Which of our players are just not good enough?

Ok, it's agreed, the team isn't good enough - but paradoxically most of the players are getting reasonable write ups at least every few games, they're mostly internationals or have played for big clubs and won stuff, so the question is, which ones are really not good enough?

Letizi - He's played for years with PSG and so been around but he's not inspired much confidence, however he doesn't seem to have been too much at fault for most of the goals and he's not responsible for the inability to create chances and score against mediocre opposition. I think the main accusation is you could aim at him is that he doesn't save us in games. He doesn't pull of the top notch saves like Goram and Klos that keep the clean sheet that allows us to grind out that 1-0 win which is necessary to win titles. I personally don't think he's good enough and certainly worse than our other options.

MacGregor - We'd all like to see him play in the first team but he's not quite proven himself yet. Can he step into Goram and Klos's shoes? Time will tell but he seems like one baby we shouldn't throw out with the bath water. We've no money and so could do worse than putting him in goal instead of Letizi.

Klos - No-one can accuse Der Goalie of not being good enough. No-one. The guy is a class player and has proven himself time and again with Rangers. His last run in the team coincided with us losing about 7 goals in half a season. We don't know the true story here but the fact we're pay a guy who has saved us tons of points about 30 grand a week to do nothing, is to me, highly symptomatic of what is wrong at the club.

Hutton - Showed early promise, it's rumoured he has a bad attitude and has not been the same since his injury. He's played better of late receiving a bit of praise, but his passing and crossing still leave a bit to be desired. Not the worst offender in the team but he is part of a defence that is leaking soft goals and doesn't seem to be the one who's getting the tackles in or shutting down the attacks from the right. In fact Novo had to cover for him in the against Motherwell. He's SPL standard but not quite Rangers standard except maybe as back up in a better first choice team.

Bardsley - another one with an attitude problem and with his commitment only short term, I can understand why patience for him would be short lived. To me he doesn't seem to be any better than Hutton appart from the odd free kick. We really need a proper right back.

Papac - An international who seems pretty solid and our defence has improved since his arrival. Quite willing to go forward too but maybe that's why we can get caught on the break. Still not cured our problem of dealing with cross balls. An improvement over other central defenders we've had recently but shows no signs of being a McLiesh, Butcher, Gough or even a Moore.

Svensson - A young international who's had a terrible start to his Rangers career, although his freefalling reputation has been arrested by a good display in Italy. It's either get rid time for him or develop him for the future.

Rodriguez - An experienced player who to me flatters to deceive. Seems to look solid in some games but we're losing goals almost every game and I can't remember many clean sheets this season. To me he's a mediocre player who could do a good job for the likes of Aberdeen, but not up to the job at Rangers.

Smith - A young player who looks to have genuine talent, he's our best defender by far but I think would look even better in a decent team. Thrives on a good relationship and understanding with a talented left midfielder and looked better with Martin in the team. Seems to be one of the players committing to the game plan. Definitely a keeper.

Burke - Brilliantly talented but so fragile that we only see him for glimpses. It's always so much more exciting when he gets a lot of the ball and he's also good at tracking back and helping out the defence. I think we'd have less problems if he was fully fit most of the time.

Sionko - Looked like a young Kanchelskis in his first couple of games but from then looked like a Kanchelkis close to retirement. He's now injured and it's hard to tell if he's the real deal or not. One thing is for sure, he hasn't contributed to the cause at all this season.

Hemdani - Gets loads of plaudits without to me seeming to do much. If he's doing so well, why are we not dominating the midfield against the likes of Hibs and Aberdeen? To me he's maybe a squad player but no more. His plaudits are more to do with how badly the rest of team are playing rather than how good he is. We need a genuine ball winner in midfield more on the lines of Keane, or Stuart McCall.

Clement - Looks to have great potential without setting the heather alight, while he's injured the jury is out.

Ferguson - Supposed to be back to his best and has definitely stamped his presence on a few games. But why are we still not dominating the midfield and why isn't he scoring goals every other week like he used to? A good player to have but I think we all lie awake at night thinking about who we could have bought for 5 million quid in these cash strapped days.

