D Murray Rubbishes The 2 Contracts Allegations

Sir David Murray has told the Scottish Premier League they have no grounds for an inquiry into alleged double contracts for players during his era as Rangers owner.

The probe followed claims made by former Ibrox director Hugh Adam that some payments were not included in official contracts that were registered with the SPL, with the 86-year-old "pretty sure" similar payments were being made as early as the mid-1990s.

The payments allegedly left out of official contracts centred on the use of Employee Benefit Trusts (EBTs), which were the subject of a tax tribunal in January.

Rangers, currently in administration, are still awaiting the outcome of the case regarding offshore payments made from 2001-10, which could cost the club up to £49million and which has been termed the 'big tax case'.

The 'small tax case' is the £2.8million which first emerged last April, before Murray sold the club to Craig Whyte, due to similar offshore payments, but which has risen with interest and penalties.

The Scottish Football Association initially pledged to look into the matter but then stepped back after the Scottish Premier League launched their own inquiry into the alleged non-disclosure to the SPL of payments to players.

However, Mike McGill, former Ibrox board member and Murray Group financial director, said: "The club used an old offshore EBT scheme in 1999 with three players.

"That scheme is the subject of the small tax case.

"The Revenue provided some information to us in early 2011 and we conceded based on that information and provided for payment in the club accounts. Craig Whyte didn't pay it.

"The other, larger scheme, started in 2001, involves a payment into an offshore trust, but there is no contractual entitlement on the part of the players.

"The whole basis of an EBT arrangement is that there is not a contractual entitlement.

"That is key to the defence, and key to the allegations made by the SFA."

Murray claims he has yet to hear from the SFA or the SPL on the matter, saying: "I've never spoken to Stewart Regan (SFA chief executive) or Neil Doncaster (SPL chief executive) in my life."

The former Rangers owner was just as adamant that everything to do with offshore payments was above board.

He said: "I've asked the auditors to go through it. I've looked through every year to check my facts.

"There was no double contract. There was categorically no dual contracts.

"What I would say is this. We went through 10 AGMs. We signed off accounts by Grant Thornton, the remuneration trust was always mentioned in the account, it was never hidden. And that's a fact."

Kind of interesting though. He's kept quiet all the way through and here he is categorically denying any illegality. This *could* ruin him as a business man, to lie right now.

However, we are well to be cautious since Whyte keeps talking nonsense.

Even though it's sdm it's reassuring to hear this as the dual contract thing seems to have been a rumour which originated on the web and has since grown arms and legs to the point where it's being taken as fact particularly by non-Gers sites.

I've seen it mentioned on a few sites. But I think it was Darrell King who started the rumour. There a links to a radio program on you tube with him discussing it.

Personally I don't think Murray would've been that stupid to give players 2 contracts. He would've really been leaving himself open to all sorts possibly even jail.

I've seen it mentioned on a few sites. But I think it was Darrell King who started the rumour. There a links to a radio program on you tube with him discussing it.

Personally I don't think Murray would've been that stupid to give players 2 contracts. He would've really been leaving himself open to all sorts possibly even jail.

Yes it was Darrell King who said he had seen them, but I'm sure he has since denied seeing two contracts.

Kind of interesting though. He's kept quiet all the way through and here he is categorically denying any illegality. This *could* ruin him as a business man, to lie right now.

However, we are well to be cautious since Whyte keeps talking nonsense.

Can't see where he could be lying. What he's said is the truth. You can't do an EBT at all if it's contractual and the trusts were mentioned every year in the accounts. The auditors did sign off every year.

That's the facts of the case.