HMRC moves to put Rangers into administration

One for Bluedell.

Can HMRC if they win the big tax case hold off from issuing the actual bill till a time that suits them ergo waiting till we exit administration and then starting the process all over again ?

Given it is going through the courts I suspect that they would have to issue it on judgement. If they lose the case though.... and they appeal.... then there is a chance we are out of admin prior to the appeal being finalised.

But if they win, this may be what Whyte was getting at by not appealing the decision, it creates certainty around the timing of the HMRC bill, which allows him to plan for the timing of administration. Is he that smart ? Lets hope so.

Given it is going through the courts I suspect that they would have to issue it on judgement. If they lose the case though.... and they appeal.... then there is a chance we are out of admin prior to the appeal being finalised.

But if they win, this may be what Whyte was getting at by not appealing the decision, it creates certainty around the timing of the HMRC bill, which allows him to plan for the timing of administration. Is he that smart ? Lets hope so.

There is no legal requirement for HMRC to issue the bill immediately it crystallises though is there?

They can wait till we exit administration (if in fact we do) then go back to court again can they not?

One for Bluedell.

Can HMRC if they win the big tax case hold off from issuing the actual bill till a time that suits them ergo waiting till we exit administration and then starting the process all over again ?

Is it not the case that HMRC have issued the tax bill and we are challenging it in court. When the ruling comes from an independent panel of three judges and that ruling is not in our favour the monies would be due immediately. Therefore, HMRC have no control over when the verdict is released.

There is no legal requirement for HMRC to issue the bill immediately it crystallises though is there?

They can wait till we exit administration (if in fact we do) then go back to court again can they not?

I would think that the liability would emerge once the case is decided. I don't think that they could deliberately wait until we came out. I can't say with any degree of certainty though as it's not an area that I've ever been involved in.