Rae - a reasonable player who would do well for another SPL team but doesn't seem to be getting a shout at Rangers although we seem to be crying out for a no nonsense midfielder. Not sure if he's really good enough and PLG doesn't seem to rate him but I'd like him to get more of a chance till the other players show they are worth a pick.

Adam - seems to have loads of potential and has a habit of popping up and doing some great now and again but he seems a bit light weight for a first choce and would be better as a backup to a more experienced player.

Martin - shows great skill and pace - very promising youngster but he's greedy and too often we have nothing to show for his darting runs and displays of ball control. He'll grow better with age but seems a poorer, less effective version of Burke who doesn’t defend at all and seems very light weight. He’s not even a left footer. I can’t see him becoming a permanent transfer and so maybe he should be replaced by a proper left midfielder.

Prso – a great guy and player but really looks to be on his last legs. Has the odd great game but too often looks slow, tired and lacking in touch. Hustles and bustles but struggles to get the ball into the net and should really have more assists. To me he should become a super sub and come on when the opposing defence is tiring to give them some hassle.

Boyd – Does what it says on the tin – scores goals but not much else. He’s improving his all round play but it’ll take a season to make it natural for him. He’s the leagues top scorer and we’ve won more games with him in the team. Definitely should be first on the team sheet despite his faults but needs someone big to partner him upfront.

Novo – was complete pants for a year but seems to look really lively now and rediscovered his confidence and as a result his form. Our best player against Motherwell but didn’t get enough service and seems a bit out of position. If he keeps up his form he’s definitely worth a shout at least as a sub. However he’s not the kind of player I’d like to see long term at the club, I’m hoping for a bit more quality.

Sebo – doesn’t do what it says on the tin and really hasn’t fitted into the team at all. Looks like he works hard but provides little except one goal and a couple of unawarded penalty claims. Looked good for Vienna so don’t know why he’s turned so bad overnight. PLG seems to think that if he keeps playing him he’ll come good but he’s part of the reason we’ve dropped points when we couldn’t afford to. Maybe he needs to get up to speed in the reserves.

Buffel – a complete enigma. Obviously has shed-loads of talent but can’t finish to save himself and fades out of games far too often. A luxury we can’t afford and definitely one of the players who is just not doing it for us.

My conclusions:

Out:

Letizi, Rodriguez, Bardsley, Rae, Sebo and Buffel are the ones who should be shipped out. Klos will be going anyway.

Squad players

Hutton, Svensson, Hemdani, Sionko, Adam, Prso and Novo should be used sparingly as back up, with the youngers ones being developed.

Martin could perhaps be kept as a backup winger to pad out the squad for a season.

First team

MacGregor deserves a proper chance in goal.

Papac, Smith, Ferguson, Burke, Clement and Boyd are the only others I would keep in first team.

In

A big, experienced centre back who can dominate the area, especially in the air and organise the defence, perhaps even be captain.

A mobile right back who can defend well, cut out attacks down the right and break out quickly and deliver telling crosses or passes down the line.

An experienced, strong left midfielder who can beat his man, interact with smith, deliver crosses and track back and cut out the left hand channels.

A tall, strong, experienced centre forward, target man, who wins everything in the air, holds up the ball and lays it off to Boyd or a midfielder or turn and beat his man. He should be adept at flick-ons and knock backs, and knows his way to goal and can finish with aplomb.

A creative midfielder/forward who plays in the middle and can link play between the midfield and attack while also strong enough to be the first one to counteract a break. He needs to have a killer pass which creates goals and be able to shoot and score from 20-25 yards as well as nip in to support the strikers for the odd tap in.

When did you start typing that up Calscot, Thursday?

Out of the players we have used this season I think the players below just aren't good enough. Either that or someone needs to give them a toe to the Dennis Laws.

Hutton

Bardsley

Svensson

Sionko

Prso

Adam

J-Rod

Boyd

Buffel (depending on how he feels on matchday morning).

I'd give pass marks to:

Smith

Papac

McGregor

Burke

Clement

Hemdani

Ferguson

Novo

Martin (just).

I can't decide on Sebo, I don't think he's getting a fair crack of the whip. I think PLG should give him a few games so he can get a bit of rythym to his game.

