Why we should not pay football debts.

Guest reallyruff
Rangers could donate to RFFF and they could pay

In brown envelopes and under the table I presume. How can we talk about the morality or honour in meeting these debts while discounting the debt owed to the public purse simply because the people to whom we owe these ''football'' debts may hold us in higher regard for having done so or ,God forbid, because we may need their good graces for some decision in the future. If that doesn't smack of acting out of self interest rather than morality then I don't know what does.

In brown envelopes and under the table I presume. How can we talk about the morality or honour in meeting these debts while discounting the debt owed to the public purse simply because the people to whom we owe these ''football'' debts may hold us in higher regard for having done so or ,God forbid, because we may need their good graces for some decision in the future. If that doesn't smack of acting out of self interest rather than morality then I don't know what does.

Perhaps the difference lies in the fact that the "debt to the public purse" was the result of crooked (allegedly) financial trickery by the owning company whereas the "football debts" were more like errors of management within club business?

Under Scottish law, these creditors are and must be treated exactly the same way as any other unsecured creditor. This means that any attempt to settle these debts in full, would be illegal.

If the above is correct and I dont know if it is or not then, would we be breaking the law by paying back the debts ?

Unfortunately I think this is correct.. The "football creditors' rule" in England means that debts to other clubs or players are prioritised and must be paid in full before the club is eligible to compete again in the league. This does not apply in Scotland.

Agree with Cumbernauld,don't pay the debts. Feel sorry for Rapid Vienna but all Scottish clubs...fuck them. They are snagging us out of the Spl for being a newco but may well expect us to still pay the oldco's debts. Can't have it both ways.

Don't pay them a penny.