Rangers Docked 30 Points Next Season?

SPL chiefs are considering a move which could see Rangers docked 30 points at the start of NEXT season.

Top-flight chairmen met at Hampden yesterday to discuss measures to deal with the cash woes which have plagued SPL clubs this term.

SunSport understands that at least one chairman argued the current standard ten-point deduction for clubs going into administration isn't fair enough.

Instead it was suggested a formula should be used which would result in a penalty that better reflected the crime a club had committed by overspending.

That figure would be determined by taking a club's average points total over the previous three completed seasons and dividing it by three.

Crisis club Rangers have already been hit with a ten-point penalty this term.

But if the new ruling is rubber-stamped in time it would leave them with a mountain to climb if they are still being run by the bean counters next term.

They have won the SPL for the previous three seasons with totals of 93, 87 and 86 points â?? giving an average of just under 89 points.

Dividing that by a further three would give a penalty close to the 30-point mark.

That would leave them needing to win TEN games before they have reached zero points.

Another suggestion mentioned involved employing an accountancy firm to make sure the books of SPL club are in order.

SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster said: "Under current rules if Rangers are still in administration next season they will be docked ten points at the start of the season.

"But the rules could change in April or July.

"With regards to financial fair play we didn't talk about a specific club.

"These are just general rules we may adopt in the future.

"Our board will propose a number of changes.

"The level of sporting sanction when a club has an insolvency event is currently only ten points. Is that enough? You can also look at the situation in the Football League in England, where if a club is late paying its players then they have to report that to the league and it becomes potentially a disciplinary case.

"That's not the case here currently. The late payment of PAYE to HMRC is another potential avenue.

"Currently it's not a breach of the rules to fail to pay your players or to fail to pay the taxman any PAYE.

"We might be in a situation where that COULD become a breach of the rules.

"As soon as a club fails to pay its players or the taxman on time it might be a disciplinary case we can take forward.

"At the moment we have to wait for a complaint from a player or players.

"All these are the sorts of areas that could come under financial fair play.

"We looked at best practice elsewhere and had a good discussion about that with a view to putting proposals before the clubs next month."

A representative from Gers' administrators Duff and Phelps attended the meeting and insisted the club would not be liquidated.

But at the same time measures for such an outcome were also highlighted.

Doncaster added: "That was part of the discussions.

"There's no precedent north of the border. There is south of the border, where Leeds were effectively reborn as a new company in League One without being relegated.

"But it appears it's the desire of the Rangers administrators to emerge through a CVA."

The SPL later announced they are to investigate alleged undisclosed payments to players by Rangers.

But Gers did dodge one disciplinary hearing by the skin of their teeth yesterday after agreeing to stump up the £80,000 ticket money owed to Dunfermline.

Doncaster confirmed: "We learned the administrators had agreed to pay Dunfermline the outstanding money.

"So our action relating to Rangers went away.

"The board would have had a range of 18 different sanctions available to them, ranging from a warning to expulsion, if Rangers hadn't settled.

"We have clear rules about payment to other clubs within certain time frames. As soon as that gate money became late we received a request to take action. The matter has now been settled."

Its obvious they are looking for the worst possible punishment to hurt us but save their own skin at the same time. They may as well just come out with it "Rangers start with a 30 point deduction but there will be no relegation because we need them to visit other teams grounds"....thats practically what they are trying to get at.

Sorry, but I only read the first 10 or so lines and I'm flabbergasted! What is this all about?

Rangers F.C. have a 140 year history who have put Scottish football on the map and there are what I can only describe as small minded jealous little pricks out there wanting to put the boot in when we are at an all time low.

I think it's blatant bigotry going on at the moment. Scotland's Shame. So sad.

It's a load of nonsense folks. The media are having a field day with our current turmoil.

It seems as though they're trying to turn up the heat as well which is clearly not for the benefit of Scottish football, but just to sell newspapers.

You can all suit yourselves as ever, but I won't be buying into these catastrophic stories.

The sheer volley of crap today has been ridiculous. You can spin it whatever way you like Zappa but contained in this media nonsense is actual quotes confirming the stories - from Doncaster, Regan etc.

So it's not just all made up bullshit. If there were no quotes then you'd have a point.

Anyway, fwiw I think, honestly, in a strange weird sort of way I'd like Rangers to quit Scottish football and start again in England. I'd quite like to see the Scottish game go to the wall now, such has been the bile from other clubs about our predicament. Clubs who would not cope without Rangers.

The sheer volley of crap today has been ridiculous. You can spin it whatever way you like Zappa but contained in this media nonsense is actual quotes confirming the stories - from Doncaster, Regan etc.

So it's not just all made up bullshit. If there were no quotes then you'd have a point.

Anyway, fwiw I think, honestly, in a strange weird sort of way I'd like Rangers to quit Scottish football and start again in England. I'd quite like to see the Scottish game go to the wall now, such has been the bile from other clubs about our predicament. Clubs who would not cope without Rangers.

I'm certainly not alone here mate.....exactly what I want to see now, a move to England.

I'm certainly not alone here mate.....exactly what I want to see now, a move to England.

That's what my brother wants to see if we get shafted, but I have to say, I'm not completely in agreement and we've argued about it a lot recently.

The plus sides don't outway the negative sides and English football is ever increasingly on it's knees as well. Almost a third of Championship clubs spend more on player wages than what they take in overall revenue, so it's completely unsustainable. Many of the EPL clubs are the same except they're spending outwith their means to stay up rather then doing so trying to get promoted. The game of football down there is just as screwed as it is up here with the current system, but they just don't want to admit it.

Edited by Zappa

That is true, football in england is unsubstainable and perhaps Rangers moving there would be disastrous, but I see no alternative right now.

You like me cannot wave a magic wand for what is best for Rangers, but the stuff coming out on my tv in front of my family (and I have celtic fans within my family) are very disrespectful to Rangers FC and send out messages of hate and reject among the people of Scotland. I want to support my team in a healthy environment I'm sick of what 'the other side' continue to beat their drum about especially after for some time now Rangers supporters have heeded the call to rid themselves of the 'Billy Boy' culture and beyond.

Those from the 'East End' of the city want to see us obliterated from society......let's abandon Scotland as a football club, Scotland has abandoned us.