Reaction to Lafferty's wedding in a Catholic church

What a sad, depressing thread.

I don't think so. Leaving aside the off-topic personal stuff, I think it is worth discussing such subjects in a mature way.

Indeed, the Rangers Standard thing which will be launching this month is aiming to do so in an interesting fashion.

I'll be interested to see what Rangers Standard is about, I hope it's a step towards detaching ourselves from the narrow minded nonsense that has blighted us for generations. I can but hope!

Essentially it's about creating high quality debate into many aspects of the club via a different method to existing resources. More info soon but it certainly should be a welcome addition to the community.

I'll be interested to see what Rangers Standard is about, I hope it's a step towards detaching ourselves from the narrow minded nonsense that has blighted us for generations. I can but hope!

Personally I think you are mixing 2 things up Juan. Being a Protestant (or member of any religion) does not mean you are a drunken ned singing party songs. There is nothing wrong in being proud of your religion. I personally call myself a protestant if people ask me but the fact is religion doesn't interest me in the least to be honest. I only use it because I certainly don't want to be labelled to any other religion I have also never taught\forced my religion on my children. They have totally no idea what the inside of a church looks like. Admittedly it is easier to remain separated from religion here in Holland as it plays virtually no role whatsoever in day to day life for the most people.

As for football, My daughter is a FC Twente supporter and my son is a Feynoord supporter so I am afraid I let the team down on that one as well.:sigh:

Personally I think you are mixing 2 things up Juan. Being a Protestant (or member of any religion) does not mean you are a drunken ned singing party songs. There is nothing wrong in being proud of your religion. I personally call myself a protestant if people ask me but the fact is religion doesn't interest me in the least to be honest. I only use it because I certainly don't want to be labelled to any other religion I have also never taught\forced my religion on my children. They have totally no idea what the inside of a church looks like. Admittedly it is easier to remain separated from religion here in Holland as it plays virtually no role whatsoever in day to day life for the most people.

As for football, My daughter is a FC Twente supporter and my son is a Feynoord supporter so I am afraid I let the team down on that one as well.:sigh:

Does one need to be a drunken ned to sing party songs, or does singing party songs make one a drunken ned?

Edited by caseyjones

People generalise too much when it comes to singing such songs.

I enjoy singing the Sash and Derrys Walls (to name but two) as much as the next man but I wouldn't consider myself a loyalist, Ulster Scot or indeed someone looking to make a political point. They're just bloody good songs and generally harmless fun.

The inference from MPs and the like that singing a song makes someone a bigot is daft. All the more so when they purport to differentiate between certain terms and songs.

Seems the OP thinks everyone should think his way or be labeled Bigots good that he decides what does and what does not a bigot make.

I think the scum and the catholic church have done a very good job with the weak minded and bereft of thought brigade.

Sorry for pulling you up Pete but the part in bold makes me cringe...I have no problem with genuine religious people per se but as a fierce Atheist I will happily explain to them why it's all nonsense all day long however,let's be honest here and say that most (not all) of the Rangers fans who declare themselves Protestant are no more so than the mhanky hordes are Catholic. It's used as a weapon against the other side pure and simple. It's the same with all this recent Royal love, it's only amped up to serve as a tool to wind up "the bheasts".

I know there are lots of moderate Protestant Rangers fans out there and I apologise for tarring them with the same brush but 25+ years of supporting Rangers and living in West Central Scotland have shown me that these folks are few and far between. It's time to be upfront and honest about this stuff, we're changing as a club and now is a crucial time for our support. The siege mentality has brought out the worst in FTP brigade.

I used to be one of them many years ago and only last night entertained family and friends with a rendition of Build My Galllows etc after a few beers, as Frankie says party songs don't make you a bigot. Using a fake loyalty to a religious sect as a weapon against another does though.

Sadly, many Rangers forums aren't just populated exclusively by Rangers fans and many, it seems, are populated by trouble making Timothy's out to blacken the name of the support and are backed up by a section of our own support too stupid/bitter to know better.

Having been around the mixed forums for about 3/4 years now, particularly the BBC, it was obvious (to me) who the Timposters were, they'd log on, rant about how angry the were then sign off with WATP or FTP or similar.

The guy in the Sunday Mirror newspaper clip doing the rounds , stinks of Timposter, but sadly a section of our support mirrors such extreme views, namely the OO who would probably agree wholeheartedly with such views.

I have no great affection for Lafferty (the prick tried to fire into my wife 3 years ago(who is a RC - I see a trend here)) but he should be applauded for punching way above his weight.

Sorry for pulling you up Pete but the part in bold makes me cringe...I have no problem with genuine religious people per se but as a fierce Atheist I will happily explain to them why it's all nonsense all day long however,let's be honest here and say that most (not all) of the Rangers fans who declare themselves Protestant are no more so than the mhanky hordes are Catholic. It's used as a weapon against the other side pure and simple. It's the same with all this recent Royal love, it's only amped up to serve as a tool to wind up "the bheasts".

I know there are lots of moderate Protestant Rangers fans out there and I apologise for tarring them with the same brush but 25+ years of supporting Rangers and living in West Central Scotland have shown me that these folks are few and far between. It's time to be upfront and honest about this stuff, we're changing as a club and now is a crucial time for our support. The siege mentality has brought out the worst in FTP brigade.

I used to be one of them many years ago and only last night entertained family and friends with a rendition of Build My Galllows etc after a few beers, as Frankie says party songs don't make you a bigot. Using a fake loyalty to a religious sect as a weapon against another does though.

Taking the UK as a whole, a measly 1% of this 'Royal love' is taking place in Scotland. Towns and villages throughout our nation are displaying flags, bunting and cheery support for Her Majesty without a thought for Celtic or Irish Republicanism entering their heads.