Yanks in Gers rescue bid

Could be offensive to those good ol' boys from the south... Like calling Scots, Limeys with the association that we're English.

It's mainly guys from the south i work with (oil men) and they are fine. it's a "banter" word not the "N" word etc

I work with Yanks, i work for a Yank company, i've lived in America. it's not offensive to them

It can be though. Whilst we use the term to mean Americams in general some of them consider it a term for the Yankees from the civil war - so some may (and I have heard do) consider it offensive.

Certainly, most of our Board members are US citizens and I would never use the term Yanks in their comoany for fear of offending (and fear of my job ;) )

It's mainly guys from the south i work with (oil men) and they are fine. it's a "banter" word not the "N" word etc

Me thinks you are thinking of the wrong "side" of the south. Houston and the likes may be south in terms of the US.... but "south" in terms of the civil war was a whole lot different.

I work with oil companies too - risk managers and CFO's - and I am sure that there would be offense taken by some of them if the term Yank were used. Dont forget that it also depends on the type of person you are working with - some will know the civil war history and some wont - plus, one mans "term of endearment" is another's offensive statement.

Me thinks you are thinking of the wrong "side" of the south. Houston and the likes may be south in terms of the US.... but "south" in terms of the civil war was a whole lot different.

I work with oil companies too - risk managers and CFO's - and I am sure that there would be offense taken by some of them if the term Yank were used. Dont forget that it also depends on the type of person you are working with - some will know the civil war history and some wont - plus, one mans "term of endearment" is another's offensive statement.

well in 20 years none have taken offence, i can only go with that

It bugs me that they say Singapore is in the far east. it's NOT. It's South Eat Asia. There a totally different way of living and mindset compares to the far east.

It is just Geographical ignorance mate, I would say it was the far east as well. People say I live in Holland when I don't Holland is in fact just a small part of the Netherlands.

It is just Geographical ignorance mate, I would say it was the far east as well. People say I live in Holland when I don't Holland is in fact just a small part of the Netherlands.

Yeah, but it's wrong, very wrong