Gavin Rae hasn't been given many games at all and I'm glad, I just don't think he's good enough to play week in week out.

When did you start typing that up Calscot, Thursday?

Out of the players we have used this season I think the players below just aren't good enough. Either that or someone needs to give them a toe to the Dennis Laws.

Hutton

Bardsley

Svensson

Sionko

Prso

Adam

J-Rod

Boyd

Buffel (depending on how he feels on matchday morning).

I'd give pass marks to:

Smith

Papac

McGregor

Burke

Clement

Hemdani

Ferguson

Novo

Martin (just).

I can't decide on Sebo, I don't think he's getting a fair crack of the whip. I think PLG should give him a few games so he can get a bit of rythym to his game.

Gavin Rae hasn't been given many games at all and I'm glad, I just don't think he's good enough to play week in week out.

I would mostly agree with your choice of players.

BTW that is some amount of posts you have:ffs:

Great post for the most part calscot... :thup:

Think you should be a bit more patient with Sebo but other than that found myself nodding generally. Unfortunately, unless our chairman invests serious money into the team, we just don't have the cash for the major surgery we require.

Yeah good post Calscot and id agre with maybe 85% of your post.

Keepers: Agree here, why we pay a world class keeper 30k a week to play reserve team football is just pure baffling. Its no coincedence our defence has let in goals since Jan 05 when he got injured. It looks like he is away sooner rather than later and im dissapointed. Letizi just doesnt look like a keeper but as you say hes been around in France. Id still rather we get a Niemi type keeper in.

Defenders: Again agree with you fully here, but to be fair to Svensson i think he is a good defender who hasnt adapted to the SPL yet. He is more suited to european style play.

Jrod baffles me as he came good last season but seems to have went 2 steps back.

Agree with Hutton (back up for a new RB).

Midfield: Slightly unfair IMO on Hemdani, i think he is strolling games but we arent bossing midfield games simply coz we are always a man short against the opposition in that department and as u say we dont have a Stuart McCall.

Sionko looked a steal early on but then had a few quiet games, but im hoping he gets back to fitness soon.

Your spot on with Burke and Clement, and agree mostly with the likes of Rae Adam etc.

Captain Ferguson - 3 good games doenst make everything rosey in the garden for me with him. If he has another 7 good games before Xmas il start to think he is better and he will have to chip in with some goals.

Strikers: Again see what your saying, but Boyd IMO should also be having a few reserve run outs to develop into the complete striker.

Sebo - Needs a first team run out with a Novo or a Buffel type partner.

Novo - Hopefully getting back to his best.

Buffel - Our most talented player but i think he has a twin who turns up for him half the time.

Prso - Has been superb but as you say, now should be a super sub.

We need to get a few really strong, no-nonsense players in, particularly in defence and midfield. Get the spine of the team right first, so that's a decent, solid keeper, centre back & midfielder along with someone to lead the line. I don't ask for much, do I?

As has been said by lots of people, its strange to see a PLG side with so many players not signed by him in it. I guess that's just down to money, but many of them just don't seem to be good enough. But how are players supposed to flourish under him when the starting XI is change around a lot and he plays a formation which is alien to most of them?

To be honest though, with the money situation, there's no quick fix here unless we got a large cash injection or somehow got entry in to the English league. Hell, even if we played in the Championship we'd be able to attract and afford a better quality of player than we can at the moment.

Looking at the squad on paper, I think we have a good basis to work on. But I thought that last season too. While I wouldn't necessarily take any of Celtic's players over ours for example, we have to face facts and that is that the Celtic team are outplaying us week in week out with players who I wouldn't say are of the same individual quality or potential as ours.

Keepers

As for individuals at the moment, why not play Klos? At least make him earn his money, otherwise, what's the point? Might as well get something out of him while we still can, he's clearly the best keeper we have. Maybe he'll fall back in love with the club and can be persuaded to stay on reduced terms. A few more years of him as number 1 would be a huge step in the right direction if we can't afford to sign someone like Gordon or an established internationalist.

McGregor has shown that he might have what it takes to become our number 1 in the long term. But at the same time, why not play him now if he's good enough?

