Rangers: Death by a thousand cuts

It's now been two weeks since Rangers entered administration and it's fair to say that since my last positive article (click here) the situation has worsened - even if the true position remains somewhat unclear.

Of course the daily drip feed of stories the media are already well aware of doesn't help. After all, with so many negative rumours and questionable agendas dictating the flow of information about the club, it is difficult for any fan to really make up their mind about just how good (or rather bad) things are. Unfortunately, when I wrote about opportunity last week, I was hoping it was from our point of view rather than for those who wish harm on our club.

What is clear though is that no matter the dubious tactics employed by some, the state of Rangers Football Club is now a national scandal. In many ways it now doesn't matter where the bad news is coming from, the way our club has been run for what now seems to be around 15 years is extremely worrying. Sure, some of the more contentious issues have yet to be proved - be it the as yet unfinished HMRC case or the unproven 'double-contract' allegation - but it now seems two successive club administrations played fast and loose with not only our club's proud reputation but its very future.

If you have a look at the graphic below you can see just how tangled a web our fiscal strategy has been since the late 1990s. From mortgaging off future revenue to high-stake gambling with our tax obligations, Craig Whyte and Sir David Murray have a lot of questions to answer. Yes, we may not always share colours with those that have delivered the message so far but the evidence of mismanagement and lies is now moving beyond circumstantial.

tangled_web.jpg

To that end, this Rangers supporter welcomes every investigation into the way our club has operated. Yes, there does appear to be an element of the kangaroo court in the manner some of these organisations have announced (or commented on) such enquiries but in the good name of our 140 year old club we must get to the root of this issue. If not, our club will be tarnished forever and that is more unacceptable than anything else.

Indeed, the club's very future is now in doubt. Despite promises by the administrators that liquidation remains 'unlikely' the opposite seems equally probable. Even if the 'big' tax case doesn't go against us it seems our debts are huge - firstly to the HMRC via other outstanding bills but also to Ticketus and Close Leasing. Add in the minimum of a one year European ban then our future revenue streams are gone and any potential investment would be lost to these obligations. And obligations they are for this bear. I don't want any part in immorally looking to hide from our debts - be it large or small creditors: after all let's remember some people owed money/services will be our very own fans!

Nevertheless the perpetual embarrassment of liquidation remains agreeable for some. This would mean a debt-free club, a tidy pay off for the existing owner (yes Craig Whyte's shares would then have some value) and the chance for any new owner to invest afresh with no noose over their neck. Clearly, some penalties would be imposed upon any new-co (and European football would be lost for several seasons) but the journey back to competitiveness would probably be a shorter one. One I sincerely don't want to see happen.

In that sense, the lack of information available on just who is genuinely interested in buying the club is disappointing. We're told there are six significant offers yet no party has offered to discuss their offer with the fans. Or if they have, the rank and file are not privy to the content. Fan groups have suggested a share issue is probable but what do we get in return? The emperor in new clothes - or a true step forward in the way the club is managed? As ever, we're in the dark but we've to pledge our financial support regardless? Pull the other one!

All in all this is one of the most shameful periods in the club's history. Be it Craig Whyte, David Murray or Lloyds Banking Group; our so-called club custodians have let us down to unforgivable levels. When the dust has cleared we can only hope these people are held to account for their risk-taking because not only will they deserve to be punished, the fans who have innocently funded their conceit will suffer most of all.

Our club may yet not die but even if the very worst doesn't happen the names above will be culpable. Shame on them all.

View from afar:

While all of the above is true and it all looks grim at the moment ... do keep in mind that the football world* only casts a side-glance in our direction and at our misery. It is "just" an episode that happens now and then all over the planet, to small clubs and to great clubs. And it is an episode that will pass into history and will (!) be forgotten by the football world very soon. For the latter is only interested in football matters, titles, fame, and the standing in the history of football and tradition.

We** all currently live in a hysteria climate and our enemies milk every moment and make it appear that this is the "end of days" story since the print machines were developed. And of course it is very hurtful to the Rangers support to be dragged into this and be treated like this. Which we should remember and keep in mind. But we should not overreact either. We have suffered it and have to learn from it. And we have to look to the future and try to make somesuch not happen again. This is the essential lesson learned from these days. For one thing is for sure: while the Hooped Horrors will never cease to let us know about this, the football world does not care. It moves on while we move on and it will as calmly report about title No. 55 (and hopefully many more) as they did about this dark blot on our off-field history. The latter though will never appear in any record books, nor will stay in the memory of the football world for long (if it ever took note, that is).

*And yes, while NewsNow et al may make this look like each and every football reporter is all over this story, the fact is that they aren't. 90% of all the hysteria and reporting comes from within Scotland and remains there. 9% of the rest are BBC reporting which is sadly spreading out the bad publicity all over Britain - since the World Service hardly takes a glance at Scottish football. What makes the headlines in other countries is what the BBC publishes on their websites et al and is seen as genuine reporting by the rest of the world, since they do not know the level this company has sunken to.

**That is the Rangers fans in Scotland. Over here, a few words have been lost about the fact that we have called in the administrators. Before that and afterwards, there was essentially nothing ever been said. While it concerns Rangers supporters worldwide, the football world as such "just" moves on.

Edited by der Berliner

dB:

I don't disagree with what you posted but, for me at least, this isn't about the media or fans of other clubs.

This is about Rangers FC and my own personal feelings. I'm disgusted by the actions of the people above and this scandal will affect the way I feel for the club forever - particularly if we go into liquidation.

Guest Dutchy

The biggest problem has been in fact the mismanagement of the club, and the fact that not only will they all get away scot-free with this crime against Rangers FC, some are going to make a tidy profit from it.

That's business helping itself, not everyone else as it claimed by idiot politicians that allow this to happen with no recourse to any legal action against these greedy criminals.

Disgusting!!!

Guest Dutchy
Not sure, if in the end, SDM actually made a profit...

I was meaning Craig Whyte and his helpers in particular as SDM probably didn't make as much as he had imagined he would have.

One of the reasons he fecked off toot sweet, IMO.

I'm surprised you managed to find such a dignified looking photo of Craig Whyte Frankie. In most photos of him he looks like a deer caught in a car's headlights, a startled Reindeer or the look of a man thinking "Why on earth am I trying to rip off this many people? They'll skin me alive. Oh fuck, what have I done?".