UPDATE - Conversation with Mr John Bennett (Blue Knights)

Yes it is Zappa; but the point he made to me was that at the level that he would want to invest it would be much more than a spare time thing and that the amount of time (full-time he described it as) would be inconsistent with the performance of his day job. He has a good reputation as a fund manager and he doesn't want to lose it.

So you mean he will be leaving his day Job? What he said above.

Yes it is Zappa; but the point he made to me was that at the level that he would want to invest it would be much more than a spare time thing and that the amount of time (full-time he described it as) would be inconsistent with the performance of his day job. He has a good reputation as a fund manager and he doesn't want to lose it.

I'm taking from your info that he wants to invest, but it is far from certain that he will, based on the fact he can't give the time to look after his investment in the club.

Also, it worries me that PM is dropping his name before it really should have been?

I'm taking from your info that he wants to invest, but it is far from certain that he will, based on the fact he can't give the time to look after his investment in the club.

Also, it worries me that PM is dropping his name before it really should have been?

Exactly correct on both counts.

Absolutely nothing to stop him investing what he wants; but he made it clear in the conversation that at the level he would invest, he would expect a degree of involvement that would be inconsistent with continuing to perform his day job.

I have to look after the interests of my clients who are invested in his Fund. Therefore it is entirely appropriate for me to question the amount of time he might spend on Rangers if the bid is successful. Surely it is better to do that now, than after the event. Once you become involved to that extent (possibly as a director) you cannot simply switch on and off and say: I'll only deal with Rangers business when I have time or when I am on holiday or take a day off as he did yesterday. It is a 24/7 thing.

I wasn't suggesting that anyone would think "he's worth a sum equal to the value of the funds he manages". What I was suggesting, and he agreed with me, was that some might think he could invest some of that money in Rangers, which he cannot.

We don't often disagree FS, I hope I have clarified my view on this one.

No it's not often we do BH.

While I respect your right to raise and voice your concerns , I'm concerned that people of the calibre we require won't come forward. I fully expect 'he who pays the piper calls the tune' and understand it.

Take a look across the city and the boardroom there with a couple of exceptions is full of "big hitters", even the board we had prior to the takeover had it's share of "big hitters", most of these people are not restricted to one or two jobs and their 'football job' doesn't appear to hamper their ability to do their 'real job'.

If we are to extract ourselves out of our present quagmire it's people the calibre of John Bennett and the other BK's that we require.

I fully understand and accept your concern for the funds of your clients that are invested with Hendersons, but I honestly don't think they would tolerate any slippage in standards or performance of the funds just so John Bennett could indulge his passion.

It never occurred to me that fans would think he could invest his firms money in RFC, perhaps you're correct and I was being over generous regarding that particular notion.

Also do you know if Brian Phillips is also known as 'George Phillips'?

Reading between the lines of what he said, I think this is what happened:

• Either he contacted PM to express an interest (most likely) or PM contacted him (doesn't really matter)

• PM was desperate to get credibility by adding names to the consortium so he mentioned JB when all that had happened was an expression of interest.

• JB gets inundated with calls from the press (he suggested that in my call).

• JB comes up to Glasgow to find out the score and realises it's a full-time job.

• He goes back home and his CEO hits him with my letter and quite possibly similar calls or letters.

• I think you can guess what happens next.

No it's not often we do BH.

While I respect your right to raise and voice your concerns , I'm concerned that people of the calibre we require won't come forward. I fully expect 'he who pays the piper calls the tune' and understand it.

Take a look across the city and the boardroom there with a couple of exceptions is full of "big hitters", even the board we had prior to the takeover had it's share of "big hitters", most of these people are not restricted to one or two jobs and their 'football job' doesn't appear to hamper their ability to do their 'real job'.

If we are to extract ourselves out of our present quagmire it's people the calibre of John Bennett and the other BK's that we require.

I fully understand and accept your concern for the funds of your clients that are invested with Hendersons, but I honestly don't think they would tolerate any slippage in standards or performance of the funds just so John Bennett could indulge his passion.

It never occurred to me that fans would think he could invest his firms money in RFC, perhaps you're correct and I was being over generous regarding that particular notion.

Also do you know if Brian Phillips is also known as 'George Phillips'?

I think the big difference here FS is that JB is an employed person not an entrepeneur. He has 25 years invested in his reputation (a point he made at least twice in the conversation) and as you know it takes along time to build such a reputation but it can be lost in seconds.

I think you hit on exactly the point. IF his performance were to suffer, it might be just some bad judgement but he would be wide open to the charge of having taken his eye off the ball ('scuse the pun) in which case he could lose his job (fund management is a bit like being a football manager, you're only as good as your last 6 months performance, sometimes less). You can have come up through all the divisions but if you're in the relgation zone that counts for nothing. I don't think he is going to take that chance. Expect an early announcement.

Sorry don't know either Brian Phillips or 'George Phillips' but I just googled that and came up with a company director check for Mr Brian George Phillips:

Mr Brian George Phillips has 7 company director or secretary appointments.

Short name - Brian Phillips

Director ID : 902769798

Month/Year of Birth: 10/1939

Why?

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Sorry don't know either Brian Phillips or 'George Phillips' but I just googled that and came up with a company director check for Mr Brian George Phillips:

Mr Brian George Phillips has 7 company director or secretary appointments.

Short name - Brian Phillips

Director ID : 902769798

Month/Year of Birth: 10/1939

Why?

Most of the info I got came as George not Brian I assumed it was the same but I didn't get anything as Brian George but what I got for George tallied with what I had for Brian if you know what I mean, sounds better than it reads.

It's not that particular Mr Brian George Phillips anyway, thanks nonetheless.