A Fantasy or a Nightmare?

Agreed, their history is still there so then, so would ours 'only' if we didn't buy another club and changed their name like the Airdrie Utd/Clydebank thing.

As you say Airdrie United have no history, Airdrionians do but they are gone forever just like Third Lanark, which would be the case with Rangers if they 'bought' another club.

I was born and bred in Airdrie and went to the odd game when Rangers were away etc and I can tell you that the hardcore don't think of Airdrie Utd as a "new" club but a lot of the old fashioned fans just drifted away. The two examples are totally different though and I tend to think it would be a much quicker thing....Rangers FC in liquidation one day and Glasgow Rangers FC born the next. That kind of speedy transition would a lot easier to swallow and 99% of fans would still feel the attachment.

I agree that in the event of liquidation and a newco being formed then assuming the possibility by whatever means existed, entry into the English leagues is by far the better option.

Even if it took us up to 5 years to reach just the Championship we'd find ourselves in a far more favorable position than at any level in the Scottish leagues.

Sure, the bubble could burst at any time for English football, but even then you can be sure the spoils will remain far greater than the SPL.

Scottish football has been dying a slow death due to lack of investment for a number of years. Our clubs current predicament is only going to serve to expedite that process.

So yes, IF liquidation is 'inevitable' then there will NEVER be a better time to jump ship.

BTW, do our players actually have contracts for the SFL? Over here, they sign contracts for the Bundesliga, but not necessarily the Bundesliga 2. Thus, once a club gets relegated, players do not need to fulfill their contracts if a club has not made sure that it is for all tiers of German professional football (we have Bundesliga 1, 2 and 3)..

Scottish football has been dying a slow death due to lack of investment for a number of years. Our clubs current predicament is only going to serve to expedite that process.

I doubt there has been much investment in English football either. All the income goes towards players fees and wages. There is little return on that money that is more than transient.

Apart from stadia and training centres I don't see what you can really invest in that will raise the game. Outside of the clubs we could invest in an infrastructure that allows as many people as possible to play and to learn the skills and tactics of the game.

So apart from grass roots, our football is mainly poor because other countries earn more money from TV. I can't see how investment would change that.

So apart from grass roots, our football is mainly poor because other countries earn more money from TV. I can't see how investment would change that.

TV money and sponsorship are the main sources of increased incomes I was referring to. That along with competitive stature of the leagues down south has lead to increased value and additional investment in clubs.

Sure, the player fees and wages in most cases do offset against income and financial fair play rules are going to have an effect on that which in our case I believe may work to our benefit were we to move to England.

TV money and sponsorship are the main sources of increased incomes I was referring to. That along with competitive stature of the leagues down south has lead to increased value and additional investment in clubs.

Yes but the money is usually almost all spent on players wages and if everyone gets richer then all you end up doing is paying more for pretty much the same players. The only real difference is that you get the cream of players from poorer countries - which could be argued sets back your country's development.

With a lot of money sloshing around you do get some spilled onto youth academies and training facilities as well as coaches and so that can have a developmental effect.

Of course money is also spent on infrastructure like stadiums.

Apart from that, I think the benefit of the money is transient. Take it away and you won't be left with much improvement from before the money arrived.

Sure, the player fees and wages in most cases do offset against income and financial fair play rules are going to have an effect on that which in our case I believe may work to our benefit were we to move to England.

Hopefully that will kick in once we've had some blue knights invest and a fan share issue... :)

The only real difference is that you get the cream of players from poorer countries - which could be argued sets back your country's development.

Yes, but it could be argued that Scotland's development has been hindered equally to England's through an influx of foreign players without being able to attract the 'cream' of players.

With a lot of money sloshing around you do get some spilled onto youth academies and training facilities as well as coaches and so that can have a developmental effect.

Yes and in turn the monetary value of the players you develop increases. Especially if you're not playing in a backwater league that's seen as easy pickings.

Apart from that, I think the benefit of the money is transient. Take it away and you won't be left with much improvement from before the money arrived.

Who's going to take away the money though?

Sorry to be a complete pedant BH, but I have to stress again that Airdrie were only able to buy Clydebank because Clydebank were also in administration and the administrators (PFK) were seeking a buyer. Clydebank had hoped to save their club and indeed had a bid to do so, but the Airdrie bid was higher and the administrators seemingly just went with the highest bid.... - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/2123541.stm

No need to apologise for being a pedant, Zappa, I am widely regarded as being one myself!

I take your point about Clydebank but equally if I am walking past your house and take fancy to it, there is nothing to stop me asking if you want to sell it, even if it doesn't have a for sale sign in front.

Again, I'm being a pedant here, but Chick Young actually quoted (well, paraphrased) Doncaster based on his comments on the previous night's Sportsound radio show.

Thanks will amend.

I spoke to Jim Spence today and he confirmed that Longmuir was singing off the same hymn sheet.