Farewell to a club steeped in bigotry

This was written 4 years ago but never posted.....

Over the last decade a frenzied, often hysterical, debate has raged over the impact of sectarianism in our society. The problem with this is that it comes at least thirty years after Scotland actually overcame the problem in almost every meaningful way. This is certainly the conclusion of the published 2004 academic study 'Sectarianism in Scotland' by Bruce, Glendinning, Paterson and Rosie. Bruce et al distil the societal, economic, legal, statistical and indeed anecdotal evidence to conclude that sectarianism has little meaning or tangible influence across Scotland other than some distasteful verbals by supporters of Rangers and Celtic. The Old Firm are therefore synonymous with the sectarian problem yet only Rangers appear to be constantly harangued for this. It has, sadly, become a somewhat childish game of faux offence. Let me say at this point that I desperately wish I didn’t have to have an opinion on all this nonsense. However, the manipulated perception of Rangers and their fans means I reluctantly have to.

In an increasingly secular, multicultural and intertwined world it would be too simplistic and outdated to label Rangers and Celtic as Protestant and Catholic teams. But equally it would be a disservice to Scottish history not to concede they have a respective Protestant and Catholic heritage. It appears that for one club this heritage is to be celebrated, yet for the other it is absolutely taboo. When a recent high profile player joined Celtic it was merrily reported that his agent said words to the effect that 'he was delighted to be joining a great Catholic team'. Not a single eyebrow was raised throughout the country. Now imagine the collective hysteria had Kyle Lafferty said on signing up at Ibrox that he was 'delighted to be joining up a great Protestant team'. It would be perceived to be the most shockingly sectarian incident since the Ibrox grass was – according to a fallacious report in the News Of The World - cut in a sectarian manner. Really!

Sasha Baron Cohen's character, Ali G, touches at the heart of this every time he asks ‘is it because I is black?’. In Scotland the question isnt one of colour, but religion, and is designed to prey on malleable people’s baseless guilt. As the more vocal ‘Celtic Minded’ know, if you exploit this sufficiently you will be absolved from any degree of accountability. Artur Boruc’s peculiarly un-Christian Old Firm antics represent a case in point in this respect. No matter how crass his behaviour, it cannot be questioned as it is interpreted as an attack on his faith, which is to be revered. A powerful lobby is always on hand to vindicate him irrespective of the facts. Similarly, Neil Lennon’s yobbish behaviour and insults were never questioned for as long as he could claim to be a victim of similar abuse. It doesn’t work both ways apparently.

So while Rangers as a club and the fans’ songs are scrutinised to the nth degree, high profile Celtic personalities can freely share a billing with fiercely pro-IRA bands without any recourse from the media. Gross double standards abound and no media personality has the gumption to care or backbone to question.

There has undoubtedly been a coordinated and sustained effort by the media-savvy ‘Celtic Minded’ to keep control over the sectarian industry. The aggressive media management by Celtic and the overbearing influence of only one church at Holyrood compare so favourably set against the media impotence of Rangers and the invisibility of Scotland’s largest church. The Celtic Minded are more united, image-conscious and on-message. The equivalent Rangers Minded can barely agree on the need for a message, let alone what it might be. Rangers as a club understand public relations in the same way an amoeba understands Shakespeare.

Disparity breeds contempt and polarises views. If you’re controlling the debate of course you don’t care. When you are on the receiving end of it though, it creates resentment and anger. What harmony, trust and consensus can be achieved in such circumstances? After all we live in a country where it’s instantly deemed bigoted to question the social and economic sense of segregating children at five years of age. This reminds us we have a long way to go before the fog of hysteria clears. Rangers have a responsibility to become more involved in the wider social debate, to inspire, defend and lead the fans. It would most certainly help if they would refute the endless nonsense we are subjected to in a similar manner to the way Celtic obsessively defend themselves. All we want is parity of treatment. Abuse of Rangers stars, fans, etc must be taken as seriously as that directed against Celtic and the heritage of both clubs should be treated with the same honesty and respect.

The above is not intended to deflect from some real issues that the Rangers support must face, in particular, the crass lyrics of some of the singing repertoire. There is so much more to celebrate about The Rangers than some tired old rubbish about the Pope, the famine or ‘Jacobites’. Thankfully, though, significant progress is being made on this front.

Indeed the Rangers support must be ready for real change in our time, most notably if the movement towards Scottish independence gathers force. The bonds that tie the British nations have alarmingly diminished over the last decade, partly due to unpopular participation in Blair and Bush’s Middle East chaos and partly due to the failings of Westminster Labour government riddled with Scots. The question of Scottish independence should always be open but it should never be based on sentiment, either for or against, as nationalism should never be more important than opportunity, prosperity and fairness. If it can objectively be demonstrated to be better for the people of Scotland then so be it, although for me the case has yet to be proven beyond the risks.

So ‘British-ness’ is out of fashion, bitter Anglophobia is tolerated and on the rise and the Union is under threat. While many Rangers fans will be fearful of this it cannot be said that all will. For the truth is the Rangers support is a genuinely broad church when it comes to issues of national identity, religious belief, interest or dedication to Loyalist institutions, the monarchy, the political spectrum, and social values. The Rangers support reaches all across Scotland; from Shetland to the Borders there are legions of Rangers fans.

Every time I see someone wearing a Rangers top it makes me smile. It can even make my day when I’m far away from Scotland. And I don’t give a second thought to their politics, creed, religion or nationality – ultimately I have a bond with them on the one thing that transcends all – the Famous Glasgow Rangers. My team.

off FF

Edited by Steve1872

Slight case of suffering from the symptoms of verbal diarrhea.

I think I will leave it up to an Irish journalist Ian O'Doherty ,who wrote in the Irish Independent in Dublin to describe Celtic fans:

"Second only to Scousers, Celtic fans carry more chips on their shoulders than a branch of McDonald's. Quick to express to any sense of offence,they exhibit a sense of entitlement that would make a Cork man blush with shame. An still they wonder why we hate them."

DB Why do you hate Celtic. Hate is an emotion. I have totally no emotion for them. I couldn't give a shit about them. I don't want to be like them starting up websites to magnify or search for sticks to throw at them. Hate is a big word all our emotion shold be aimed at loving Rangers.

DB Why do you hate Celtic. Hate is an emotion. I have totally no emotion for them. I couldn't give a shit about them. I don't want to be like them starting up websites to magnify or search for sticks to throw at them. Hate is a big word all our emotion shold be aimed at loving Rangers.

Methinks I said it before: I do not "hate" them. I solely have utter contempt for them now. The hate line was in that quote from an Irish reporter commenting on his feelings about them.

Probably be better to reply in the Irish Independent, but all I can be bothered to retort is that when we draw Division 3 teams in the Scottish Cup, civil chaos does not descend upon the towns we visit.

Not that surprising, but I am a bit disappointed that with so many open goals of our own making at their disposal, the haters are still inventing scenarios from within their own inadequacies.

More annoying than such scribblings is that of the well-respected BBC these days, spitefully and mockingly make it a fact that the "Rangers newco" is no longer "Rangers" ...

The Rangers newco has applied to join the Scottish Football League after having their bid to replace the old Ibrox club in the Scottish Premier League rejected.

Chief executive Charles Green says the relaunched Rangers will play in whatever division the SFL deems fit , but manager Ally McCoist favours an entry to the bottom tier, the Third Division.

In time, Green should tell these BBC idiots where to buy their tickets. Gleeful tossers to the core.

why even post this crap on here??..

/ppfft

Your right stuff like that does not belong on here it deserves only the small audience of mixed up bigots that will be foaming at the mouth reading it.