Nobody likes us! We should care!

I'm a Glaswegian so I'll bow to your greater experience, ya gloryhunter:yesrfc::grin:

There was a good piece on that Rangers Standard today again, a Fifer talking about how his folks weren't keen on our type of Protestantism. I'm paraphrasing badly but he made an interesting point and relevant to this thread.

Rangers Standard, hmpff. Went on there today, first time in a fortnight, it was like a flaming revivalist meeting. Protestant Identity! Protestant Identity! Hard Work! Loyalty! Protestant Identity!

I wish it well but the heavy focus on matters spiritual is too much for me.

It was relevant though didn't you think, even if you disagreed with it? I like the fact they've got some writers who don't support Rangers holding a mirror up to us. If the Protestant identity thing is an issue it should be discussed. I didn't get the feeling that any of them were suggesting using Billy Graham as the half time entertainment. I've no problem with Rangers being a 'Protestant club', I've some big issues with how some express that though.

If our current 'Protestant identity' has played a part in this mess and is hindering us moving on then it's relevant and should be discussed. It of course could have no bearing at all.

Why cant people just watch Rangers for football?

I'm sick to death of the people that have ruined Rangers over the years with there Protestant pish, RANGERS are a football club. If you want to be a good proddy then go to church on a Sunday dont come to the game or spoil the fans websites with this and the NI stuff.

I have to admit i'm starting to find a section of our fans are hypocrite's, they foam at the mouth everytime somebody at celtic mentions anything to do with catholicism or irish republicanism but at the same time bang on about Rangers fans being good proddy's.

My one wish for when we start playing football again is that we stick to football and leave this stuff in the past.

Rant over.

It was relevant though didn't you think, even if you disagreed with it? I like the fact they've got some writers who don't support Rangers holding a mirror up to us. If the Protestant identity thing is an issue it should be discussed. I didn't get the feeling that any of them were suggesting using Billy Graham as the half time entertainment. I've no problem with Rangers being a 'Protestant club', I've some big issues with how some express that though.

If our current 'Protestant identity' has played a part in this mess and is hindering us moving on then it's relevant and should be discussed. It of course could have no bearing at all.

First thread I read, yeah I agree. And the second. By the time I had read through

"The Sash We Never Sang"

"Rangers, Protestantism and Scottish Society"

"Where is our Protestant identity?" and

"Who Do We Think We Are?"

I had had too much of a good thing. All good articles (excellent, in fact) and I can quite see why they are proud of them, but it needs leavened with some other chat as well, for me. But that's just me.

Having been brought up in a part of Scotland where it was totally unimportant what your religion was and having been a Rangers supporter from the age of 10, I was backing my club for years before I really learned what this bigotry stuff was all about. I thought it was ridiculous when I found out and I find it ridiculous now.

"A Protestant club" indeed! It's a FOOTBALL club!

No wonder the rest of Scottish football revels in our troubles - they would do the same if it was Celtic.

Let religion and politics play their own parts in our lives but please let our Football be pure - it's time to grow up and leave this nonsense behind.

I can honestly say I've never seen anything like a Protestant identity at Rangers. There is very little sign of Christianity and I'd say with a lot of the behaviour a person coming from another planet would probably best guess our religious identity as devil worshipping diabolists (apologies for the tautology).

I also have no idea why good Church of Scotland members would be unable to help themselves from singing songs about a small order that they have nothing to do with and no little about. In fact sometimes I don't even know how that applies to any SANE person.

You even get people going on about being "proud to be Protestant" without even knowing that pride is a sin in that religion. It's a complete oxymoron. People should be humble to be a Christian and have a lot of other virtues.

If you want to sing Christian songs at the top of your voice why not just join the Salvation Army and perhaps do some good in the name of your religion? Why do people instead bastardise and usurp a religion as an excuse to be bad instead of good - and sometimes pretty evil?

If people want a Protestant Christian identity so badly they would be best joining a church, worshipping God and Christ, and applying the teachings of the bible to live a life where you do good things in your community to make it a better, more spiritual and more enlightening place.

I think that would be something far better to aspire to than putting all your energies into insulting and offending a different branch of what is pretty much the same religion.

I have no protestant identity, but try to be a half decent person, and would like to escape life's troubles by strangely being absorbed by a bunch of guys kicking a round thing around with enough rules to make it a decent sport. Please let me follow my team without all this absolute twaddle about which school people went to.

Having been brought up in a part of Scotland where it was totally unimportant what your religion was and having been a Rangers supporter from the age of 10, I was backing my club for years before I really learned what this bigotry stuff was all about. I thought it was ridiculous when I found out and I find it ridiculous now.

"A Protestant club" indeed! It's a FOOTBALL club!

No wonder the rest of Scottish football revels in our troubles - they would do the same if it was Celtic.

Let religion and politics play their own parts in our lives but please let our Football be pure - it's time to grow up and leave this nonsense behind.

Very good post mate. The bit in bold is true and i hope it's something that happens.