do with losing a pound or two from the youtube videos he looked slimmer. Thrown into the deep end and expected to perform and not in his proper position either.

metlika, if he isn't fit because he hasn't been playing for a while then Ally shouldn't have started him. They should have been able to tell from watching him in training if he was fit or not. Another one not playing in his correct position, why does that not surprise me? What is he a left winger or inside left?

metlika, if he isn't fit because he hasn't been playing for a while then Ally shouldn't have started him. They should have been able to tell from watching him in training if he was fit or not. Another one not playing in his correct position, why does that not surprise me? What is he a left winger or inside left?

I would say he prefers the left even if he is a right footer because he likes to cut inside. You have to wonder what goes on? Bedoya and McKay (I know) should be match sharp as I would say Celik might have started training again after Christmas, but he wasn't with a club either.

... on a sidenote, Bedoya played for the US of A on the right hand side during the Gold Cup, and was hailed by one of his colleagues as a right-sided all-round worker. He was not even on the bench, but we had Kerkar, Wylde, Wallace, Papac, Aluko, and Celik there, all essentially left-sided players.

All that said, these players performed on quite a different level during these last 14 days. And I will not start questioning Ally time and again after every dropped point. We are neck deep in trouble. We know it. We knew it. There will not be a great deal of improvement during the rest of the season unless the players get their act together. They are good enough, now they have to show it. Most of those we have are through it all already.

But now it is also the time where we have to show our loyalty and support them through this thick times. We always proclaim that "we welcome the chase" and want to be more than just another football supporter. Now it is also the time to stop the lamenting and show the dignity that befits our institution.

I felt sorry for him today, being flung in at the deep end so to speak, but United weren't giving anyone time to settle on the ball.

And there is the accusation of predictability about our play which has to be addressed.

As has been said, hasn't played for months, but I'm sure Ally would have been under pressure to play him, given present circumstances.

Asking a new player to play out of position doesn't exactly help either.

I know this is like an old record but time we we decided on Papac or Wallace at LB and let one of our left footed MF's (Aluko, Celik, McKay, Wylde) play wide left.

As has been said, hasn't played for months, but I'm sure Ally would have been under pressure to play him, given present circumstances.

Ally picks the team and if Celik wasn't fit, he should have been on the bench at the very most, but really shouldn't have been in the match day squad at all.

Asking a new player to play out of position doesn't exactly help either.

It's hard to tell if the lad could do a job for us on the right when he's both new to the squad and more importantly, not fit.

I know this is like an old record but time we we decided on Papac or Wallace at LB and let one of our left footed MF's (Aluko, Celik, McKay, Wylde) play wide left.

Well Wallace is the only one of the two how can fill in at left midfield if we end up short of options for the left, so why Papac is being played at left mid is baffling to put it politely. Even taking into account that Celik doesn't look fit and McKay is apparently frozen out, we still have Aluko and Wylde who can both play on the left wing, so why we're playing those two left backs at the same time is very very questionable.