Letizi looks Ok as a keeper but nothing special. Since Klos has been injured our defence has looked shaky and fragile and has pretty much leaked goals, particularly from set plays. We need some consistency in this position and if I was PLG I'd be making it a priority to make his mind up and stick with it.

Defence

J-Rod - has never lived up to his reputation. Even when he's "getting better" that's just not good enough IMO. It shows just how low our expectations as Gers supporters have become when we accept a player like that will get better at some point and just wait for it to happen. Game after game, season after season.

Papac looks like the real deal, but as I said for most of last season, having one decent centre back in a shaky back 4 with a suspect keeper, is no good. I can't remember a time in supporting Rangers where I've been so nervous at set plays. And this has been going on since just before Klos was injured I think. I think his performances masked the problem a bit as he'd pull off wonderful saves and get us points each season, so even when he had car crash defenders in front of him, he would make up for their short-comings at times.

Svennson, Smith & Hutton - all young players who will come good. But maybe we should accept that without a Gough or Butcher alongside them, they're just not ready yet. Put them out on loan? Or sign a proper leader at centre back who can marshal them and talk them through games.

Midfield

Again, we have a few good, young players who we can't lose with, but like the full backs, maybe they're not quite ready to be first team players yet.

Ferguson I'm not convinced about yet. I know he often gets a hard time from people for no real reason, but he's not the player he was before he left for Blackburn. Whether that's his fitness or the role he's being asked to play, he's a shadow of his former self and another one who every time he has a couple of OK games (by his standard), everyone reckons he's the best thing since sliced bread again.

Hemdani looks like a good holding midfielder and has been one of our best players, but he doesn't have that edge to his game that you need to boss a midfield in the SPL. You need someone like McCall in there. He's another player who we've never properly replaced IMO.

Burke looks like he needs a good run in the team and to stay injury free for a bit so we can get the most out of him.

Forwards

Novo - great to see him back with confidence, but is he really a first XI starter for us? I don't think he's good enough, but at least he's a trier which is start. Again, I think its a sign of our desperation sometimes that a player like this comes back, plays quite well and suddenly he's our saviour.

Boyd - top scorer but needs to work on his overall game. But he's a young lad so lets not panic over him. I'll say it again though, he's our top scorer. So play him. That's one position in the XI we don't have to worry about.

Sebo - Needs more games. All players thrive on confidence, particularly strikers, but that's hard when chances are limited.

Prso - just needs to be used sparingly to get the most out of him.

The more I think about it, the more depressing it gets. As fans, our expectations and standards over the last few years have dropped significantly. Disregarding the money situation, look at the quality of players who left during/after the Advocaat era. Now look at the players who have replaced them. We've just come to accept a much lower quality of player at Ibrox, but also, we seem to be happy to give these players months and seasons to come good, when the fact is, maybe the never will? Giving some of these guys the benefit of the doubt seems to be getting us nowhere.

How many years have I been watching a Gers team who look clueless in the final third? Who have no bite in their midfield? Who have no idea how to carry out simple defensive duties? If I can see it, why can't DM and the coaching staff?

I'm not wanting us to boo the players or anything, we need to be united, but I'm just saying that we're just kidding ourselves and that really we need to tear down the whole playing side and start from scratch. Just write-off 2 or 3 seasons and start again. Let's face it, being patient with the same characters has got us nowhere and we seem incapable of getting close to Celtic yet again. Even when Hearts did everything possible to throw away second place last season, we couldn't catch them. We have no team spirit at all and even though we've been spoiled in living memory by our club's domestic achievements and some of the international players we've had, surely there's another way to achieve success? Other clubs in the SPL have been catching up with us for a few years now while we've been standing still and treading water. I'm afraid its now all coming home to roost and we're looking at a pretty miserable few years ahead at this rate unless something big happens to shake things up from the top of the club to the bottom.

Sorry, its turned in to another one of those rants I'm afraid!

Thought I'd bump this thread after today's shambolic performance as I think its even more relevant than ever. Our club needs serious investment in the playing staff NOW as its clear that some of the players we have are simply not good enough and we lack the sort of strong, domineering centre halves that you need in the SPL.